How many people have died from vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SLC Utah
I have been using e cigs for 10 years and e cigs have been around for 14 years, but I can't remember even a single death being reported as caused by vaping. I've read about batteries exploding, I read about a child being killed from drinking 100mg PG nicotine solution, but how many children died the same day from drinking the cleaning fluid that mom leaves under the sink? A lot more. That kind of stuff doesn't count.

You would think the anti vaping people would have at least one example or some statistics to flaunt in our faces by now. So what I'd like to know is if any of you have read about a death or deaths caused by vaping and if you have a link to the story post it. It would be beneficial to all of us to know of every reported case because the anti vaping people are clearly not paying attention to that and if we know first we can look at each death to see if the report is plausible.

Reactions: stols001

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I have been using e cigs for 10 years and e cigs have been around for 14 years, but I can't remember even a single death being reported as caused by vaping. I've read about batteries exploding, I read about a child being killed from drinking 100mg PG nicotine solution, but how many children died the same day from drinking the cleaning fluid that mom leaves under the sink? A lot more. That kind of stuff doesn't count.

You would think the anti vaping people would have at least one example or some statistics to flaunt in our faces by now. So what I'd like to know is if any of you have read about a death or deaths caused by vaping and if you have a link to the story post it. It would be beneficial to all of us to know of every reported case because the anti vaping people are clearly not paying attention to that and if we know first we can look at each death to see if the report is plausible.

You'll never be able to use a death report (autopsy) to support vaping is or isn't safe. Many die without autopsies everyday, only done when there are questions about demise or the family pays for it, (maybe some places they are required no matter what). Even smokers' deaths aren't listed as smoking, it's usually heart attack/disease, cancer and so on. They may note if there is evidence the person was a smoker but that's about it.

Here's a good example. My FIL smoked, drank and had lung and colon cancer, was given short time and sent home to die. He got short on breath couldn't suck through a straw, called 911 to take him to a hospital, so as to preempt dehydration. Had a heart attack on the way there and passed on. Official cause of death, heart attack. Even though he had cancer, was a smoker, had Cirrhosis of the liver and drank. No autopsy was ever done, they weren't interested and we didn't have $4000 for something that didn't matter.

LMP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SLC Utah
You'll never be able to use a death report (autopsy) to support vaping is or isn't safe. Many die without autopsies everyday, only done when there are questions about demise or the family pays for it, (maybe some places they are required no matter what). Even smokers' deaths aren't listed as smoking, it's usually heart attack/disease, cancer and so on. They may note if there is evidence the person was a smoker but that's about it.

Here's a good example. My FIL smoked, drank and had lung and colon cancer, was given short time and sent home to die. He got short on breath couldn't suck through a straw, called 911 to take him to a hospital, so as to preempt dehydration. Had a heart attack on the way there and passed on. Official cause of death, heart attack. Even though he had cancer, was a smoker, had Cirrhosis of the liver and drank. No autopsy was ever done, they weren't interested and we didn't have $4000 for something that didn't matter.
We know how many deaths a year are caused by smoking, why don't we know how many people die each year from vaping?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
We know how many deaths a year are caused by smoking, why don't we know how many people die each year from vaping?

Because no one has ever died from causes attributable to vaping.

No one. Ever.

There have been a few injuries due to battery safety issues, etc. but no deaths..

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I will tell you a future potential problem though..

When we vapers begin to die. .. we smoked out whole lives and many, if not most, have smoking related medical issues.

I know my throat was full of pre cancer cells by the time I switched.

If I get cancer even in 10 years, it's from smoking.. I was having throat problems which caused further testing and found out my throat was full of pre cancer cells. The tests were done a full 6 years prior to my taking up vaping.

But I'd guarantee you that if I were to get cancer in 10 years, someone will make the attempt to connect it to vaping if I am still vaping at the time.

Our deaths, especially if smoking related problems come back to haunt us, can potentially skew the information in the future.

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Off topic

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama

Actually we don't, all we know is the numbers they put out. Just like with vaping propaganda it's the same with smoking. Sometimes it's true when an autopsy is done, other times it just by what a person has on a medical file or what their kin has said, such as a history of smoking.

Just like my example many are diagnosed with cancer but actually die from the body weakening before the cancer actually kills them. It's the same as people diagnosed with AIDS, many die from infections first. That's why it's usually listed as complications from xxxxx.

Think about it, you are relying on information for smoking deaths put out by the same agencies that are demonizing vaping.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
From the Navy Times

"Military health officials say there have been no fatalities as a result of vaping.

The unequivocal statement from the Armed Forces Medical Examiner on Thursday comes after the Army Public Health Center retracted a report that two Marines had died as a result of seizures induced by vaping.

[Nope nope nope. Not a topic for discussion on ECF. Period. End of discussion. Sorry, didn't even think about that being mentioned....March411]

Last edited:

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
To my knowledge, no one has died from vaping!:thumbs:

There are those who has purchased counterfeit batteries for mods & these caused physical harm, yet that was being careless on their part by ordering low cost clones on eBay & similar sites. It's imperative to order from reliable suppliers of high reputation, there's some good guys on eBay also, Feedback is Everything!:)

As far as vaping goes, much of what's in the e-juice are actually ingredients used for cooking and food processing. Some companies won't make a stand and say their products are safe for vaping, because they're afraid of the Federal government & other liabilities. However, I respect their choice in the matter, many will still purchase certain brands of flavorings or whatever for mixing from these vendors.

If there is an unbiased, official list of people who has died of vaping, I'd like to see it presented.:)

Cat

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Ingesting and inhaling are two very different things. While I believe vaping is safer than smoking, vaping hasn't been around long enough to know the long term side effects. Not a big deal for me, maybe different for a teen or twenty something after vaping for forty years.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Ingesting and inhaling are two very different things. While I believe vaping is safer than smoking, vaping hasn't been around long enough to know the long term side effects. Not a big deal for me, maybe different for a teen or twenty something after vaping for forty years.

Yes, these are two different things & there's few long term studies on vaping. Mainly because it's still new to many who are now enjoying indulging. However, I will say this, as a former 37 year smoker that had a lot of smoking related health issues in late 2013, my health has greatly improved since then. X-Rays of the chest and taking the breath test through a tube to measure improvement are real & in my doctor's office. I'd gladly accept an invitation to examined by an unbiased physician of the FDA to see my health in 2013 versus today and would bring all of my records with me.:)

Plus over $300 in medications to treat the conditions that was needed for over 6 years has been out of my life after just six months of vaping. Most likely, I'd not be here to type this post had I not met a man doing some work next door who vapes & got me onto it. Gums, patches, biofeedback, none of it controlled my cravings. Vaping made analogs taste nasty to me & was on my last half pack.

I don't believe we'll be reading of many (if any) who has died of vaping.:thumbs:

Cat

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City

Attachments

• Major New Study Finds No Long Term Risks with Vaping.pdf
    243.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Long Term Vaping Causes No Negative Health Issues from Dr Riccardo Polosa.pdf
    165.8 KB · Views: 53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread