Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
There have been zero deaths from vaping itself, and I haven't even heard of a death caused by a kid drinking liquid. The ONLY death I heard of was an adult that put eliquid in a syringe and injected it directly into his vein. Pretty sure he won a Darwin Award for that.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
There was Jimmy "Big Clouds" Johnson, a 23 year old unemployed Californian who attempted to build (in his basement bedroom of his parents house) a 30 battery mech mod of his own design in he proudly called the "Javelin" to win the San Jose Cloud Off in 2016. The design would later to become known as the "Shotgun" He made his Octo coil atty with coils measuring down to .001ohm. Jimmy felt he was ready for the comp with a new 80's era black metal band t-shirt to compliment his jeans with the waist perched down below his .... crack and new Snap Back cap cocked slightly to the side. Unfortunately, like all mech mod users, Jimmy forgot to check for shorts. Upon testing his new mod, 3 seconds into his inhale, the batteries went thermal, ending not only Jimmy's chances of winning the competition, but also his life and any chance of having an open casket funeral. The explosion was heard for miles around. His father, the renowned evolutionary biologist Dr. James Johnson said, "His mother and I are obviously saddened by this loss but given my education and background I know sometimes nature has a way of culling the herd. Despite coming from premium breeding stock, the boy was never right and as a species we can at least rest in the knowledge he won't reproduce."

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
How long does it take to get clogged arteries? How many years to develop skin cancer from sun exposure? Degenerative discs? Dementia?

I have one internet friend (lifelong vegetarian/vegan/absolutely NON-SMOKER) who is having very serious health problems (cancer), along with members of her family (another cancer family member, diabetes, stroke, ADD, depression, etc.)

I don't know that we will ever know what killed us in each and every case. All I know is I smoked for over 45 years and was extremely miserable for at least the last decade of smoking--horrible coughing episodes in the mornings, gagging on the inhales, spending mucho bucks/week for the cigs--all to the point I just had to stop the insanity. I didn't really WANT to, but I just couldn't take it any more.

Whether or not I live an extended life, at least I'm not coughing up a lung every morning, and I don't smell like an ashtray.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
There was Jimmy "Big Clouds" Johnson, a 23 year old unemployed Californian who attempted to build (in his basement bedroom of his parents house) a 30 battery mech mod of his own design in he proudly called the "Javelin" to win the San Jose Cloud Off in 2016. The design would later to become known as the "Shotgun" He made his Octo coil atty with coils measuring down to .001ohm. Jimmy felt he was ready for the comp with a new 80's era black metal band t-shirt to compliment his jeans with the waist perched down below his .... crack and new Snap Back cap cocked slightly to the side. Unfortunately, like all mech mod users, Jimmy forgot to check for shorts. Upon testing his new mod, 3 seconds into his inhale, the batteries went thermal, ending not only Jimmy's chances of winning the competition, but also his life and any chance of having an open casket funeral. The explosion was heard for miles around. His father, the renowned evolutionary biologist Dr. James Johnson said, "His mother and I are obviously saddened by this loss but given my education and background I know sometimes nature has a way of culling the herd. Despite coming from premium breeding stock, the boy was never right and as a species we can at least rest in the knowledge he won't reproduce."
If you decide to write a book I'm first in line.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Ingesting and inhaling are two very different things. While I believe vaping is safer than smoking, vaping hasn't been around long enough to know the long term side effects. Not a big deal for me, maybe different for a teen or twenty something after vaping for forty years.

I'm with you on this. It's not that I want to get sick but hey did we really worry about "is it safe" when we started or kept smoking. We know vaping is safer but still know it isn't safe, nothing is, including the water we drink and the air we breathe (if we listen to all the studies).

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I could see using this "flavoring" Capsicum HEAT by Flavor West being dangerous and painful to vape in high concentrations. Possibly lethal in too high a concentration. Then again you would have to be insane to use a substance 3 to 5 times stronger than pepper spray as a vape additive.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The answer is: it is unanswerable at this time, due to vaping being a harm reduction method for former smokers, and the length of time vaping has been around.

Short-term reports are pretty encouraging though, and anecdotal experience tells me if I die, it will likely be due to my Several Decades of heavy smoking, culminating in 3 ppd and 18 months of pneumonia.

I caught a cold this morning and was coughing (at first) a bit like I remember doing constantly when I smoked. It was unpleasant, but the first cold I caught after transitioning, I made a "preemptive" doctor appointment I did not NEED... for the first time in years my cold just went away. I expect this one to, as well, and it means I get to be lazy today.
:
Anecdotally (and I vape like I smoked, with enthusiasm) I can tell you that vaping is not impeding my body's ability to "heal" itself from smoking, although certainly it is possible that cold turkey is SAFER than vaping. It's a moot point because I can only go cold turkey if pregnant or nursing, and I'm not prepared to have a kid a year until I DIE, because vaping is pretty stellar in comparison to smoking the way I did, or previous cold turkey quits which resulted in rapid and catastrophic failure. Etc.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I regularly read death certificates from the coroners reports from all over the country and in 13 years have not seen smoking mentioned once. Heart disease in what I see the most often as cause of death.
Smoking is a behavior, and not a diagnosis.

Smoking can lead to medical disorders that can cause death: Lung cancer, throat and oral cancer, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), emphysema, chronic bronchitis, heart (coronary artery disease), etc.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Smoking is a behavior, and not a diagnosis.

Smoking can lead to medical disorders that can cause death: Lung cancer, throat and oral cancer, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), emphysema, chronic bronchitis, heart (coronary artery disease), etc.
It will be the same with vaping in the future. When you fall down a flight of stairs and break your neck, broken neck or catastrophic injury is what will be listed as cause of death.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
It will be the same with vaping in the future. When you fall down a flight of stairs and break your neck, broken neck or catastrophic injury is what will be listed as cause of death.

Man is taken to the morgue and the coroner looks him over, he finally lists cause of death as natural causes. The man's widow shows up later and asks to see the coroner.

Upon meeting him she asks, "How can you list my husband's death as natural causes, he was shot 13 times?"

The coroner looks at her and simply replies, "Yes ma'am he was shot 13 times and naturally he died."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread