Vaping is not a complete substitute for tobacco smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone here switched to all natural tobacco with no additives? If so, how did your mind and body react in relation to the addiction?

I started rolling my own cigarettes in 2004 during a 6 month work stint in Holland. Taxes on cigs in the EU made them too expensive for me at that time. I kept on to this day. Loose tobacco for rolling is for the most part, all natural. It is curred and shredded and packaged. Pre-made cigs go through much more. They first cook it down and remove all the tar and nicotine from the tobacco ( I believe this is where the amonia was first introduced). The tobacco is dried and then the tar/nicotine soup is re-introduced with controlled levels of tar and nic. The soup is where all the special ingredients go and how they can accurately make the cig a light, ultra-light or full flavor. Supposedly, some companies use other fillers for the solids so they can stretch the tobacco. Smoke some wood chips anyone?

To answer the question, no difference for me between a Marlboro or a hand rolled Van Nelle Zware Shag, except that the hand rolled taste better.

CapZ

Mar 5, 2009
Thanks for the replies. While it's not a scientific study, at first glance it would seem the additives have little bearing on how addictive a cigarette is. But the fact remains, tobacco companies, all natural or not, remove all traces of nicotine, then add controlled amounts to decide how much of an addictive drug smokers receive, outside of FDA regulation. Isn't the nicotine manipulation considered an active effort to introduce an additive? Just because the nicotine was in the plant to begin with, doesn't mean it has to be there in the final product, other than for the want to keep people addicted.

I know I'm not stating anything new here. We all know Big Tobacco methods. It just seems to me the most important first step to understanding addiction to cigarettes, is FDA regulation of nicotine levels, which would make tobacco companies disclose on the box, how much of a known addictive drug they are giving consumers. As well as full disclosure of other methods they use to keep people addicted. Right now they are the experts. Until we know what they know, or figure out what they already know, do we ever really have a choice to smoke or not? Sorry this is turning into a rant well off topic.

CrystalLakeDave

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Carbondale PA
I have to say that I am easily moving over to vapor rather than cigs. I think it will be easier to quit vapor if I want than cigs all at once. At least now I am quitting some of the tobacco stuff, then I can tackle other things. I still crave tobacco though. But the e-cig calms it enough for me to focus my attention elsewhere. When I do smoke a regular cig again, I feel all crappy afterwards

I'm using the e-cig to reduce the number of analoges I would normally burn in a day. Without any real cravings, I have effortlessly reduced my habbit to 5 tobacco cigs a day - down from 40. I actually prefer the e-cig taste while drinking a beer or with scotch. But the analogues go best with coffee and tea. If I didn't have to see or smell analogues, I could probably get away completely - but the wife smokes them all day and won't touch her new e-cig. Not enough draw on them. Problem is, I catch myself vaping all day long, non-stop. I had to reduce the nic content to avoid OD'ing. The smaller micro's seem to be more efficient at nic delivery than the big pen style. I'll vape billows from the pen all day and feel fine. If I hit that micro more than I would a regular cig, my head starts to pound. Same juice in each.

I have been doing the RYO also. There was no adjustment period exept for the flavor and less coughing and hacking. But a good RYO tobacco has a higher natural nic level as opposed to a premade chemical nic level. Like to smoke a pipe too but I can smoke an entire bowl, put it down and smoke a cig.

I agree. Also, cigars do nothing for me. Half way into a cigar, I'm craving a cigarette. Same with snuff. I'll spit it out for a smoke. While I smoke the RYO in the majority, I do buy a pack of regulars now and again and tend to prefer them when they are around.

However, at a cost of 25 cents "per pack" (refilling with e-liquid) and the satisfaction that I'm not paying the state of NY $2.75 per pack in just tax (.......s!) the e-cig tastes a lot better than it might otherwise!

fredstrong

Feb 24, 2009
I have been smoking, on and off, for 28 years. I have smoked 1 - 1 1/2 paks of Marlboro reds a day, and I have quit for 1 - 2 years a number of times, but always found my way back.

I am sooooo happy to say, I have not smoked a single ciggarette since switching to e-cig. I have not battled any cravings, nor have I undergone, the all too familiar, withdrawals:thumb:. I am a JUNKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE when it comes to smoking!:evil: Thank God my Janty kissbox does the trick:wub:, I actually prefer it. I am sorry for those who are still in the battle despite the switch.

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
I have not read all the posts - I'll go back and read more.

I've always struggled to quit smoking, patches, gum, lozenges, hypnosis - everything, obviously none of that has worked. My husband quit with no problems at all, even with me continuing to smoke around him (I'm so mean)
The e-cig has helped more than anything so far, I am still smoking analogs, but 2-5 a day instead of the 20 +

At what point would the chemicals in the brain "heal" and go back to the way they were before smoking? Smoking obviously set off this crazy train, but at some point you would think the brain/chemical balance would correct itself (?)

I'm actually a little relieved to read its not something "in my head" LOL but you know, made up.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Question to the population of e-smokers: After quiting tobacco and vaping nicotine, are you able to keep the weight stable, the mind focused and your personality the same? I can passify the addiction with the e-cig, but will I lose all the benifits of tobacco smoking?

If you want to keep the weight stable, exercise and eat right. Buy your food at the edges of the grocery store, where the REAL food is, like meats, veggie and dairy and stay away from processed crap. For me, exercise gives me that 'high' that I equate with the gases in the analogs. Studies also show that exercise treats depression as well as antidepressant drugs (Google "Exercise Fights Depression.' I can't post links yet), which makes me wonder given all of the talk of MAOIs (which are also used to treat depression) in this thread. The Mayo clinic also claims exercise treats anxiety (Google for "Depression and Anxiety: Exercise eases Symptoms) which I would suspect one in nicotine withdrawal would definitely experience anxiety. Exercise and the right food will keep the personality where it needs to be.

I haven't given up analogs completely yet, so I do not pretend here to have completely switched to e-smoking as of yet. I usually smoke 2-4 analogs a day, compared to 36- 40 previously. I did have a recent two days that were analog only, but nowhere near as many analogs in those two days as previously. I presently am e-smoking a 3 mg solution. After 3 weeks of e-smoking, my weight is still stable at 173 lbs with a height of 6' 2" and my body fat percentage has not budged from 12.5%, but then I am also very strict about what I eat, sticking with lean proteins, low-carb veggies and complex carbs as opposed to simple. (This has been my diet for well over a year though, long before I got into e-smoking.)

RaverCJ

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Los Angeles
If you want to keep the weight stable, exercise and eat right. Buy your food at the edges of the grocery store, where the REAL food is, like meats, veggie and dairy and stay away from processed crap. For me, exercise gives me that 'high' that I equate with the gases in the analogs. Studies also show that exercise treats depression as well as antidepressant drugs (Google "Exercise Fights Depression.' I can't post links yet), which makes me wonder given all of the talk of MAOIs (which are also used to treat depression) in this thread. The Mayo clinic also claims exercise treats anxiety (Google for "Depression and Anxiety: Exercise eases Symptoms) which I would suspect one in nicotine withdrawal would definitely experience anxiety. Exercise and the right food will keep the personality where it needs to be.

I haven't given up analogs completely yet, so I do not pretend here to have completely switched to e-smoking as of yet. I usually smoke 2-4 analogs a day, compared to 36- 40 previously. I did have a recent two days that were analog only, but nowhere near as many analogs in those two days as previously. I presently am e-smoking a 3 mg solution. After 3 weeks of e-smoking, my weight is still stable at 173 lbs with a height of 6' 2" and my body fat percentage has not budged from 12.5%, but then I am also very strict about what I eat, sticking with lean proteins, low-carb veggies and complex carbs as opposed to simple. (This has been my diet for well over a year though, long before I got into e-smoking.)

I totally agree. A performance in the near future required me to drastically alter my eating habits and exercise habits (had to get really fit as I'm going to be almost naked on stage).

The week I started my whole diet and exercise regime just so happened to be the week I totally stopped analogs as well. I went running every morning as well as lifted 3 times per week. I get the same "high" from running as I did from analogs. An added benefit is that I'm keeping my weight under control as well. I realized though, the moment I stop running, I get really depressed, and I have a very short temper. So I guess, without analogs, I'm stuck with being healthy. Honestly, I think it's just more proof of how e-cigs can help improve your quality of life.

Exylis

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
Null
at this point I think the other chemicals we are addicted to are most likely gone. I dont have cravings for them when im vaping so the mental effected of blowing smoke has worked at making you not realize what you were addicted to.

The best thing to do is take this as a mind game the big tobacco is playing with us. If we think we are addicted to the paper in the analog then we will be. It is all in your head.

Amen! It is indeed a battle for the mind!!! That is where willpower is truly tested!

vapor2009

Feb 13, 2009
After 6 months of vaping, I am done with ecigs. Why? Honestly, it was not stopping the cravings, but it did subdue them. But thats not the only reason. I did find that my lung capacity improved slightly and I my blood pressure dropped from the absence of tar/co, but I have experienced my lungs constricting some times, usually in the morning or before going to bed. The whole reason of going to ecigs compared to analogs was the lung issues I was having with analogs, coughing up crapm, wheezing etc. With ecigs, I stopped coughing up crap but the constricted lungs still occur, at least for me. I started dipping, and wow, not even the 36mg eliquid I vape can come close to the buzz I get from dipping, plus absolutely no issues with the lungs. Other reasons I am stopping include the lack of scientific research on vaping e-liquid, basically with vaping, you are substituting a known danger for an unknown. Thats kinda scary. Also, as an American, and with the issues with our economy, I have been limiting my purchasing of Chinese products. Good luck with the vaping, I will be watching the progress.

RBRat3

Apr 8, 2009
After 6 months of vaping, I am done with ecigs. Why? Honestly, it was not stopping the cravings, but it did subdue them. But thats not the only reason. I did find that my lung capacity improved slightly and I my blood pressure dropped from the absence of tar/co, but I have experienced my lungs constricting...

Hmm thats quite intresting I just recently started vapeing and im quite curious of what this constricting felling is like, I know this post is possibly in the wrong section but 3 yrs ago I was diagnosed with a Spontanous Pneumothorax on my left lung (AKA collapsed lung with no prior injury to the lung). It was caused from blebs on my lung (blisters) that decided to pop and just collapsed and hurt like hell too. Well anyways to make a long story short they stitched the hole up and glued my lung to my chest wall and Ill be damned if there isnt a day that goes by that I have some sort off goofy felling, pain, or sensation. I thought ive experienced just about every chest sensation there is and Im just that little worried of a complication thats about to arise. BTW I stoped smokeing regular cigs because god blessed us with a pair, so if the left lung had it the right one probley has it an im not about to weakin my right lung to spend a &*%$ week in the hospital and im sure everyone agrees that being in a hospital sucks.

Ill add alittle here, Im going out on a limb here but you all know that nice calm high feeling you get from a smoke I often thought that this felling had something to do with depriving yourself of oxygen getting that nice light-headded feeling or I guess a confused high. but what the hey its just a thought.

But MAOI's are pretty ubiquitous- we get fairly significant amounts in coffee and alot of foods.

Hi - I'm not a scientist, but I'm enjoying this thread a lot perhaps because I've spent a lot of time over the years pondering why some seem to be able to put down cigarettes and others can't. I have always thought myself to be a member of the latter group, but I'm hoping I can change that with e-cigs.

I'm a 40 year cigarette smoker (approx 1 to 1.5 packs per day). I can't tolerate pipes, cigars or smokeless tobacco. To be honest, I really don't even like cigarette smoke, but I'm addicted to cigarettes despite that. I guess I enjoy the act of smoking...taking a break to have a smoke.

Probably the only reason I don't smoke more is because I've been conditioned over many years to not smoke at work due to the careers I've had...morning/lunch/evenings only for smoking. I don't even crave cigarettes except when those times of the day approach. When 11:30am or 4:30pm comes along, I'm fidgeting. Weird, huh?

I have tried patches, gum, a prescription "Nicotrol Inhaler" years ago...all failed, although I enjoyed the inhaler most of all. The inhaler was like a cigarette holder with a nicotine cartridge in it. No vapor, but helped a lot with the hand-to-mouth fixation though. I got my e-cigs just 4 nights ago...had 3 analogs that first night, 1 the following night...none in the last 72 hours. It's been going quite well, however the craving has been a bit intense tonight.

So I've been reading this thread for about 2 hours this evening and just went to the kitchen to warm up a cup of coffee from the pot I put in the refrigerator this morning (sounds disgusting, but it's really not too bad if you refrigerate it while it's still reasonably fresh in the morning...I've been doing it for years). I returned to my computer, sipped on that coffee plus took a few tokes on my e-cig and the cigarette craving passed. Ironically, that's when I read your post and the comment about MAOIs in coffee.

I'd like to go get another cup, but since it's pretty close to bedtime, I'm sitting here wondering if the MAOI is in both decaf coffee and regular coffee? LOL :) I know that sounds dumb, but if a cup of coffee is possibly the secret to success for me when the cigarette craving hits, that would be huge. In the mornings I could drink regular with my e-cig if the cigarette urge strikes...decaf in the evenings.

I want to beat the cigarette habit this time really bad. The one thing I've noticed the past 5 days is that, unlike the other nicotine products I've tried, vaping is "fun". I quit smoking indoors probably 35 years ago (college), having moved my habit outdoors, and this week is the first time I've been able to blow smoke rings since those days as I sit here in my quiet, breezeless home office enjoying my e-cig :)

I've heard many say it's difficult to quit cigarettes because they enjoy smoking. I'm kind of wondering if enjoying vaping might be a factor for some who have been successful in replacing their cigarette habit with e-cigs.

Great forum. Great members. I haven't participated in a forum in many years. That used to be an addiction too but I got over it (or did I?) hehe..."relapse" ;)

My best to all of you!

I've tried to quit more times than I can count, at least 3 or 4 dozen. Most have been absolute failures (usually 1 to 4 hours, sometimes up to five days). But there were three exceptions that have always puzzled me.

The first is the most interesting. I had been trying to quit for a couple of years (I was in my early 20s). All attempts were awful. But one night I was out, and I just decided to quit. Someone had made a comment about the smell of smoke, and I guess something clicked. I put out a smoke, mid-smoke, and didn't smoke again for almost a year (yeah, I'm an idiot).

The first 3 days were hard, but not that bad. The next 2 weeks were okay, and after 2 weeks I didn't even think of cigs. In fact, I had a half pack of cigarettes in my glove compartment the entire year, and was never even tempted. I also never used any medication or nicotine replacement of any kind (never even occurred to me, really).

For years I have been trying to put my finger on what was different, and why it happened. All other attempts were the exact opposite, to say the least.

This has happened to me twice since, in minor ways, where I have had to quit for a week or so (one a family reunion that I was NOT going to smoke at, and the other a long business trip). They were an absolute breeze, for a week it was like I had never smoked. The moment these two events finished, I suddenly was back to "give-me-cigarette-now" mode. Other similar attempts to temporarily quit were agonizing and unsuccessful, but not these two.

I have no idea why this happened, but I have some ideas. They stem from one thing: in the "easy" quits, all of the pain, the insatiable "thirst", the anxiety, were still there. But for some reason, it is as if my mind interpreted them not as bad, but rather good sensations. Whereas in my bad quits, the craving would increase exponentially, in the good quits, the craving would immediately lead to a relatively good feeling, and would morph into a desire for something else (food, soda, etc.), while the thought of a cig would go from desirable to disgusting -- like it would physically hurt to smoke.

BTW, I'm in no way saying the cravings were all in my head. It was just that it seemed like my brains sub-conscious interpretations of those cravings were fundamentally different.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
For me, the matter is I love smoking. I love smoking. I just don't want to continue smoking cigarettes. My friend told me about this. I've smoked for 35 years and never tried to quit cause I didn't want to. After smoking a pack a day for over 30 years, I can still smoke, only it's vapor, LOL. I've had my e-cig for 3 days and in the last 2 daYs I have cut to a half a pack and not even noticed. So I look at this as having my cake and eating it too. Now how often does that happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread