Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
The connector on mine is pretty much stripped. Light usage over maybe two months. It's now relegated to a stay-at-home ohm meter. Most likely will either take it apart and see if I can't fix it, or give it to my lady for a backup. It's cool and the gang, though, I have my SVD for home and a K-100 for the road, both superior products in my mind.

Greetings Cuando; Can I ask why you leave your SVD at home, is it to keep it Mr. Clean? (Had to try to match that 'Cool and the Gang,' awesome phrase!)

I ask because I have an SVD on the way. I was thinking of leaving my Vamo at the office, and use the SVD for carry-around (there's no trouble dropping an APV in the pocket of my coat now that i'm dressing for winter). I hoped the SVD was sturdy enough to cart around like that.

My first Vamo started to go wonky 3 days after I got it (malfunctioning minus button), and the replacement is showing signs that the fire button is worse than the typical unpredictability in terms of having to repeat 5 clicks to turn it on/off. If this one goes the way of the first, i'm going to insist on being able to return it entirely, and getting a credit with which to buy something else. God-honest-truth I've been thinking about getting a K100, which I guess makes me some sort of vape Doppler to you, Cuando, but i'm not totally sure i'm ready for a mech mod just yet.

Regards
Glenn

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
@Glenn_K: You have surely had bad luck with your Vamos. I would guess they are coming from a shoddy manufacturer or possibly even purchased as seconds that didn't pass Quality Control or were returns. Doesn't mean the vendor selling them to you knew it, but he might have "gotten a real good deal on them" not realizing they were discounted for a reason. (Or he might have even paid the normal price for them not realizing they were sub-par stock.)

My SS V3 (purchased from FastTech) is a few months old and works perfectly. No thread problems, finish looks great. It did turn itself off twice about a month ago, but hasn't happened since. I really like it.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
@Glenn_K: You have surely had bad luck with your Vamos. I would guess they are coming from a shoddy manufacturer or possibly even purchased as seconds that didn't pass Quality Control or were returns. Doesn't mean the vendor selling them to you knew it, but he might have "gotten a real good deal on them" not realizing they were discounted for a reason. (Or he might have even paid the normal price for them not realizing they were sub-par stock.)

My SS V3 (purchased from FastTech) is a few months old and works perfectly. No thread problems, finish looks great. It did turn itself off twice about a month ago, but hasn't happened since. I really like it.

You may have hit the nail on the head- 2 Chinese Vendors. The Vamos ordered by friends from FT seemed to be, on the average, of better quality than the ones ordered from VB. Both my Vamos were from FT.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto

You may have hit the nail on the head- 2 Chinese Vendors. The Vamos ordered by friends from FT seemed to be, on the average, of better quality than the ones ordered from VB. Both my Vamos were from FT.

Greetings; I figure that if a device is faulty, it may have come from a wonky batch, so any replacement from the same source has a higher than average chance of being faulty too. In any event, I have a lot of faith in the vendor (it's CV btw), which replaced the first one hassle-free.

I'm really starting to think about a mech mod -- some of the smaller ones, with a '350 or '500 battery, basically will fit into the palm of my hand. They seem to be bullet-proof and, equipped with a Kick, I can get the VW function that I like to use, as well as some battery safety features. Next time i'm at one of the CV weekend stalls, I might check out a K-100. :vapor:

Regards
Glenn

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Greetings; I figure that if a device is faulty, it may have come from a wonky batch, so any replacement from the same source has a higher than average chance of being faulty too. In any event, I have a lot of faith in the vendor (it's CV btw), which replaced the first one hassle-free.

I'm really starting to think about a mech mod -- some of the smaller ones, with a '350 or '500 battery, basically will fit into the palm of my hand. They seem to be bullet-proof and, equipped with a Kick, I can get the VW function that I like to use, as well as some battery safety features. Next time i'm at one of the CV weekend stalls, I might check out a K-100. :vapor:

Regards
Glenn

First PV was a Mech Mod with a bottom button. In 18650 mode it was great. In 18350 mode I found the PV too short and uncomfortable with the bottom button feature. Bottom button spring had to be continually cleaned other wise it would "stick" when pressed.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Everyone keeps saying because the 510 connector is stripped the vamo is no good...there IS another set of threads on there ya know ;) [snip links]

And there is always an eGo - to - 510 adapter option... not to mention buying a new top for it... the V2 top will also fit on the V3/V5.... vicflo replaced his V5 top with a new V2 top and posted pics in this forum a few weeks back. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/vamo/484751-vamo-v5-v2-head-replacement.html The tops cost about $6 IIRC.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Greetings; I figure that if a device is faulty, it may have come from a wonky batch, so any replacement from the same source has a higher than average chance of being faulty too.

Exactly. That's why if you wanted to try a Vamo in the future, I'd personally suggest using a different vendor such as FastTech... though it seems you have gone in a different direction.

In any event, I have a lot of faith in the vendor (it's CV btw), which replaced the first one hassle-free.

I'm sure the vendor is quite upstanding, and even the direct supplier might be trustworthy depending on how many links are in the supply chain... the problem might be further upstream. They just sound like seconds or rejects to me.

FTR and totally anecdotal, I bought a mech thinking it would be really cool as there are so many ppl in love with their mechs. It has a bottom button with reversible lock nut, all shiny brass, buttery threads, floating pin... and I absolutely hate it. :D It hits fine but I hate not being able to adjust the power. I never use it and wish I would have bought another Vamo or even an SVD instead. It is sitting in a drawer in its plastic bag.

To each his/her own! :)

I've been using mine every day for the better part of the last six weeks and just today the + button started to fail and barely works...it's a black crome v2. I was looking for a "button fix thread" as I found this...also, Was thinking of getting a V 5 anyways because I like the removable ring on it like an Evic and the more time goes on the more my Evic collects dust...I know I am going to get slammed for saying this...BUT...I have my Provari I finally just got a couple days ago I use around the house so it's not a big deal if I loose this VAMO, it's more of a sentimental thing...I was one of the last people to order from valley view vapes. I bought the VAMO hoping I'd get it before they'd sell out and planed to buy a tank after I got the money in the bank after work that day...I got home 12 hours later and the shop was closed, I got one of the last orders in before the doors closed and it would be said to have it die so soon.

:::few award seconds of silence...:::

now on a completely different note to cheer up the mood after a sad tale...I love my VAMO and I love I can get a few of them for the price of another mod and I think they work just as well and they will last as long as they last and then get another one because they are a great mod that works well on any budget. And cheers I say to that...don't worry about how long it has lasted, enjoy it while it lasts and get another just for the unspeakable...and most importantly...

Happy Vaping and Happpier Holidays to all! :toast:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I've been using mine every day for the better part of the last six weeks and just today the + button started to fail and barely works...it's a black crome v2. I was looking for a "button fix thread" as I found this...also, Was thinking of getting a V 5 anyways because I like the removable ring on it [...]...BUT...I have my Provari [...] so it's not a big deal if I loose this VAMO, it's more of a sentimental thing...[...] I love my VAMO and I love I can get a few of them for the price of another mod and I think they work just as well and they will last as long as they last and then get another one because they are a great mod that works well on any budget. And cheers I say to that...[...]

Sorry about the + button dying on you... that's a bummer. The PCBs in these are available for about $20, though a whole new Vamo is only $32... but you said it had sentimental value so... :) Kidney Puncher has them Vamo PCB - Kidney Puncher and you might find them cheaper elsewhere, I don't know.

OTOH you might just have dust or something under the button... before you order a board (if you wanted to go that route) you might want to open up the Vamo and take a look to see if it's somethng obvious. There is a disassembly vid on YouTube for the V2, if needed.

Last edited:

cromagnon

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
My Vamo V5 lasted from 11/11/13 when I got it from Fast Tech until 11/21/13.

It worked great the first week, then it started shutting it's self off after a couple hours. It progressively got worse from there, now it won't stay on for more than 10-15 seconds before shutting it's self off again.

Yeah, it's probably that loose negative wire in the top cap issue but I am no going to try an fix it. Sending it back.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
My Vamo V5 lasted from 11/11/13 when I got it from Fast Tech until 11/21/13.

It worked great the first week, then it started shutting it's self off after a couple hours. It progressively got worse from there, now it won't stay on for more than 10-15 seconds before shutting it's self off again.

Yeah, it's probably that loose negative wire in the top cap issue but I am no going to try an fix it. Sending it back.

By all means. FastTech guarantees their stuff for 45 days if I am not mistaken... and maybe I am. :D Don't quote me on that but anyway with your short time frame they will surely replace it.

I got my V3 from FastTech 3 months ago. Using it daily and it works great but I did replace the rubber grommet under the pin with a DIY silicone grommet.

What will be interesting is to see how these are working after a year or two.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Well, my V3 is finally back in rotation. Got the replacement head in (it's a V2 head, but it fits properly) a few days ago. All in all took about 30 minutes to remove the old head and solder and press-fit the new one in.

Hoping it makes it more than the two months I got out of the Vamo initially.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Well, my V3 is finally back in rotation. Got the replacement head in (it's a V2 head, but it fits properly) a few days ago. All in all took about 30 minutes to remove the old head and solder and press-fit the new one in.

Did you have an especially hard time getting the new top on?

Hoping it makes it more than the two months I got out of the Vamo initially.

I'd recommend using an airflow controller to protect your new 510 threads if you don't already have one.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Did you have an especially hard time getting the new top on?

No particularly. The diameter was perfect, and it lined up and started into place nicely, I put a plastic washer on top and a piece of cardboard of the bottom to protect the finish, and pressed it the rest of the way in with a bench vise. It slid in smoothly and squarely.

I'd recommend using an airflow controller to protect your new 510 threads if you don't already have one.

I was thinking about that, but the replacement top cap appears to be all stainless and the threads are flawless, although I will definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread