How much nicotine is in my mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b2darizzle

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2013
New Orleans, LA
I know this has to be posted somewhere (several times over), but I wanted to ask first hand.

I started mixing my own juice (which is saving me A LOT of money), but I don't quite know how to calculate how much nicotine is actually in it. So far the recipe goes:

• 14.7% nicotine (100% PG @ 60 mg)
  • 51.4% PG/VG (50% PG / 50% VG)
  • 33.8% flavoring (2 flavors combined @ 100% PG each)

From these stats, how can I estimate how much nicotine is in my mix in milligrams? Also, can I calculate the approximate PG/VG ratio?

Looking at the numbers, I can tell this is basic algebra, I just want to make sure there aren't other factors I'm leaving out.

Any help is appreciated.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Your percentages only add up to 99.9. That aside, your nicotine content ≈ 8.82mg/mL.

Your VG content ≈ 74.2% and your VG content ≈ 25.8%.

I used "≈" instead of "=" because of the mysterious missing 0.1%.

There's actually no algebra involved in calculating your percentages with the information you posted.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
You don't have to estimate....but since your %'s only add up to 99.9% the solution will not be dead-on...

The "mg" for your nicotine solution is crappy shorthand for mg/ml.

For these exercises of the mind I like to assume a 10ml bottle is being made.
1.47ml of 60mg/ml nicotine = 88.2mg of nicotine total
Add the 1.47ml of PG and the 5.14ml of PG/VG and the 3.38ml of PG for an approximate total of 10ml. (I'm rounding the 9.99ml up just a tad.)
88.2mg/10ml = 8.8mg/ml final strength.

You have 2.57ml of VG since the 5.14 is 50/50 PG/VG and the rest is PG so your PG/VG is 74.3/25.7 or just 74/26 maybe call it 75/25 if you're not real picky and want to keep 0's or 5's as the final digit for some reason. (I don't think there is anyone who could tell the difference between 74/26 and 75/25 in a blind test anyway.)

ETA: Facemeat typed a bit faster than I did...

b2darizzle

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2013
New Orleans, LA
I have a little 3ml bottle I've been doing tiny mixes in just to test the flavors. For the recipe I mentioned, I used 68 drops total with to make up the following:

10 drops | Nicotine (100% PG @ 60 mg) ≈ 14.7%
35 drops | PG/VG (50/50) ≈ 51.4%
3 drops | Flavor 1 @ 100% PG ≈ 4.4%
20 drops | Flavor 2 @ 70/30 ≈ 29.4%

I'm using ≈ because I'm not adding the hundredth decimal point, but I'm not rounding up at all.

Your percentages only add up to 99.9. That aside, your nicotine content ≈ 8.82mg/mL.

Your VG content ≈ 74.2% and your VG content ≈ 25.8%.

I used "≈" instead of "=" because of the mysterious missing 0.1%.

There's actually no algebra involved in calculating your percentages with the information you posted.

So you get the nicotine content by multiplying the percentage used in the mix by the mg content of the nicotine solution?

Also, how are you getting those percentages for the PG and VG?

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Face Meat, you're up...

Tights too tight?

toothy.gif

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
So you get the nicotine content by multiplying the percentage used in the mix by the mg content of the nicotine solution?

14.7% of it was PG nic base
51.4% was 50/50 PG/VG so there's another 25.7% PG (50% of 51.4 is 25.7)
33.8% was PG flavoring

14.7+25.7+33.8=74.2

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I have a little 3ml bottle I've been doing tiny mixes in just to test the flavors. For the recipe I mentioned, I used 68 drops total with to make up the following:

10 drops | Nicotine (100% PG @ 60 mg) ≈ 14.7%
35 drops | PG/VG (50/50) ≈ 51.4%
3 drops | Flavor 1 @ 100% PG ≈ 4.4%
20 drops | Flavor 2 @ 70/30 ≈ 29.4%

I'm using ≈ because I'm not adding the hundredth decimal point, but I'm not rounding up at all.

I'll have a go at it.

It's a good thing that you are asking these questions, as you should seriously know how to do this math when doing DIY e-liquid.

It looks as if you know how to figure percentages already, from the recipes posted, but I'll cover that anyway.

Taking the nic liquid portion from your recipe, 10 drops out of a total of 68 drops, that would be 10/68 = 0.147, or 14.7% of the mix.

It should be noted that this is only correct if all of the various liquid drops sizes are equal, which is unlikely. Therefore, 14.7% is probably just an approximation in this case, but I'll ignore that.

Using the same math, you can figure the PG and VG content. Flavorings generally count as PG, so the only VG is half of your 50/50 mix. So, 17.5/68 = 25.7% VG. You can either subtract that from 100%, or calculate the PG portion to get the 74.3% PG.

As for the nicotine content (which should be interpreted as the total milligrams of nicotine in the batch,) you need to know the number of milliliters of nicotine liquid added. That information is not in the post quoted here, so this can't be calculated here.

As Hoosier noted, your use of '60mg' is a common, but crappy, shorthand for mg/ml (milligrams per milliliter.) That expresses the nicotine concentration, or strength, in the solution by expressing the number of mg of nicotine per ml of liquid. This could be approximated here by taking 14.7% of 60mg/ml, which is about 8.8mg/ml. Once again, your drop sizes are probably all different, so this would not be precise.

Now, taking Hoosier's example of assuming a 10ml total batch, so that we have an actual number of ml to work with:

14.7% (nic liquid portion) of 10ml = 1.47ml of 60mg/ml nicotine solution

You can figure the nicotine content by multiplying the number of ml of nicotine solution added, by the number of mg per ml in that concentration:

1.47ml * 60mg/ml = 88.2mg of nicotine in the batch of 10ml.

You can figure the nicotine concentration by dividing the number of mg of nicotine by the number of ml in the batch:

88.2mg / 10ml = 8.82mg/ml (8.82mg of nicotine per ml of solution)

I hope I managed to make that somewhat understandable. I'm not always good at that.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
no, kidding,,, download the calculator

Except it doesn't work in Mac's. I thought there was an online version?

Help me out because I'm not understanding.
I have 60mg nic in VG base.
I want to vape unflavored 24mg VG.
Say I'm filling up a 60ml bottle.
How much VG do I add?

We could also do it for a 10ml bottle because then I could multiply the amounts I needed to get to whatever size bottle I had, right?

mmsjs5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Illinois

How much VG do I add?

We could also do it for a 10ml bottle because then I could multiply the amounts I needed to get to whatever size bottle I had, right?

2ml of 60mg + 3ml of 0mg = 5ml of 24mg :vapor:

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Drops...such an imprecise measurement. At least get a 10ml oral syringe from the pharmacy or something if your in a pinch. Blunt tip syringes are dirt cheap to buy, it's not like your investing in a burette, a lab stand, and a three prong clamp set. Sorry, but as a chem student I cringe every time I see people using drops. Not only is it inaccurate but it probably takes longer too.

Anyways..what percentage do you want? Use this formula
N(CI)xV(NF)=V(T)xN(CF) where as N(CI)=Nicotine concentration initial, V(NF)=Volume of nicotine needed(the variable), V(T)=total volume of the mix you want to make, and N(CF) Nicotine concentration final(what you want it to be)

so lets say you have 60mg/ml nicotine base and you wish to make 15ml of a 18mg/ml flavor mix.

(60mg/ml) x (Xml)=(15ml) x (18mg/ml)
(60X)=270mg
X=4.5ml of nicotine base needed in a 15ml solution to make it an 18mg/ml solution

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA

How much VG do I add?

Here's a way to do without an e-liquid calculator:

First, using the correct unit of measure makes it easier to understand. You're using a nicotine base that is 60mg/ml, so every ml of base liquid has 60mg of nicotine in it.

You want 60ml of 24mg/ml, so you need 60ml * 24mg/ml = 1440mg of nicotine in the batch.

Since you're using a 60mg/ml base, you need 1440mg / 60mg/ml = 24ml of nic base in the batch. That leaves 36ml of VG to top it off.

To prove that:

24ml * 60mg/ml = 1440mg nic (nic base)
36ml * 0mg/ml = 0mg nic (VG)

That's 1440mg of nicotine in the batch. Divide that by the batch size to get the nic concentration, or milligrams per milliliter:

1440mg / 60ml = 24mg/ml

I hope this helps. While it may look a bit complicated to explain it so, it's quite easy when you get used to it.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I hope this helps. While it may look a bit complicated to explain it so, it's quite easy when you get used to it.

I sure hope so. I've been reading this stuff for 6 months now and still haven't been able to understand. I'm just going to have to start doing it anyway. I don't know why it's not more like cooking. Thanks. I'm going to have to sleep on this.

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
I sure hope so. I've been reading this stuff for 6 months now and still haven't been able to understand. I'm just going to have to start doing it anyway. I don't know why it's not more like cooking. Thanks. I'm going to have to sleep on this.

ONLINE calulator for juice: There is a tread on it in the dyi section. It runs completely online so the Mac issue should be gone.
You can create an Id and save recipes. It seems to work well.

dot1ml | Eliquid calculator & recipe repository

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread