How long did it take you to break even/start saving $$ ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I guess I'm lucky since my first month with an e-cig cost less than the analogs .. I also don't experiment much with liquids and have not purchased any that I could not at least use (some better than others) .. my monthy cost is around $20.00 currently and I have at least 4-6 months of cartos / liquids built up .. my analog cost was about $150.00 - $160.00 a month ..

carpedebass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
The Alamo City
Coming from a country where cigarettes are dirt cheap, I doubt I'll be saving any money from vaping.

Over here, a pack of cigarettes cost about a dollar or less. E-juice is around $6 - $8 for a 10ml bottle.

That is true...until you count the cost of cancer treatment.

JTman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
SE Michigan
Took me about 6 months in before I was in the green. By that time I had finally settled on what worked for me. I traded my Provari for a reo Grand a few months later and then I bought a nice supply of cartos and still have a huge stockpile of juice I have collected that I have just been vaping on. Come to think of it I dont think I have placed an order in about 2 months! WooHoo!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You start to break even and then make money when you stop buying hardware, except for cartos, atty replacements and the occasional battery replacement. Juice is the cheapest element in the equation.

Even though, I was smoking 2 PAD. At $30 a carton for the cheapest name brand, that was $180 a month, so I had a lot of room to play. The first month, I bought a Joye 510 starter kit. a few weeks later, I bought a Joye Ego starter kit. 6 months later, I bought a couple of extra Ego batteries and the Mega Type A cone atty and then the MEGA Type B atty, followed by the Tank versions of those when they came out. In between my starting point and the Tanks, I just used the standard 510 atty. I bought a 306 atty and a drip tip last and found that to be a great vape for sitting around the house.

Now, I'm into the Boge LR cartos and the CE2 clearomizers. I really like the Boge cartos better than anything I've tried. The CE2 clearos are good, but not quite up to the taste level of the Boge. I still use a 306 drip tip and a Little Dwarf drip atty from time to time. The Little Dwarf is an 801 thread and requires a $4 adapter to fit the Ego. It's a 3 ohm atty and works best with a 3.7v batt and I'm told it rocks with a 5v box mod.

The Dwarf 801 Dripper's Atomizer

I still think I've saved money in the last year and a half. Still smoking, 18 months x $180 would be $3240. I don't think I've come any where near that with my hardware and $50 a month in juices.

Last edited:
It took me 3 months, and that was because I sat down to do a budget and realized that the "it's cheaper than smoking" argument was causing me to spend far more than smoking. Since I've found hardware I like and started DIY, I'm saving at least $2 a day as long as I'm careful. As I get stocked up on essentials, that number keeps going up and up. I'd do something cool with the money like I always hoped, but so far it's going to meet budget needs like debt. So no new toys, but in a couple years, I think I will be thanking vaping, ECF, many forum members, and several vendors for helping me be able to buy a house. :D

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
Coming from a country where cigarettes are dirt cheap, I doubt I'll be saving any money from vaping.

Over here, a pack of cigarettes cost about a dollar or less. E-juice is around $6 - $8 for a 10ml bottle.

Sure glad they're not that cheap in the US. Cost isn't the only reason to switch though.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I wasn't a heavy smoker..about 3 packs a week ($15 a week.. $60 a month) give or take. I wanted to quit for health reasons, cost and because I hated being a slave to cigarettes. I didn't smoke in the house or around the children. every night when they went to bed I went outside with my cigarettes and a book. I was also a closet smoker and I couldn't really go anywhere because I always worried how I would be able to get my fix at night. I also hated the way I smelled.

It took me 3 months after starting vaping to quit. I didn't push it, just eventually realized that I preferred vaping to smoking. I haven't gone wild with spending but the learning curve can be expensive. I've upgraded several times to a vv bottom feeder. I dont think I have saved much because I didn't spend that much to begin with. I now vape in the house and around my children. I vape way more than I smoked. While I enjoy vaping I don't want to be a slave to anything again.

KAC_fenris

Aug 21, 2011
Philippines
That is true...until you count the cost of cancer treatment.

Yeah! The only way for people here to really quit smoking is if the government starts increasing the tax of cigarettes... The problem is, the tobacco companies can easily "bully" the government to do what they want.

If the taxes for tobacco products increased (without affecting the e-cig business), I'm sure a lot of people will switch to e-cigs.

...although, we already have a growing number of vapers over here. We even have a local forum!

x-smok3

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Tennessee
The first 2 months I was really obsessed with how much I spent vs saved. My tastes are simple and a Kgo or Riva with some fluxomizers do it for me. I used to spend about $150 a month on analogs and was averaging $100 a month on E-cig stuff ( less than that for the past month) but honestly it does not matter to me anymore and I quit keeping track. The benefits in my health, quality of life, and the fact that I don't smell like an ashtray offsets any cost.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
I started saving at my 6 month mark. What killed my savings was the DIY. FA & TFA flavors are expensive! I now have enough flavor variety to make just about any recipe I come across and enough to last for at least 2 years if not longer on some of the flavors. I bought enough hardware for about 2+ years, so from now on I will save about $152.00 per month for the next +year and then I figure I will spend about $15.00 per month. Smoking cigs cost me $152.00 per month so I am very happy. If you buy every new thing that comes out you will never save a penny, you'll have a lot of fun though!

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Yeah! The only way for people here to really quit smoking is if the government starts increasing the tax of cigarettes... The problem is, the tobacco companies can easily "bully" the government to do what they want.

If the taxes for tobacco products increased (without affecting the e-cig business), I'm sure a lot of people will switch to e-cigs.

Why do people still believe this works? I've heard of as much as $14 a pack in some places, and people still smoke. Cigs were around $2 20 years ago when they started all the taxes to "help people quit". It doesn't work, and yet somehow the governments look like heroes for making $12/pack by adding a tax to an addictive substance, and the tobacco companies are painted as greedy, evil opportunists.

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't think I'll ever save much money, but that wasn't my motive to switch anyhow.

I used to smoke a little over a pack a day at about $5 = ~$40/week. Now I use a $20 bottle of juice and 2 - 3 $2 cartomizers = ~$26/week. I've slowed way down now on buying different kits/combos of hardware, but even if I never buy another PV (which probably won't happen :) ) there are still batteries, chargers, etc. to buy. In theory that leaves maybe $500 a year to experiment... let's just say it'll be a few years yet. :p

The next thing I should do is learn to DIY my juice, but I'm only really using one particular flavor on a daily basis, so I'll have to try to figure out how to make it, which will likely get expensive in the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread