How much better is vaping with a vv mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dearme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Colorado
By the time you buy this, that, and the other, just to see, just to try, you could have bought a Provari. I really hate to see members buying different mods, and trying 6 different cartos/setups and not being happy, or always wanting 'something more' from their vape. Stick with a 3.7 PV and 2.0 cartos, save the money, and buy a Provari. You could always sell it in the Classies for almost what you paid for it if you should decide it's not for you, which would be almost unheard of, BTW. If you spend a lot of money on intermediate mods, you will never recover that money. A Provari in the beginning will be cheaper in the long run..........Just my not so humble opinion.

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
By the time you buy this, that, and the other, just to see, just to try, you could have bought a Provari. I really hate to see members buying different mods, and trying 6 different cartos/setups and not being happy, or always wanting 'something more' from their vape. Stick with a 3.7 PV and 2.0 cartos, save the money, and buy a Provari. You could always sell it in the Classies for almost what you paid for it if you should decide it's not for you, which would be almost unheard of, BTW. If you spend a lot of money on intermediate mods, you will never recover that money. A Provari in the beginning will be cheaper in the long run..........Just my not so humble opinion.
While I agree wholeheartedly with this, I'm very glad I have a rough stack as a backup to my provari and my ego batteries. I always have 2 spare ego batteries with me, wherever I go just so I'm covered.

TonyTT

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
Ottawa
Very well said. And, if I could piggyback, most everyone picks up vaping to quit smoking because of health benefits. I haven't heard a soul who has used a provari and not liked it. They offer a one year warranty with the purchase. The cost of the device is 160-170, not 250.

If you're serious about quitting smoking, which you obviously are because you're here and you're vaping, why not do whatever you can to maximize the experience in any way you possibly can? Sure, you'll spend more on the mod, but when you get it and fall in love with it, won't that be worth the guarantee to stay off the analogs? I see it as a small price to pay for my health, absolutely worth it, and that's why my wife lets me get away with it, too, lol. Plus, if for some reason you didn't like it, you could sell it in the classifieds section for near what you paid in a heartbeat or return it to provape, I'm sure.

Anyways, enough about the provari, back to VV. Everyone has pointed out the really big things, but one thing I didn't see mentioned is that sometimes, you want a harder hit than others. I've found that in the mornings, my throat is really dry (I snore) and I can't handle a killer throat hit. So I dial the voltage way down to 4.2-ish volts. After I've had my coffee and get to work, I pick it up to 4.7-5.2 volts, depending on the juice. On my drive home, in traffic, I want a murderous throat hit because DC traffic is insane, so I dial that sucker up to 5.8 volts. VV makes vaping so versatile to fit whatever type of hit you're craving, I absolutely love the flexibility and wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again. Hope this helps!

I definetely agree...I also find that it's almost cheating in a way to dial down your nic level. Vaping 21mg with my 510 and vaping it at 5.0 with my provari are totally different things. With the 510, I would have to spend a good 20 minutes of straight vaping before my nicotine craving was manageable...just manageable... This morning I turned on my provari, cranked it to 6.0, and in 2 hits I was feeling it, and I was good to go. With the 510, I could barely handle the loss of my morning cigarette. I feel that with VV, you have a lot more control on efficiently delivering the level of nicotine you need to address the level of craving you have...it's wonderful

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
There isnt an Ego that even comes close to a high quality VV or VW PV Nate, like I and some others where saying earlier step up and buy a quality unit from the get go and in the long run it will end up saving you money rather then going from Mod to Mod stepping up every time, its not about Dual Coil Carto's, it's about being able to run ANYTHING you want ANYTIME you want and hitting your sweet spot. Seeing there is a new product =Atty/Carto coming out every week or so you will have the proper tool to run whatever the best Atty'Carto/Tank mods that come out. Darwin, Provari are the 2 top selling and best units out there as of now ( my opinion only ) with superior customer service, and if buy chance you ever wanted to sell it you can get just about what you paid for it if you ever decide to sell ( I doubt you will sell though ) I think if anyone disagrees with this it's simply because they dont own one but once you do it's obvious which is better VW-VV or not VV, as for the electronics go the VW Darwin is tops, and the Provari is right behind it for the VV ( Again just my personal opinions Nate854 ).

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Yes VV is nice to have at times. Is it necessary, NO. For most people the best vape in the house is still going to be in the 3.7-4.2v range.
    You see a lot of extreme vapors posting in this kind of thread often, but they don't represent the needs of the masses.

Also the Kick by Evolv should be out shortly (I've already played with the final production model), and then for 45$ you can change any big bat mod into a VW mod.
    (you just get a 15mm shorter battery and install the kick on top of it)
    Nice part about the Kick is that you will finally be able to use up all those cartos that are the wrong resistance, it will self adjust the voltage to produce the right wattage that you have chosen.

Last edited:

madjack

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    I vaped 1.7ohm cartos on 3.7v for a long time and was very happy...then I acquired an Evercool VV box mod(similar to this one SmokBox VariCool )...absolutely amazing diff...first off is the consistency...vaping 3ohm cartos at around 5v and vaping near 5ml/day, I get the exact same hit from the first to the last..about 10hours later...change the batts and keep right on trucking...the ability to experiment with diff cartos at diff voltages with diff juices to find that absolute sweet spot with no restrictions cannot be understated...one thing I dislike about the Provari and LavaTube is the 2.5amp limiter which restricts what cartos you can use...in other words, I can vape a 1.5ohm DCC @ 5v and it will pull 3.3a...try that with either of the others and they will fall flat on their faces...a Darwin at near the same price(when you add batts and charger to a PrVa) would be a better choice or try a VV box mod now and wait for the Kick to add to an 18650 mechanical mod such as the Rs or SB...as has often been said, once you go VV you can't go back(or certainly will not want to)........
    madjack:2cool:

Last edited:

whatitstrue

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ.
    Yes VV is nice to have at times. Is it necessary, NO. For most people the best vape in the house is still going to be in the 3.7-4.2v range.You see a lot of extreme vapors posting in this kind of thread often, but they don't represent the needs of the masses.
    Also the Kick by Evolv should be out shortly (I've already played with the final production model), and then for 45$ you can change any big bat mod into a VW mod.
    (you just get a 15mm shorter battery and install the kick on top of it)
    Nice part about the Kick is that you will finally be able to use up all those cartos that are the wrong resistance, it will self adjust the voltage to produce the right wattage.

I have to disagree somewhat with this statement. while it may not be "necassary" for most to have the higher ranges. But as I said earlier you cant beat voltage or wattage regulation. Its just a more concisstant vape compared to fixed voltage. Fixed voltage is inconsistant. Its like having a stove that heats up to a certain temp and then slowly cools off from there. I would much rather have a stove that cooks at different temps and holds those temps. while I do agree that above 4.2 v may not be nesasary for everyone. Its a nice feature to have on top of the regulated voltage. As some juices vape best at different watts.

Last edited:

SCTony

ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2011
    South Carolina
    I just got this email-
    $89

"Koi and Mini Koi NOW instock @ GP (Good Prophets)

The Koi and Mini Koi is a Variable Voltage Tube Mod that can be
    adjusted to your needs from 3.0 to 6.0 volts.
    From now until Sunday evening (1-29-12), you can also save $10.00 off the Koi kit
    with coupon code: koivv
    Limited Stock! "

I don't know anything about the Koi- just passing along the info...

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I just got this email-
    $89

From now until Sunday evening (1-29-12), you can also save $10.00 off the Koi kit
    Limited Stock! "

A VV L-Rider by any name is still a .....................................
    You can get the same kit from ENS for $10 less.

Last edited:

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 3, 2010
    Hawaii
    www.xda-developers.com
    I just got this email-
    $89

Limited Stock! "

Looks like another re-labeled version of the Lavatube. Would expect the same performance out of it unless someone else can see a difference with the limited information available on the site.

As for the OP's question, I for one do not like VV mods as my every day device. They are nice to have and even better when you have stock of random resistance atomizers/cartomizers laying around. I have vaped from 3.2v all the way up to 7.4v and always end up liking the 3.7v-4.2v range the best with 1.5ohm-1.7ohm atomizers with the occasional 2.2ohm for my real fruity flavors. This is NOT to say that voltage is everything because its not, there is a lot of tradeoffs when selecting a device to keep in mind. Also keep in mind that ANY mod using a 3.7v non proprietary battery such as a AW/TF/Tenergy lithium ion is going to outperform an Ego just because it can deliver higher voltage for a longer time at a more consistent level.

Variable voltage/wattage devices can be used to make otherwise useless atomizers in your inventory turn into vapor breathing dragons. They have protection circuits built in for the most part which add another layer of protection. They can give you lots of useful information about your device's operating status. They are fun to play with because you can tinker with a million combinations and get great vapes.

Mechanical devices (typically 3.7v while most can do 3.7v/4.8v/6.0v and some 7.4v) are not regulated. They do offer a nice balance as there is less things to go wrong simply because there is less parts. They also can offer very nice vapes and the quality of the vape really doesn't drop a whole lot until the battery is almost dead as most high drain batteries will put out 3.7v+ the majority of their charge. I loved messing with my PV and accessories in the past but I am much lazier now, and I like having a routine. I grab my device and throw in a fresh battery, I am set for the day. I know that I will be back to the charger well before the battery gets below 3.7v so its a mute point. This is not saying that you cannot do the exact same thing with a VV device but if you are going to just leave it at 3.9v then to me I'd rather go for all mechanical.

I guess my point is that there is no "Better", there is equal trade offs when talking about the different types. Fans of each will always support their side and its up to you to decide what is most important to you in a mod.

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
    Jan 14, 2010
    Long Beach, California
    Nate, I would highly recommend the LAVATUBE for you. It may not be the best like the ProVari but it will be an excellent PV for you, as a matter of fact, I own a ProVari , but I am thinking of getting a LAVATUBE, also for it's lighter weight. LAVATUBE will be an excellent one if you use 2.2-3.0 ohm ato/cartos. Dual coil cartos are now available in 2+ ohms now, so we'll be OK.

mark2101

Feb 20, 2010
    ky
    got my lavatube - cylon in today got to say it a huge improvement over a reg 510 but im suffering from change of taste from quiting anologs sometimes vapor & flavor is great other times Blah
    I have tryed all kinds of different things form tank cartos and atomizers same result but being able to change the voltage does help nothing wrong with the mod its just me wow its been 2 years since ive been here hope i can hang in this time but i have some experience and better vaping gear

Last edited:

Nate854

Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Trust me guys, I usually go for the most bad ... of anything when I jump into a new "thing" but paying $250 for a mod is not on my radar right now. Money isn't an issue but I'm not trying to be hardcore so soon lol, you guys seem like veterans.

I enjoy my eGO-T with LR boge cartos but I'm just looking for something to give me a little more flavor/warmth in my juices and figured any vv mod will work as long as it's put together well and not a pos. Thank you all for the feedback, will read and read more over the replies.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread