how much nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemanmaz

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
U.K. Halifax West Yorkshire
If the following statement is correct( I found it on a web site while looking for the temp of a e-cig) does that mean that when we switch to the e-cig we will become even more dependant on nicotine.

• The Ruyan contains up to 10 times more nicotine per inhalation than a cigarette.
  • Nicotine is highly addictive and a neurotoxin.
  • More research must be done before the Ruyan can be recommended.

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
What website did you read this at?

The way I understood it to be is:

1. It takes 6 - 7 puffs on an e-cig to equal one puff of a real cig
2. E-cig nicotine is roughly half of what you would inhale from a real cig.
(a light cig has 11mg and an e-cig with 11mg would be 6.5 that you would inhale)

Someone correct me if I am wrong or did I over look something.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Go to Health New Zealand and you'll find lab tests on Ruyan cartridges. There is nowhere near the nicotine content you quote. At the most, each puff is less than half a puff from a tobacco cigarette. Another test made it 1/5th the nicotine. No, you are not getting more nicotine per puff. Which might explain why we non-stop e-puff. And why I never feel I get enough nicotine from e-smoking, despite non-stop use of 24mg liquid.

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
The Cigarettes that i have been smoking for the last 30+ years contain 0.8mg of nicotine each. Also each one contains 10mg Tar and 10mg of Carbon Monoxide.
0.8mg x 20=16mg which is the same amount of nicotine which is in a High Cart of the Gamucci Classic which i have started my E smoking with.
Which is why Gamucci and it's sellers claim that each High Cartridge is equal to one Twenty Pack of Real Cigarettes.
In reality it's more like Fifteen Real Cigarettes.
Take into consideration that with a real cigarette you put it down in an ashtray a few times so you don't actually smoke the full 0.8mg as some is just burning away.
Then take into consideration that of the nicotine you inhale with an E cig there is very little wastage.
So i reckon that i am smoking the same amount of nicotine with an ecig (or maybe less as i have found that i am losing the habit of having a Cig in my hand) but am losing 10mg of Tar and 10mg of Carbon Monoxide which is fine by me and much healthier than a real Cigarette.

So far so good. :thumb:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I understand your math, and while the Health New Zealand studies show less nicotine from e-smoking, I'm not entirely personally convinced. I'm pretty sure I've INCREASED my blood nicotine by e-smoking and snusing. Here are two relevant paragraphs from a medical article I read today:

"The nicotine content in cigarettes varies widely depending upon brand, but usually averages around 1mg per cigarette. The actual amount absorbed upon smoking will depend upon how the cigarette is smoked, as well as the presence and amount of other added ingredients. Compared to other delivery systems, nicotine levels from cigarettes peak within minutes and fall shortly thereafter. Because the half-life of nicotine is around 2 hours, those who smoke more than one cigarette over the course of a day will demonstrate accumulated nicotine levels in their plasma.

"It should be noted that the highly addictive quality of cigarettes lies not within its nicotine content, but rather its nicotine pharmacokinetics. Cigarettes provide an immediate jolt of nicotine to the CNS (central nervous system), resulting in almost instant gratification. Delaying nicotine gratification with the use of slower delivery mechanisms should aid minimizing addictive potential."

Does this not mean we could indeed "step down" nicotine levels to get off nicotine altogether at some point? Some might want to try that claim from various manufacturers. Let us know if it works.

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
From what I understand, six-odd puffs from a high-cart e-cig should deliver the same amount of nicotine than an ordinary smoke, but I personally feel that I'm getting a greater nicotine hit with each inhale.

So I don't inhale every time (that's actually better on the flavour front) and am currently debating whether to go for lower nic cartridges/juice or smoke the thing more like a hybrid device between a cigarette and a pipe. As an ex-pipe smoker (switching over to cigs when life became too stressful for puffing a pipe over 3/4 hrs) I find the notion quite attractive. Only works with plenty of vape though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread