Status
Not open for further replies.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
So a few days back in another thread a member said "why not allow teens to buy zero nic pods or whatever" This is going to be a long post, so be forwarned lol

I get a little triggered on anyone using vaping for anything other than a cessation tool, let alone a teen. I proposed the following scenario, to which I'll also say - If we could go on-line and figure out how to refill/rewick cartos 8-10 years ago, what makes us think that in todays world every one else including underage, unscrupulous and greedy people aren't doing it also?

Let's say you come home from work, you run into your neighbor who says, "hey I saw your (underage) kid buying a e-cig at the corner gas station"

Would you say to your neighbor;
1.) thanks for the heads up, we're going to have a talk tonight
2.) I'm sure it was peer pressure, they'll be fine (assuming your neighbor had any knowledge and was positive it was zero nic)

Then would you;
1.) Think to yourself - wow, good for them, and ask them to show you what they bought?
2.) Think to yourself - wow, kid never smoked before, wth and then confront them & have a serious discussion on why it isn't ok.

If you assumed it was peer pressure and they'd be fine, then the school calls you and says your kid has been rushed to the hospital, they and a friend were using a vape pen that had xyz in it.

If you didn't assume it was ok and had a serious conversation with them and never got that call that they were rushed to the hospital.

We know that the device itself isn't the problem, it's what's in them. Some may be doing exactly what they say their doing, but if a friend says "hey I got this stuff to put in there" would they go for it, or say no? I would rather sit down & discuss, then turn a blind eye..and say oh, they'd never do that, but they're kids.

While it caused a stir with the OP, and little did I know here is how this has played out in real life this week:

The parent who questioned his kid about finding their vape dragged their little .... into the police department and was able to provide them with enough information to nail the kids (brothers) whose parents are the ones saying I don't know why they're saying these things about my kid

I might also add that while I would have credited the ones who were charged were very much entrepreneurs at a young age, it apparently turned to greed from the article/videos below. There set up had believable packaging, all of the findings by police resemble some other type of mfg including the guns, money, counting equipment.

If any indications point to them in the deaths of any of the vapers who have passed recently could they possibly be brought up on manslaughter?

'Courageous' parents are credited with leading to a drug bust police believe is the biggest to date involving counterfeit vaping cartridges

‘High-tech operation:’ Kenosha County brothers accused of making illegal vaping cartridges

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Would you say to your neighbor;
1.)
Then would you;
1.)
And have the same discussion I did with my daughter when she started drinking coffee when she was 16 or 17. "That stuff is addictive". But unless the kid was really young (maybe 13 or less), I'd let him or her make up his own mind whether to vape or not to vape. I'm simply not a "Do as I say, not as I do" kind of parent.

FWIW, I have a son (27) and a daughter (21). Neither smoke, vape, do any "drugs", or drink much alcohol. The only real vice either of 'em have is the fact that my daughter has turned into something of a coffee fiend, and I keep reminding her that I warned her that would happen. :laugh:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It's hard to understand how this poison thing happened. I remember starting out I was keenly interested in how we know eliquid is safe to vape. How we know is many decades of experience prior to vaping with VG, PG, and nicotine. And then the flavors come from reputable companies with plenty of experience. I went a step further. I vape one flavor at 1%, been doing that for 5 years.

For this black market T_C vape why add anything other than PG or VG? Does anyone know the answer to that one? Is vaporizing T_C different than doing the same to nic and flavoring?

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For this black market T_C vape why add anything other than PG or VG? Does anyone know the answer to that one? Is vaporizing T_C different than doing the same to nic and flavoring?
From my limited research, the cannabis industry for some reason is opposed to using Pg or Vg. I can understand the dislike for vg because of its thick viscosity. The reason they were using vitamin E acetate was to thin the THC for those little THC pens.

Plus, a lot of the black market vials were being made by amateurs.

My perspective on the THC Vape health issues (cannabis lab director) : electronic_cigarette

https://fox6now.com/2019/09/10/20-year-old-wisconsin-man-accused-of-making-illegal-vaping-cartridges/?fbclid=IwAR2lh7xF4I_UHp9s5btrazTLbO8_fl5ymXXSPYyIl67_On8TTb91w3CuNDk

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Everything You Need to Know About Pre-Filled Oil Vape Cartridges
Additives: Additives are sometimes used in vape cartridge oils as a supplemental thinning agent. In some cases, methods have been taken to “cut” or infuse various hash oils with certain substances such as polyethylene glycol (PEG), propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), or even medium chain triglycerides (MCT), such as coconut oil, in order to maintain a less viscous and lasting oil consistency conducive to standard atomizer functionality. This process has become highly controversial due to raised health concerns, and products containing these thinning agents are showing up less on the market as of late.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When my daughter was 17 years old she asked me for her own vape setup. No nicotine, just flavored vape. She wasn't a smoker, but most of her friends were. She didn't want to start smoking, but was experiencing some peer pressure to start. Like many teens do, they would gather somewhere, hang out together and smoke cigarettes.

I told her when she turned 18 I would set her up for her birthday present. The legal age to smoke or vape at that time was 18. Funny thing, many of her friends stopped smoking and began vaping instead.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
Way back I used to purchase Tocopherol - Vit E acetate to use in body lotions and skin balms. It is/was used widely in the cosmetic industry as a preservative and products don't tend to go bad as quickly. Then it wasn't cheap, I wouldn't imagine now it is either, unless they were watering it down further with something else.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm not sure how we can keep teens from vaping. We probably can't. I remember when I was that age we always knew some adult who would buy us cigarettes, beer, or Boones Farm alcohol.

Tougher penalty for selling/buying vape products. Higher fines, possible mandatory jail time. Make parents responsible with the same penalties.

Restricting sales to just vape shops, no gas station or convenience stores. Offer teens some immunity to ratting on those adults selling them vapes. That is how the adults making the black market thc vials were caught.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Way back I used to purchase Tocopherol - Vit E acetate to use in body lotions and skin balms. It is/was used widely in the cosmetic industry as a preservative and products don't tend to go bad as quickly. Then it wasn't cheap, I wouldn't imagine now it is either, unless they were watering it down further with something else.
Chemicals in general are usually fairly cheap. Skin creams are generally very expensive even if they’re made out of chemicals that are very cheap. Purity is also often an issue. Puré chemicals are often a lot more expensive. 99%, 99.9% and 99.99% pure are very different amounts for some things but not others and can command very different prices. It all depends on what that 1%, 0.1% or 0.01% is made up of.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I think I was literally the only one in my group of friends that waited to try smoking until I was 18. I regret ever trying that first cigarette. I didn't try it from peer pressure but sheer curiosity. A lot of my friends gave in to peer pressure as young as 14 and 15.

It is simplistic to believe that successfully denying kids access to vape gear is always the right thing. I remember my first puff. I was watching my companion with no interest UNTIL he made a smoke ring. I had to try that. I've written here many times, I wish ecigs had been around when I was a kid.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
It is simplistic to believe that successfully denying kids access to vape gear is always the right thing. I remember my first puff. I was watching my companion with no interest UNTIL he made a smoke ring. I had to try that. I've written here many times, I wish ecigs had been around when I was a kid.
I was just saying kids will be kids, they'll experiment, and in my group I was an outlier by waiting until the legal age. Just reflecting. I was sitting in a restaurant (heh, try that today) and will never forget the feeling that came over me from my first few drags. It was 9 long years before e-cigs changed my course.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I was just saying kids will be kids, they'll experiment, and in my group I was an outlier by waiting until the legal age. Just reflecting. I was sitting in a restaurant (heh, try that today) and will never forget the feeling that came over me from my first few drags. It was 9 long years before e-cigs changed my course.
In principle I would accept banning ecigs if tobacco was also banned. Otherwise, this order of priorities is corrupt and misguided.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Life tends to lack perfect solutions

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I hear you. I'm against prohibition of either one, but yeah, I certainly agree.
There was an interesting point made by the last head of the FDA: because of the way sheet tobacco is made, the amount on nicotine in them is controllable, and it is within the power of the FDA to limit the amount of nicotine in a cigarette.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
When my daughter was 17 years old she asked me for her own vape setup. No nicotine, just flavored vape. She wasn't a smoker, but most of her friends were. She didn't want to start smoking, but was experiencing some peer pressure to start. Like many teens do, they would gather somewhere, hang out together and smoke cigarettes.

I told her when she turned 18 I would set her up for her birthday present. The legal age to smoke or vape at that time was 18. Funny thing, many of her friends stopped smoking and began vaping instead.

I honestly find that so cute. I think sometimes we forget what it is like to be teenagers all over again, especially in these times. Teens will do what they want at the end of the day, whether it is drink, smoke, vape, whatever. I think it’s important they feel safe talking about it with parents and if they’re gonna do something, better they be safe while doing it. If I had a child I’d much rather find out they’re vaping 0 nic than smoking. Even though I’m against teens doing it, but you know, if you had to choose I guess.

And don’t even get me started on the coffee stuff. Just last month I had a 13 year old student who was addicted to coffee. She'd drink like a liter of coffee EVERY DAY, made by her parents and they put it in a Thermos thing. The problems showed in her personality, always hyper and could not pay attention at all. Also, she had a sweet little mouth. Reported her to her parents -shrug-

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I honestly find that so cute. I think sometimes we forget what it is like to be teenagers all over again, especially in these times. Teens will do what they want at the end of the day, whether it is drink, smoke, vape, whatever. I think it’s important they feel safe talking about it with parents and if they’re gonna do something, better they be safe while doing it. If I had a child I’d much rather find out they’re vaping 0 nic than smoking. Even though I’m against teens doing it, but you know, if you had to choose I guess.

And don’t even get me started on the coffee stuff. Just last month I had a 13 year old student who was addicted to coffee. She'd drink like a liter of coffee EVERY DAY, made by her parents and they put it in a Thermos thing. The problems showed in her personality, always hyper and could not pay attention at all. Also, she had a sweet little mouth. Reported her to her parents -shrug-
Might have been a crude attempt to deal with ADDHD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread