How many have snuck in the occasional cigarette while vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I bought my first Joye 510 cigalike in April of 2010. I was a 2PAD smoker. The first week I vaped I noticed that I was so entrenched in vaping that I had only smoked a few cigarettes a day. I smoked 5 a day for a year, one with morning coffee, one after each meal, and one before bed while vaping and finally ditched the last few on my one year vaping anniversary.

Haven't touched one since. I just vape 10ml of juice a day and I'm fine.

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Ill admit to having a "stress cig" once in a while. Gives me a nic blast that i need. But the one thing about it that keeps me from going back to them is the fact they taste like poop. Or at least what i imagine poop would taste like since ive never actually tasted it. Nor do i want to.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My problem is my mom keeps cigarettes at my house because she doesn't want anyone to know she smokes so it's very tempting.

Honestly, I don't think that is very fair of your mom. It's really HER problem whether "everyone" knows she smokes or not, not yours. I'm not so upset with the fact that she smokes, but my husband when through a "near" quit, where he didn't want me to see he was smoking (whether because HE felt bad about it, or more doubtfully because he smoked happily and in front of me as I was quitting-- he didn't want me to be tempted.

I told him to "Man up," that it was his life, his body, and I totally as an ex smoker understood. I did also point out that I could travel to the gas station oh, ANY time I wished. He got the point.

I might advise your mom to find some OTHER actual non-smoker to hold her cigarettes, to hide them somewhere outside (I'd think taping to the mailbox like underneath might work, that's not an area people generally LOOK at etc., but that if she wants a "concealed carry" so to speak she needs to do it HERSELF. You could also teach her to vape.

I wouldn't "hold" cigarettes for ANYONE. I am NOT that type of person. Nor as a smoker, did I feel the need to APOLOGIZE for my habit even slightly other than to kids who knew I smoked and I would simply tell them it was the worst decision I ever made. But hiding it? Come on, now.

Also, if your mother were addicted to {insert any other addictive substance here} would YOU be willing to hold on to it for her? I'm betting (well, kind of hoping) not.

I do understand the occasional deal with parents wanting/needing things and it being hard to say no.

Say no. Tell her in no uncertain terms will you "manage" her cigarette habit for her. It's not your job/responsibility/problem etc.

Anna

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Honestly, I don't think that is very fair of your mom. It's really HER problem whether "everyone" knows she smokes or not, not yours. I'm not so upset with the fact that she smokes, but my husband when through a "near" quit, where he didn't want me to see he was smoking (whether because HE felt bad about it, or more doubtfully because he smoked happily and in front of me as I was quitting-- he didn't want me to be tempted.

I told him to "Man up," that it was his life, his body, and I totally as an ex smoker understood. I did also point out that I could travel to the gas station oh, ANY time I wished. He got the point.

I might advise your mom to find some OTHER actual non-smoker to hold her cigarettes, to hide them somewhere outside (I'd think taping to the mailbox like underneath might work, that's not an area people generally LOOK at etc., but that if she wants a "concealed carry" so to speak she needs to do it HERSELF. You could also teach her to vape.

I wouldn't "hold" cigarettes for ANYONE. I am NOT that type of person. Nor as a smoker, did I feel the need to APOLOGIZE for my habit even slightly other than to kids who knew I smoked and I would simply tell them it was the worst decision I ever made. But hiding it? Come on, now.

Also, if your mother were addicted to {insert any other addictive substance here} would YOU be willing to hold on to it for her? I'm betting (well, kind of hoping) not.

I do understand the occasional deal with parents wanting/needing things and it being hard to say no.

Say no. Tell her in no uncertain terms will you "manage" her cigarette habit for her. It's not your job/responsibility/problem etc.

Anna
I'm with you about being a straight upfront person. When I smoked --I smoked. I had friends that would hide it from boyfriends and I was of the mindset that this is me. Take it or beat it. I agree with what you said. I do know how difficult it can be with family. Been there. As much of an upfront person I am, I did struggle with family. I had my "epiphany" some years back and while I am still the wonderful child, parent, friend, sister, lover and all that ---- I now make it a priority to take care of me. I had gained some weight when I stopped smoking. I asked family members not to bring junk in the house and of course, they all did. The old me would have been highly irritated and got loud about it or said nothing but in the end nothing changed.

The new me provided one warning, "I asked you all not to bring this stuff in the house and you did. This is your ONLY notice that starting in 15 minutes from now if anything like this is in the house I will throw it out." I've thrown a lot of stuff out and ignored the b---ing and whining. They have come to learn that when I speak in a calm and low measured voice - vs my normally smiley and boisterous self that they better watch out because I mean business!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh, I get it, my mom was just a houseguest for like a WEEK. My family is always stupendously great about refusing any boundary I SET. LOL, her first morning here she wanted to discuss how vaping was "bad for you." I gave her an EDUCATION and a HALF. She KNEW I was near COPD, but did she do ANY due diligence? No. LOL, I've since learned to NEVER have a boundary *I* cannot enforce with my bio family. Srsly, I don't say, "I'll kick you out of my house" I say stuff like, "*I* will leave this house (I can enforce THAT).

My mom also loves asking for advice and then doing the opposite of what I recommend. LOL you'd think I'd have learned by now to tell her the OPPOSITE, but I only came to realize it lately.

I was SURE my mom being here would make me smoke. It DIDN'T WIN. My mom is... Like that saying, "You don't know if you've really quit smoking until someone you love dies? LOL.

Mine is, "I won't be CERTAIN I've quit smoking until my mom dies."

LOL that made my sister, the cold turkey ex smoker giggle.

Anna

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Nope, last Stinkie I had was the day I bought my Vape. Other than once I left my Vape at a friends house when our group went out on a Pub Crawl. I didn't want to walk down the hill to get it so bummed a Stinkie, didn't even get through half of it, walked down the hill to get my Vape.

Anyway 3 July will be 3 years off the Stinkies.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I am 5 months in. No cigs smoked yet, but I still crave that taste. One of the few things I COULD taste. I have been tempted more this last month, than the previous months, don't know why. Not stress related, I don't think. It just keeps popping into my thoughts that I want a cigarette.
I am of the opinion that if I gave in to that, I would be back on them in a flash, and that keeps me away from them.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Me too, I'm kind of worried about UPCOMING stress. LOL, I am returning to (part time) work and like, I really hope it doesn't get me smoking. I'm afraid the INTERVEWS might. I plan to allow myself LITTLE time for stopping for a pack of smoker, smoking one and then HOSING myself down to eliminate the smell.

Honestly, now that I CAN smell, I don't know how I got hired ANYWHERE ever. LOL. That, if anything else might KEEP me from smoking. I'm loading up a JUST WTA tank man, that's for sure.

Stress. My Achilles heel. :(

Anna

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
While smoking cigarettes is something I'll never go back to after over eight years...the smell of a freshly opened pack is still heavenly!
Smoking does not bother me -- but I do not get that same feeling about a freshly opened pack. I can smell it -- heck I can even smell it if someone lights up across the room. But it does not do anything for me.

JerL

Sep 27, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Good to read all these responses. Best thing is no one is judging anyone else. When I began vaping the real struggle was the first cigarette of the morning with that coffee. The rest of the day I could cruise. Maybe it’s because I lit up after combat action, and have a TBI that I’ve stillsnuck in a cancer stick.

I don’t know if anyone is familiar with Roswell Park Hospital, it’s a leading cancer research facility. Myfriends father was an Oncologist and was the chief of medical staff there. When he took over one of the first things he did was direct that the smoking areas on each floor be re-opened. If you were in those wards you were going to die. He felt that if they are dying, what’s the point of making them miserable. He told one of the other directors the time to get these people to stop smoking was many years ago.

Roswell Park did a scientific study on e-cigarettes

Study: Smokers Who Switch to E-Cigarettes Exposed to Same Levels of Nicotine, Lower Carcinogen Levels

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I consider myself lucky because I basically quit smoking maybe a week after I started vaping. I smoked for over 30 years and haven't touched, thought of, or craved a cig in 7 years. I have actually come to despise cigarettes, can't stand them and physically get queasy when I smell them. I know everyone is different and if your still partially smoking just stick with it , vape enough nic in your juice and eventually you will quit 100 percent. Good luck my friend

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I’ve been vaping for about three years now. First here’s a background story. I was in Iraq in 2003-2004, and we went through some rough days. In my company at least 25 people began smoking. They did it to calm their nerves. We had a guy who had quit for 11 years and was one of the staunchest anti-tobacco people I’d ever seen. After a rocket attack he walked over and bummed a Marlboro off a guy. Next morning I saw him buying a carton off the Iraqi people who came and sold us stuff. Say what you want, but for a lot of people smoking helps them deal with stress because of the nicotine.

Like I said since I began vaping regularly I’ve smoked a regular cigarette at least twice per week. Know why? I actually like the way a cigarette tastes. There, I’ve said it. So far nothing I’ve found can come close to that. I’ve been determined to keep going (probably because I have so much gear) but I’ve known a few people who just couldn’t make the transition.

I had a chance to use an IQOS for a whole heet stick. I had stopped into my sisters hotel and a guest from Canada was showing it to my sister and asking about using it in the room. My sister is a former smoker, and asked her to demonstrate it. After the demonstration she gave her the Okay to use it. Then my sister asked her to show it to me. The woman let me try it out. She said since she bought it she has not smoked a single cigarette. Even gave away the half pack she had the day she bought it. I’d use it. As for cost think of all the liquid you’ve bought that didn’t do it for you.

So, do you still sneak a real cigarette every once in a while?

I don't volunteer this on the forum, as most are trying to quit and I don't want to enable anyone, but you asked, so...

After smoking a pack per day for 40+ years, I have been vaping for going on six years and still smoke a few butts per day. By my estimate that's almost 35, 000 cigarettes I have NOT smoked over the last 5+ years, which is an amazing feat for me. I admit that I am weak-willed, and enjoy the few I smoke, but am still very proud of my accomplishment.

Vaping is not a magic bullet - at least not for me. It still requires willpower and you still need to WANT to quit. I would never try to encourage anyone to continue smoking, but it works for me and I am definitely healthier than I was 5 years ago.

Bottom line: It's all about harm reduction, and if you TRULY want to quit - you need to commit and do it.

I have not given up hope that I may some day quit completely.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I don't volunteer this on the forum, as most are trying to quit and I don't want to enable anyone, but you asked, so...

After smoking a pack per day for 40+ years, I have been vaping for going on six years and still smoke a few butts per day. By my estimate that's almost 35, 000 cigarettes I have NOT smoked over the last 5+ years, which is an amazing feat for me. I admit that I am weak-willed, and enjoy the few I smoke, but am still very proud of my accomplishment.

Vaping is not a magic bullet - at least not for me. It still requires willpower and you still need to WANT to quit. I would never try to encourage anyone to continue smoking, but it works for me and I am definitely healthier than I was 5 years ago.

Bottom line: It's all about harm reduction, and if you TRULY want to quit - you need to commit and do it.

I have not given up hope that I may some day quit completely.
Member @Baditude likes to point out to people who occasionally smoke, that it isn't how many you smoke, it's how many you DON'T smoke.
That, I think, is a very fine philosophy.

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
vaped for 2 years, went back to analogs for about 8 months as it got too expensive as my hubby still smokes so were were spending quite a bit, my chest was hurting so bad I couldnt stand it so I decided to try vaping one more time and I am glad I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread