How many people have died from vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuicyPaul76

Mar 5, 2018
Hmmm I have to believe vaping is less harm full than smoking, but it is as of yet not conclusively proven. note it was deliberate that i did not say it was safer. the problem I have with this whole discussion is that when I search for facts or proof of harm all I find is pro vaping propaganda, I realize we need to fight to keep government from out lawing vaping, but pro propaganda is counter productive and a hinderance to the truth what ever that may be.

AlleyKat

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Seattle, WA
the only things I can honestly contribute are: vaping is a proven form of "harm reduction" as opposed to continued smoking analogs....& always know, inspect & respect your gear. As an occassional modder (3 slot plastic AA battery boxes turned into 2×14500 VV mods that I'd then wire 510 connectors & firing buttons into altoids or similar tins with hobby store break aways so I could switch tins to suit my mood), know your electronics, use meters & test gear & ALL the help you need to answer questions & do it right to avoid accidental injury or (gulp) death. The rectangle between the tin & the 306w/drip shield atty is a volt meter (fyi) that I used every time I changed battery sets before hooking the battery box, most of the time I continued using it after as well (unless I needed to "stealth" it a bit by losing the extra length of the meter).
PS--I have yet to try to build a sub-ohm mod, this was back in 2013-14...when we vaped 2.5-3.0 ohm coils at 5-7V. definitely prefer sub-ohm but haven't had time or money to research & experiment with a new sub-ohm geared build.

Attachments

• 2012-03-24 18.08.00.jpg
    2012-03-24 18.08.00.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 19

LANNUOWEI

Unresolved Status
Mar 7, 2018
www.facebook.com
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
People will all twist the facts to support their cause, it is human nature! Even back when we had truth in advertising laws and the morality police, things were stated in such a way to be legal, but not 100 % accurate. Now that the lawyers have totally screwed things up, people that pretty well claim anything! And support their claim with excerpts for a negative or positive - honest - report! Maybe we need another Wolf Man Jack broadcasting from Del Reo, Texas! He got away with his broadcasts by having the transmitter or the antenna in Mexico, although he personally was in Texas! He found the legal loop hole!

You're exactly right, just look at those vitamin or health commercials. They can say all they want as long as they slap on the fine print. The same old boilerplate read every time, "The information provided has not been tested or approved by the FDA", "results not typical" and "not a cure or treatment to any disease"

Funny thing is over taking vitamins and/or minerals can be dangerous, yet we don't see any FDA action on it. We don't see these super concentrated vitamins behind the counter anywhere. Actually in a lot of pharmacies I've been to, they are right under the pharmacist's counter. What even kills it is, the pharmacist will rarely recommend any of them other than a daily multi-vitamin.

Now for the scary part, most pharmacies don't actually stock or regulate these vitamins/minerals. They actually lease the shelf space to the vendor, who is responsible for stocking and such. So pharmacies are allowing the stuff in the stores, making money off of it, while saying they don't actually endorse or condone the use of them.

The level of propaganda is amazing if you really look for it, kinda makes you wonder where that safety regulation really is. If it has Nicotine we need to regulate, yet too much Red Bull can kill you but it and many of the ingredients are right over the counter.

Reactions: stols001

Qaay

Verified Member
Sep 18, 2017
Poland
A much harder question to answer would be how many lives has vaping saved?

How many millions so far?

It's not that hard of a question. The only problem is... scientific data, lives saved or potentialy saved doesn't really work well as a valid argument for broader public opionion and history proves that - for example: Holy inquisition. Before holy inquisition was established 100 charges of heresy equaled 100 executions / lynches etc. After inquisition has been formed we had about 1 execution per 100 trials. Is't a fact known from many historical sources, but we know how inquisition and inquisitors are portrayed in mass media / movies / computer games and what average joe will have to say about this subject... Example no.2 : General Francisco Franco - a man who prevented the bolshevik revolution in Spain - same revolution which took 20 mln lives in Russia, 100mln lives in China, 2mln in kambodia(about 30% population) etc. A man who saved all spanish jews during ww2 and granted assylum to over 30k jews from other european countries... this man in the eyes of average joe stays in one line with hitler, stalin, mao and pol pot...
Same situation with vaping, despite the positive results of pretty much all known studies, despite our somehow subjective but still valid observations of our own health, i hear so often such sentence: "You shouldn't smoke that, i heard it's even more dangerous than regular cigarettes!". So... hands down... logic... arguments... science... it's nothing... for public opinion only simple things / emotional things matter. This is why i didn't like the movie "one billion lives" because it was a movie for... nobody... For vapers it was just "convincing of already convinced" for non vapers it was a "vape industry propaganda" - because EU and FDA wants to ban vaping and they know what they are doing!...
So it's not a problem to count the lives saved it's just a prevaling problem with human nature and ignorance. For many lesser evil is just as bad as bigger evil and the only alternative to evil is a total elimination of such evil - it's just an utopian and very naive thinking. It's easy to figure out how many people died but forseeing how many people would be saved otherway requires a bit more of intelectual effort that sadly not many people are capable of or they cba to do so...

It's not just Poland. You can buy similar thing in America. Great for cleaning tanks. Accidentally, for drinking too. Just add one cap of water per two caps of spirit.

Yay, we do the same ratio in Poland! With the diffrence that we often forgot about adding the water tho...

Last edited:

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
You're exactly right, just look at those vitamin or health commercials. They can say all they want as long as they slap on the fine print. The same old boilerplate read every time, "The information provided has not been tested or approved by the FDA", "results not typical" and "not a cure or treatment to any disease" Have you listened to a pharmaceutical commercial on TV lately? They speak the fine print out loud, and it's pretty scary. All from medication that HAS been approved by the FDA. Some of the most prescribed medications in the US today have very serious/fatal side effects.

And actually, the FDA has made more than one attempt to regulate the supplement industry with huge backlashes from the public. Raquel Welch testified against government regulation at one Congressional hearing in 1999, which was on YouTube at one time, but I can't find it now. Years before that, I remember my mother being upset that they wanted to regulate supplements.

Anything can be potentially dangerous. Personally, I think sugar and GMOs are risky, but what do I know?

Todd Geer

Feb 12, 2018
Fort Collins, Colorado
I suspect the greatest risk of vaping fatalities are those the inadvertently or intentionally get between a vaper and his/her vape.
Having that at work - I'm a very level headed guy, just want those around me to be happy, in a good mood - always trying to perk people up, converse, buy them lunch, sodas, etc. But tell me I can't safely inhale my nicotine indoors instead of taking an outside-the-building smelly break, and I get a little hot :)

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Realistically nobody will know the effects of vaping for at least 20 years when studies can be conducted on users. I was in the local B&M and said them same words and I thought I was going to get killed before I could get out of there. You know I was hearing the regular rigmarole about how vaping will be saving your life. And I want this to be true however I'm not too sure because there's no evidence of that. But as stated above there is no Nexus between vaping and dying.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Agreed. Vaping has without a doubt improved my life, remains to be seen how many years it may have bought me.

I kind of hope it doesn't buy me too many years. I'd much rather go while still at home, with all my mental faculties, and loved, than withering away, abandoned, in a run down "retirement" home.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I simply don't think like that. I just take it as it comes and deal with whatever as best I can. I've worked in nursing homes and while not ideal it is much better than being homeless and alone in the world. There are many kind and witty personalities living in nursing homes.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I simply don't think like that. I just take it as it comes and deal with whatever as best I can. I've worked in nursing homes and while not ideal it is much better than being homeless and alone in the world. There are many kind and witty personalities living in nursing homes.

I probably wouldn't think this way, but I have watched 3 Great Grandmothers, and 1 Grandmother spend their final years in nursing homes and I just don't want to go that way.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I probably wouldn't think this way, but I have watched 3 Great Grandmothers, and 1 Grandmother spend their final years in nursing homes and I just don't want to go that way.
Exactly the same is on my mind and I'm old enough for it to be a priority. I stopped smoking over three years ago. Hooray for me. But in the last few months, diving deep into retirement issues I realized no amount of savings is enough to pay some punk to tie my shoes and wipe my behind in some rest home because I can't do it myself so, I need something money, can't buy, excellent health, beyond "normal" for my age. Stopping smoking makes me less unhealthy not more healthy.

I haven't been posting much on the forum in the last couple of months because I've been researching diet and exercise, mostly diet and making changes. I'm back to the hobby lifting I was doing during my 10 year hiatus from smoking decades ago. My home gymn has waited patiently for me to get interested again. (Iron doesn't age much.)

The other peice is diet and what I've settled on is an approach called ketogenic or keto (listen to the research scientists on youtube). I predict it will catch on and be as radical and tranforming and disruptive as vaping and effect many more people, businesses and governments than vaping. Switching from high carb/low fat to the reverse, and eating real food, has been liberating, exhilerating. Not so different from the early months after switching from smoking to vaping, better actually.

The best thing we could all be doing to demonstrate that switching to vaping is transformative and important is to be lean, fit, and healthy, not just sedentary former smokers. That's where I'm headed. It's fun. The people who've known me for a while are starting to notice. Even the women are taking an extra look. LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread