How many coil heads should I have and how often should I switch out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I want away from the cotton micro coil but I need help getting there. The guy at the vape shop has rebuildables and will even build it with me the first time but says I need to rewet the cotton. I thought I was getting away from cotton. I'm having a little difficulty figuring this out.

Yeah, he's a single-minded dripper guy, and probably can't build a genny right to save his life. Dripper fanatics are like that, always trying to opt others into that, especially new vapers. Ask him to build you a genesis rba with a mesh wick and see what he says. I'm betting he'll bad-mouth the whole idea all up and down... because he can't do it.

Last edited:

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Funny you say that, I told him I wasn't interested in cotton anything and I would start carrying a bottle around with me as soon as I'm back into diapers! LOL If you don't mind, I am going to save the picture so I can compare. Thanks so much for all the help.

You are quite welcome :)

You can PM me if you have any more questions.

revco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Missoula, MT
Well, since this discussion has turned a bit into a dripper/RBA discussion, I'll chime in again. I can appreciate that much of all this doesn't make sense, it's a foreign terminology until you understand it. Basically, there's two types...RBA's (rebuildable atomizers) and RDA's (rebuildable dripper atomizers). The essential difference is than an RBA has a tank, an RDA is refilled by dripping your liquid into it. Both have coils that you build yourself and generally speaking, there's a wick system. The most common is cotton wick (cotton balls, cotton string, etc) or silica, but in the above poster's case, he's using stainless steel mesh. (Which I wouldn't advise the latter until you have some experience.) An RSST is a type of RDA, also called a Genesis style...it's basically a similar design style that many RBA's share, but it involves a wick that is constantly held in a tank's solution, wicking it to the top to the coil and eventually boiling it when electricity is applied to the coil. (See above for pics.)

I don't personally agree with the above poster's opinion on RDA's, but everyone will find they have their preferences. I prefer RDA's, but also use RBA's. I don't personally care for RSST/Genesis style myself. I find I get similar, if not indeterminable flavor enhancements from all of them...there's only marginal differences between various setups in my opinion and experience. The bottom line is, though, that all of these are worlds above the traditional tank styles like Aspires, Kangers and so forth for flavor, vapor production and also ease of maintenance.

As for your question about clones, they're perfectly acceptable...if you get a good one. Many are garbage, however, so it's generally wise to stick to recommended devices you see mentioned here on ECF. There are some people who tout clones as the scourge of the earth, but these people are off their rocker with more money than brains in my estimation. I always recommend the IGO-L as an easy way to get your feet wt. It's a solid setup...and I can tell you that personally, after buying and trying dozens upon dozens of RDA's and RBA's, this is still my go-to setup, much of the time.

Anyway, all this is said with a word of caution. Definitely study up if you're going to go down this route. It leads to an area that can be downright dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, especially when you start looking at mechs. You need to have a basic understanding of battery chemistry, resistance and how to measure it and several other do's and don'ts that apply. The good news is you've all ready found the resource here and everything you need to know is on these forums. The other good news is there's a ton of people here that can help you along the way. And, you'll find what many of us have...it's the mecca of vaping, hands down. We'd recommend people go this route is there weren't opportunities for them to blow their faces off if they go about it in a cavalier way.

Hope that helps clear some things up! Good luck!

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
I really appreciate the comparison for those of us trying to figure things out. I am going to try the Genesis style and I will look at the one you suggested. Lucky for me, my husband is an electrician and can test anything. I also founf a video by Rip Trippers that helped a bunch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9fdQfc8nuk hope that came through as a link. I seriously appreciate all the time you all have taken to help me understand.
Well, since this discussion has turned a bit into a dripper/RBA discussion, I'll chime in again. I can appreciate that much of all this doesn't make sense, it's a foreign terminology until you understand it. Basically, there's two types...RBA's (rebuildable atomizers) and RDA's (rebuildable dripper atomizers). The essential difference is than an RBA has a tank, an RDA is refilled by dripping your liquid into it. Both have coils that you build yourself and generally speaking, there's a wick system. The most common is cotton wick (cotton balls, cotton string, etc) or silica, but in the above poster's case, he's using stainless steel mesh. (Which I wouldn't advise the latter until you have some experience.) An RSST is a type of RDA, also called a Genesis style...it's basically a similar design style that many RBA's share, but it involves a wick that is constantly held in a tank's solution, wicking it to the top to the coil and eventually boiling it when electricity is applied to the coil. (See above for pics.)

I don't personally agree with the above poster's opinion on RDA's, but everyone will find they have their preferences. I prefer RDA's, but also use RBA's. I don't personally care for RSST/Genesis style myself. I find I get similar, if not indeterminable flavor enhancements from all of them...there's only marginal differences between various setups in my opinion and experience. The bottom line is, though, that all of these are worlds above the traditional tank styles like Aspires, Kangers and so forth for flavor, vapor production and also ease of maintenance.

As for your question about clones, they're perfectly acceptable...if you get a good one. Many are garbage, however, so it's generally wise to stick to recommended devices you see mentioned here on ECF. There are some people who tout clones as the scourge of the earth, but these people are off their rocker with more money than brains in my estimation. I always recommend the IGO-L as an easy way to get your feet wt. It's a solid setup...and I can tell you that personally, after buying and trying dozens upon dozens of RDA's and RBA's, this is still my go-to setup, much of the time.

Anyway, all this is said with a word of caution. Definitely study up if you're going to go down this route. It leads to an area that can be downright dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, especially when you start looking at mechs. You need to have a basic understanding of battery chemistry, resistance and how to measure it and several other do's and don'ts that apply. The good news is you've all ready found the resource here and everything you need to know is on these forums. The other good news is there's a ton of people here that can help you along the way. And, you'll find what many of us have...it's the mecca of vaping, hands down. We'd recommend people go this route is there weren't opportunities for them to blow their faces off if they go about it in a cavalier way.

Hope that helps clear some things up! Good luck!

StoneFree

Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
PanamaCityBeach,Fl
I wish I knew what you guys were talking about. I guess I'm not adventurous enough. I just don't know what RSST's are. I bought a cool fire and the thing came without holes to draw on then I forgot to get the battery, then I forgot the charger....I could go on but it's too embarrassing. Anyway I'm still using the Kanger tanks, 1 million coils and a variable EVOD battery. I just need someone to tell me where and what to buy. I've tried to read but I just don't get it. I am hopeless.

Hey sounds like we are on the same boat together :) dont worry the people on these forums are real helpful and I'm sure several people will reach out to you to help get you on the right track. BTW thanks to everybody who helped me out on this topic, I learned alot and I should have way less questions pretty soon.

Last edited:

regal55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
york,PA
I have found that I can extend the life of the non rebuildable kanger dual coils by soaking them in whats called "gunk" +water. Gunk is sold on amazon and is used to clean ....s. You then soak the coils in alcohol (wood) I use automotive HEET (yellow bottle no additives.) Its a two day process so you have to have several coils in rotation. Now if the actual coil blows (open circuit) there is nothing that can be done. Using an Aerotank can be expensive but you can get replacement coils for a reasonable price from Games of Vape.

I am trying to learn how to build a Kaylight tank that I have, but it just looks so tedious and rotating e-juices goes out the window. I like the Fastech Aerotank clones because for $6.60 each I can have dozens of different e-juices ready to go as I like to rotate frequently. Be careful with some coil sellers on ebay nearly every open circuit failure I've had has been from a certain ebay seller.

I hope as the Aerotank + comes out, the price of coils goes down. If not I am going to try to get serious with the Kaylite but it certainly will take a lot of fun out of e-vaping.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
The main thing here is until you find out what you like & even then, learn how to rebuild, keep a couple of 5 packs on hand. I have been using 2.5ohm coils to hold down the heat & prolong battery life, but that comes at the expense of less vapor w/out a VV device.

Shop around for coils, I loyal to no one except whom carries Genuine items at the best price (feedback counts too). Just get a 5 pack of Genuine KangerTech 2.2ohm coils for $5.95 from this eBay seller & they arrived in 2 days, less than the promised 3. There is a choice of ohm level & they arrive in the original packaging, not the white boxes with a sticker slapped on them saying "Kanger". Until I started buying Genuine KangerTech in the black boxes, was always dealing with leaks.

Kangertech Protank 2 Evod Replacement Atomizer Coils Unitank Mini 5 Pack | eBay

These are Genuine Quality coils. Keep a couple of boxes on hand at all times, because sometimes a seller will run out of the ohm level you prefer. The last seller was sold out of 2.5 & 2.2 ohms & he was 60 cents more, so ended up saving over $1 on two boxes.

And don't throw away your spent coils, these are rebuildable.

Cat

Big Southpaw

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2013
Richmond, VA
Changing when the flavor changes is the right answer. Occasionally blowing out the heads and wiping them off if the draw seems to tighten and to keep them from getting gunky seems to extend the useful life. I can usually get three or four cycles out of them with a vodka bath.

So far as best price/service, I prefer ebay. My last two coil purchases from Fastech never arrived (they refunded one) and you can buy off ebay from an American seller for about 10% more than Fastech and pay for it via paypal.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I really appreciate the comparison for those of us trying to figure things out. I am going to try the Genesis style and I will look at the one you suggested. Lucky for me, my husband is an electrician and can test anything. I also founf a video by Rip Trippers that helped a bunch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9fdQfc8nuk hope that came through as a link. I seriously appreciate all the time you all have taken to help me understand.

Here's one of the best videos I've seen on building a genesis RBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuYJeoS6Fc

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I always recommend the IGO-L as an easy way to get your feet wt. It's a solid setup...and I can tell you that personally, after buying and trying dozens upon dozens of RDA's and RBA's, this is still my go-to setup, much of the time.

Yep, another dripper fan spreading the dripper propaganda. Well I disagree with it and got far better results with a mesh wick consistently for a year now. If you don't care for the RSST then you just can't build a genny right, because it's the simplest there is to build. I just knew the dripper crew would show up here, surprised it took as long as it did.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Get backups for your backups.

Seriously, this is the best advice Ive ever heard on these forums and it gets taken for granted a LOT.

That being said, only you can determine what levels are going to make you feel comfortable.

Nowadays I get nervous if I have less than 50ml of juice on hand.....or 20 pre-punched cartos.

I never leave the house without a spare tank, an extra fully charged 18650, a carto, some juice and a drip tip.

Is it overkill? Probably. But I'd rather be safe instead of smoking again.

Last edited:

Violation

Moved On
May 7, 2014
Al
The numbers you asked about are the resistance in ohms of the coils in the heads you are buying. 1.2 ohms is lower resistance that 2.2, obviously, and some like that lower resistance as it means a hotter coil that heats faster and they like the flavor they get from that. Resistance in ohms has a definite effect on flavor.

How often you will have to change the coil heads depends very much on how much you vape. If you are a chain vaper like me, that might be fairly often. If you are instead a normal person they might last you days. When I was using a Protank it got so I was having to rebuild coils constantly, which got old pretty quick. I had 24 Protank heads on hand at all times, some being rebuit, others waiting to be used.

Some coil heads can't be rebuilt, but I've heard that soaking them overnight in cheap vodka works. I don't know firsthand, as I never tried that. I can't say where the best service is on those items since I haven't used them in quite a long time now.

THX, very helpful, keep a good vaping habit

regal55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
york,PA
Changing when the flavor changes is the right answer. Occasionally blowing out the heads and wiping them off if the draw seems to tighten and to keep them from getting gunky seems to extend the useful life. I can usually get three or four cycles out of them with a vodka bath.

So far as best price/service, I prefer ebay. My last two coil purchases from Fastech never arrived (they refunded one) and you can buy off ebay from an American seller for about 10% more than Fastech and pay for it via paypal.

You don't think cleaning the unit with the right detergent can get the wick tasting OK again, I have found that it can if you fast dry with the yellow bottle automotive HEET (methanol water displacement.). Most all my coil replacements are open circuits (blown coil) not bad taste. Another thing I've been noticing since I got my provari is its easier on the coil. Typically with my SVD & VTR the coil would just pop and read no continuity, but I think with the provari the regulation is better to not alow power surging. Still too early to say for sure but looks like a trend.

Last edited:

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
OMG....I went to the vape shop and bought my Genesis clone this morning. Tested the wick that came with it at 2.0ohm so fixed the spacing on the coils and put it on my eVic. You guys are SO right. Best vape ever and NO burnt coils. You all rock and I am grateful! I wish I had known about this when I started, I could have saved a bundle on coils and frustration on burnt tasting hits.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
OMG....I went to the vape shop and bought my Genesis clone this morning. Tested the wick that came with it at 2.0ohm so fixed the spacing on the coils and put it on my eVic. You guys are SO right. Best vape ever and NO burnt coils. You all rock and I am grateful! I wish I had known about this when I started, I could have saved a bundle on coils and frustration on burnt tasting hits.

errr... exactly which Genesis clone did you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread