Nicotine and MAOIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdfloornorth

Jul 15, 2010
Mississippi
This is probably not new information to most of you, so to keep it short, there are some studies that are saying the brunt of nicotine addiction may be coming from an unknown monoamine oxidase inhibitor(s) in cigarette smoke.

Monoamine oxidase inhibitors are commonly prescribed for treating atypical depression. The general gist is that nicotine triggers the release of dopamine, but MAOIs significantly decrease the decay time of dopamine in the brain.

It is being argued, from my understanding, that while nicotine is assuredly initial factor and may be helping sustain the addiction, animal tests show that nicotine by itself may not be as addictive as previously thought in the absence of these MAOIs.

My question becomes: I quit smoking 3 months ago and have recently found out about e-cigs, looking into buying a 510 and definitely some zero-nicotine juice.

But I was also considering getting some mid-low (10-16) nicotine juice to vape occasionally throughout the day, supplementing the 0mg juice which would make up the brunt of my experience.

My fear is that this may bring my addiction roaring back to life, but curiously enough these studies make me wonder if nicotine will be easier to put down again in absence of these MAOIs.

Does anyone have experience similar to mine, where they were quit smoking for months before trying nicotine juice in a complete absence of analog cigarettes? What was it like? Did you stop nicotine again after a while? How did your experience change? Any input?

A Few References

Nicotine and Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors

This is your brain on nicotine

Tobacco, Nicotine, and MAOIs, or: How Nalgas Switched to Dexedrine and Got Carried Away with Research - CrazyBoards

Last edited:

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
mostlylinux.wordpress.com
My question becomes: I quit smoking 3 months ago and have recently found out about e-cigs, looking into buying a 510 and definitely some zero-nicotine juice.

But I was also considering getting some mid-low (10-16) nicotine juice to vape occasionally throughout the day, supplementing the 0mg juice which would make up the brunt of my experience.

My fear is that this may bring my addiction roaring back to life, but curiously enough these studies make me wonder if nicotine will be easier to put down again in absence of these MAOIs.

You've been free of cigarettes for three months now, so why risk using the nicotine at all? The 510 and some zero-nicotine juice will more than satisfy if you're missing the act of smoking. And the variety of flavors of eliquid guarantee you an interesting journey of exploration and delight for quite some time to come. :D

thirdfloornorth

Jul 15, 2010
Mississippi
You've been free of cigarettes for three months now, so why risk using the nicotine at all? The 510 and some zero-nicotine juice will more than satisfy if you're missing the act of smoking. And the variety of flavors of eliquid guarantee you an interesting journey of exploration and delight for quite some time to come. :D

I know :) You're very right. I'm just curious what would happen, you know? I may just end up sticking to 0mg liquid...

thirdfloornorth

Jul 15, 2010
Mississippi
I take an maoi and found after I started vaping I began to get depressed.

It took quite awhile to over come this. If you want to vape to prevent

depression I do not think it will work.

Welcome to ECF:)

I've actually been suffering on and off extreme bouts of depression since I quit smoking. Part of the process as I understand it,though mine have seemed particularly bad.

Good to know that vaping isn't a cure for that lol. I'm still interested though. :D

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
mostlylinux.wordpress.com
I've actually been suffering on and off extreme bouts of depression since I quit smoking. Part of the process as I understand it,though mine have seemed particularly bad.

Good to know that vaping isn't a cure for that lol. I'm still interested though. :D

If all you've done is quit smoking without taking up vaping, then it's possible the root of your depression is that you're in mourning. As smokers, we had cigarettes as our constant companions, and giving those up is no easy thing to do. With vaping, you get to keep your companion. It just no longer is allowed to poison you with thousands of chemicals. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread