How many parents have caught their teen sneaking a vape on thier PV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkhalis

Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Discussion of under age vaping may not be prudent.

I agree fray, and keeping that in mind I would like to add my thoughts here. A friend of mine introduced her 18y/o daughter to e-cigarettes after I got her started earlier in the year. Both of them are now happily staying analog free which is amazing for them.

Now, we all know underage people smoke, I talk to so many smokers out there who say they started at 12, or 15 etc... I do think vaping would be a safer alternative to this, but the problem is all the flavors. Remember when Camel used to have their cartoon advertisements and flavored cigarettes. I believe this would also apply to e-cigs - Vaping would be TOO appealing to the younger generation and I would discourage sharing a vape with someone underage. The repercussions could be vast, to the vaping community as a whole.

Conclusion, if you are a parent, and your child is addicted to nicotine. I would break them of the addiction before I would share an e-cig with them. If they want to vape, make them wait until they are of legal age, just like an analog.

Do I know that my kids (teen and preteen ) have taken a puff?

Yeah- I am blonde- not stupid- They also tasted the wine I had in the fridge and ran with sissors, and drink my Dr Peppers, and have drank my husbands Mt Dews- AND the brats have snuck chocolate and I have even caught them chewing gum- I REFUSE to allow any of them to chew gum- I have found it EVERYWHERE- carpet, clothes, dishwasher, walls, my truck... I just refuse.

I dont think the 4 or 7 year old have, - but the 4 year old likes to 'mell dem to dell me da favor'

They know they are not supposed to- and if I catch them or can prove it ( anything they are not supposed to do, not just the things listed up there) then I bop them one, but I do pray that they never decide to do it for a habit.

And just like drinking more than a sip (that I gave them), smoking at all, wearing socks and sandals, having icky, long stringy hair, stealing or doing ANY drugs I will not allow them to do it in my home. And the last two I will personally call the police- and tell them the hospital they can pick them up from. Momma dont play.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Discussion of under age vaping may not be prudent.

It may not be prudent but I don't think it should be ignored. For the purposes of discussion I am not afraid of the FDA or what anyone will think. I have other views on teen vaping which I will keep out of this thread - or try to anyway.

Teen smoking is a fact, illegal in your town or not, it's a problem that needs the same answers we adults need. Vaping for them like it is for us, may be the only thing that will get them to stop smoking or reduce their harm from smoking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To me the Joe Camel thing is misplaced. The tobacco companies were advertising clearly to young smokers but not directly to teens - that was just an oversight on the tobacco companies part - or perhaps they knew it would happen. People ages from 14 to 30 thought Joe Camel was cool. Look at the amount of cartoons now made for Adults - they are the most popular shows on TV. Family Guy, American Dad, The Simpsons, The Cleavland Show etc.

Caffeine comes in many flavors too.. in soft drinks. It like nicotine is only a central nervous system stimulant and effects the body in much the same way nicotine does. It's not under fire like smoking is because it doesn't kill thousands of people a year.

BUT vaping doesn't kill either. Perhaps we should all push for flavored soft drinks to be illegal. I'm all for that if it keeps us from being double standard hypocrites. As long as we are not marketing the flavor aspect to teens, I have no problem with it. We are not seeing a huge amount of teen smokers go after e-cigs because of the flavors and they have been around since 2003.

Last edited:

sethkal

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
New Jersey
I feel the problems occur for some adults and teens,
smoking analogs is awful and can be stopped using PV's

My suggestion for any teens out there, better to explain to them(your parents) what its keeping you out off, rather then why you actually have it.

My little cousin (turned 18)
got caught with one of these with his parents being a senior in highschool, i told him the same thing...
tell your parents what its preventing you from doing and explain it, they might be angry or mad... but they will ease off and it could be a lot worse.

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
I'm aware many e-cig vendors have a "no-under 18" policy, but is there actually any law on this? This stuff is so unregulated.

For the most part I want the FDA to keep its nose out of e-cigs, but I don't think kids should be able to buy em.

There does need to be some form of regulation BUT the problem being you give an inch the FDA gonna try to take a mile and that's really the sad part as some form of regulation would actually support our stance by "legitimizing" vaping with the general populace. Eventually regulation will come but I "cringe" when I think about all that might entail.

Last edited:

sumoman25

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2011
South Dakota
Being a young'n on this forum (20) I still have friends that are in highschool, who also have friends that are in highschool. Therefore I end up hanging out with kids as young as 16. A lot of them smoke, hell this whole area is full of smokers. I vape around everyone, unless they complain, so a lot of these minors who smoke ask me what I'm smoking. Explain, they seem interested, tell them where they can buy one. I don't encourage minors to vape, but if they already smoke I don't see why they shouldn't be able to switch to vaping. Making it public or speaking about it too often could lead to strict regulation, which would be bad for all of us.

tl;dr - I tell them a bit of info and where to buy one, nothing else. I don't buy them for them (Like older people bought us cigarettes until we were 18) and I let them on their merry way.

Meggers

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Kansas
:blink: Yep! Big Brother is always watching! Most "nanny" laws are stimulated by...people. Someone(or many) complain about something and so legislators then regulate it or make some law pertaining to it. Most laws, in my opinion, are generated from self righteous people. People with the mind set of, "I don't do that and so you shouldn't either." :blink:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    :blink: Yep! Big Brother is always watching! Most "nanny" laws are stimulated by...people. Someone(or many) complain about something and so legislators then regulate it or make some law pertaining to it. Most laws, in my opinion, are generated from self righteous people. People with the mind set of, "I don't do that and so you shouldn't either." :blink:

Since when did we have the right to pick and choose which laws we will obey? If you think a law is unjust ... challenge it! But, until it is overturned, it is the law!

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 12, 2011
    New Orleans
    I mention this because laws were brought up.

Canada has no law against minors using tobacco products. The USA has some laws in some places forbidding minors to use tobacco products. As it stands now, most places in the US is is legal for teens to smoke. Even a 7 year old can smoke legally in most places. They just cannot purchase cigarettes.

I'll say that again cus most people don't get it.

It is Legal in most places in the US for underage people to use tobacco products. This can also read as It is legal in most places in the US for minors to vape.

There are especially No laws (unless your building has a no smoking clause you agreed to) that will allow a cop to come into your private residence and arrest your underage teen for smoking - or using an e-cig.

People somehow get the impression that because teens cannot buy tobacco products they cannot legally smoke either. In most places, this is untrue.

The FDA knows this. The FDA (or more correctly Our Government) has lived with this for over two hundred years. I mention this to more put a teen taking a vape from a parents e-cig into a more proper perspective. Adults do not have to be afraid the FDA is going to ban e-cigs because of teens who vape. This is silly paranoia. Adults do not have to be afraid of anything except their teen continuing to smoke cigarettes. I think a lot more parents do let their teen smokers vape around them or encourage them to try e-cigs but will not talk about it openly because of some silly fear someone has about the FDA.

I want to live in a world where teen smokers can get the help they need and we all know the e-cig has the best success rate for quitting over anything else out there. Oh but wait.. that's taboo, you can't talk about that.. In the meantime teens are continuing to smoke.

I want us to make this switch from saying " Teens can't use e-cigs so we have to find some other way for them to quit till they are 21 years old - some other way we know wont work but you'll just have to humor us... To saying, Look kid.. I know your only 16 but have been smoking for 3 years.. here.. try this e-cig and switch because it's the best thing we have today that will help you get off those cigarettes.

If I can't offer an e-cig to a teen who really needs it then what good is having it? It's not just a nicotine delivery device or a smoking alternative or a quit smoking tool, it's a potential life saver.

GrandPoobah, Yes, there is a nation wide law that says all e-cig vendors must check ID before selling e-cigs.

tj99959 You Can (sort of) pick and choose which laws you want to follow if the laws are unjust. You do not have to accept laws made by a tyrannical government. Of course they may behead you in the morning, but If you follow your moral compass you can at least sleep well the night before.

Cil

ECF Veteran
    Jun 4, 2010
    UK
    The cigarette companies have been targeting minors from the word go, to say they only advertise to people who already smoke is ludicrous as if you follow this logic they would put themselves out of business.

I have and shall ONLY promote PV's to people (including minors) who already use cancer sticks, I also have no other motive than to help them eventually stop smoking.

Us vapers .....footing around the issues because the FDA (USA) and MHRA (UK) may be funded by the big pharmaceutical & tobacco companies seem the cowards way out.

Incidental, I'm a little more bullish being in the UK as our government has advised the UK Nudge Unit (Redirect Notice) to use fake cigarettes as they put it.

Sorry link doesn't work, but this is a BBC report on how the Cabinet Office has advised the Nudge Unit to promote smokeless alternatives including e-cigs.

Last edited:

fray

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2011
    arkansas
    www.ejoose.com
    I just think that promoting underage vaping is disrespectful to groups like CASSA that are fighting for us. One big argument for the ANTIs is underage vaping because of all the wonderful flavors. You may disagree but IMHO it can only hurt us.

Sort of like talking to the police. Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law, not for you generally.

Cil

ECF Veteran
    Jun 4, 2010
    UK
    I just think that promoting underage vaping is disrespectful to groups like CASSA that are fighting for us. One big argument for the ANTIs is underage vaping because of all the wonderful flavors. You may disagree but IMHO it can only hurt us.

I can see your point and understand that we don't want to 'dump on our own front-door' but promoting vaping to minors and trying to get them to use an alternative once they are already smoking, I think, are two different things.

I can only use my experience, my daughter started smoking at 17 (I know quite late really) this was after both myself and her mother had switched to vaping. (the teenage mind never ceases to amaze and frustrate me)

We immediately tried to change her to vaping, which after a YEAR (she is now 18) we have done.

echofinder

ECF Veteran
    Jan 8, 2012
    Damascus, MD
    www.reddit.com
    Refusing to talk about something won't magically make it go away; the people/groups who are fighting e-cigs will use the flavor arguments, the drug arguments, and what have you whether we discuss them or not. IMO the extreme self-censorship that ECF often flirts with is equally as unjust as the anti-ecig arguments themselves.

Every thread that even mentions minors, or drug/PV confusion, is quickly saturated with replies amounting to "we shouldn't talk about that". Yes, actually, we should. These are valid & relevant issues that DO exist, and DO need solutions, and if the largest PV community on the net is not willing to discuss them, who is? And why not? Personally, when I am observing a group & they continually seek to dodge some issue or some topic, that immediately makes me think they have something to hide. We have nothing to hide.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
    Dec 27, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Do I know that my kids (teen and preteen ) have taken a puff?

Yeah- I am blonde- not stupid- They also tasted the wine I had in the fridge and ran with sissors, and drink my Dr Peppers, and have drank my husbands Mt Dews- AND the brats have snuck chocolate and I have even caught them chewing gum- I REFUSE to allow any of them to chew gum- I have found it EVERYWHERE- carpet, clothes, dishwasher, walls, my truck... I just refuse.

I dont think the 4 or 7 year old have, - but the 4 year old likes to 'mell dem to dell me da favor'

They know they are not supposed to- and if I catch them or can prove it ( anything they are not supposed to do, not just the things listed up there) then I bop them one, but I do pray that they never decide to do it for a habit.

And just like drinking more than a sip (that I gave them), smoking at all, wearing socks and sandals, having icky, long stringy hair, stealing or doing ANY drugs I will not allow them to do it in my home. And the last two I will personally call the police- and tell them the hospital they can pick them up from. Momma dont play.

LADY ain't kidding! "my truck..."

:blink:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread