How many have snuck in the occasional cigarette while vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerL

Sep 27, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I’ve been vaping for about three years now. First here’s a background story. I was in Iraq in 2003-2004, and we went through some rough days. In my company at least 25 people began smoking. They did it to calm their nerves. We had a guy who had quit for 11 years and was one of the staunchest anti-tobacco people I’d ever seen. After a rocket attack he walked over and bummed a Marlboro off a guy. Next morning I saw him buying a carton off the Iraqi people who came and sold us stuff. Say what you want, but for a lot of people smoking helps them deal with stress because of the nicotine.

Like I said since I began vaping regularly I’ve smoked a regular cigarette at least twice per week. Know why? I actually like the way a cigarette tastes. There, I’ve said it. So far nothing I’ve found can come close to that. I’ve been determined to keep going (probably because I have so much gear) but I’ve known a few people who just couldn’t make the transition.

I had a chance to use an IQOS for a whole heet stick. I had stopped into my sisters hotel and a guest from Canada was showing it to my sister and asking about using it in the room. My sister is a former smoker, and asked her to demonstrate it. After the demonstration she gave her the Okay to use it. Then my sister asked her to show it to me. The woman let me try it out. She said since she bought it she has not smoked a single cigarette. Even gave away the half pack she had the day she bought it. I’d use it. As for cost think of all the liquid you’ve bought that didn’t do it for you.

So, do you still sneak a real cigarette every once in a while?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
J,
So far, after 6 odd years, no; I have not CHOSEN to have a cigarette.
As a smoker I did not have a choice.
Vaping allowed my addiction to become a habit and now, a decision.
I can smoke a cigarette anytime I want. I just don't want, any more. (regulated squonkers notwithstanding)

cheers
I

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Only once fairly early on. I enjoyed it at first, but about half way through, I started feeling the return of the irritation in my windpipe that I was so glad to be rid of, so I only made it about 3/4 through before I put it out, went back inside, and happily resumed vaping.

Mind you, I was a heavy smoker for 36 years, and it had taken its toll. If I were younger and that wasn't the case, I could easily see myself "cheating" occasionally. But the side effects just aren't worth it to me at this point.

Now if/when IQOS hits the market here, it's probably going to be very tempting to give them a try. As good as vaping is, even after 4-1/2 years, I still feel like there's something missing.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
do you still sneak a real cigarette every once in a while?
Nope. Since I quit over 6 years ago and began to vape, I've never wanted anything to do with a cigarette. I actually enjoy vaping more than I did smoking, and trust me that's saying something.

I introduced vaping to my sister who wanted to quit smoking. She's been vaping for about 2 years now. Her significant other still smokes. My sister says she will occassionally try a cigarette, but rarely is able to finish it. She now hates the taste/smell of cigarette smoke.

My motto is, "Its not how many cigarettes you smoke in a day that is important, its how many you DIDN'T smoke that is."

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Detroit
I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones. Even after 45 years of smoking 1 to 2 packs a day, it took me less than a week to make the switch to vaping. That was 3 years ago. Haven't had the desire for a cig, since. I've vaped nothing but tobacco flavors since day one. Never even tried a dessert, ftuity, bakery type of vape.

My wife still smokes, so they're readily available, but no desire to. One day at my daughter's house a couple of years ago, my wife went outside to have a smoke, so I went with her and was vaping. She had to run back inside for a moment and said 'here, hold this'. Before I knew it, I was holding her cig in one hand and my vape in the other. I just kept on vaping and wasn't even tempted to take a puff of her cig.

That's when I knew I had the cigs beat for good, and was home free.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I quit 100% about a week into vaping. While others still smoked around me. While the stress was worse than ever. 4 years and 4 months without a single cigarette.

Right before Christmas last year, in a dark moment, I picked one up and smoked it. I’d have one, once in a while after that, under the illusion I could take them or leave them. Until one day, when I realized I had smoked at least a couple every day for a while, and that night when I was out, I hurried to buy more.

I guess some people can have the occasional smoke, and take or leave it as they please. I’m not one of them. And mostly, I don’t want to die like that, and I know how easily I’d be right back to two packs a day.

So, I found this place again, and back to the drawing board, as they say.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
In the four years iv been vaping, iv had two cigs and a padron. All tasted like unmitigated crap, all smoked in post stress situs. So I put together some new kit.

Vaping in the chit.
IMG_20171227_175856.jpg

I refuse to go back to the addiction.
BOL.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
No I've not smoked if that's the question. I'm an adult and don't have to sneak anything.

I quit smoking the day I started vaping. Had one cigarette (actually just a half) at the two week of vaping Mark and didn't have another one til the first time I quit vaping.

The first time I quit vaping I threw out my vape gear, so when I had a craving I grabbed a smoke off my husband who smoked at the time.

I bought vape gear again and stopped smoking again - no big deal. Next time I quit vaping I just didn't throw out my vape gear which solved that potential problem.

Thing is, everyone does what works for them, in the way that's best for them and if that means either taking longer to make the full switch or having the occasional cigarette then that's just the way it is for them..

The saying is; its not how many cigarettes you smoke its how many you don't smoke.

There's no pressure. If you need a smoke occasionally then have one. No ones walking in your shoes but you..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread