The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How often do you re wrap your coils?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by TampaToker69, Jun 24, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. TampaToker69

TampaToker69 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just ordered AGA T2 and curious how long the coils will last before rebuilding. I don't mind putting in the effort to reap the rewards, just curious, that's all....

2. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    when i pop em or break them either pulling a wick or dry firing to clean. but usually i get a few weeks out of them no problem

3. manji1

manji1 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 11, 2013
    Dayton OH
    I like to tinker with stuff, so I re wrap about once a week on my most frequently used atomizers. Thats way more often than is necessary but wire is cheap and the more you do it the better you get at it.

4. curt9733

curt9733 Full Member Verified Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Sometimes I go nuts with coils. I too am a tinkerer, and since I have 6 different types of wire, I am always thinking "How would it work with this wire wrapped this many times at this tightness, and is it better wrapped clockwise or counter-clockwise and how would it be with the wire on the outside of the screw or the inside?" etc. I think I may have a problem.

These manic phases go on for about a week, and I build a coil every other day until it stops.
    But at least I quit drinking and smoking:censored:. And cigarettes too.

5. DantesInferno

DantesInferno Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Central Illinois
    I'm typically rewrap mine about every 4 days just to keep it fresh. Wick and wire are cheap so why not. Currently using a cyclone rda with 1mm silica 4 wraps of 32 AWG to get a 1.5ohm coil 99% of the time.

Sent from Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk.

6. TampaToker69

7. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Somewhere out there
    I make a new coil whenever I get ultra bored or just feel like tinkering. I have never had a coil on an RBA long enough to fail. The longest I have gone without putting on a new one is a few weeks :)

8. dhomes

dhomes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2012
    Austin, TX
    weekly
    every two or three wick I also change my wicks

but both just out of my need to tinkering and experimenting, not out of need

Unless I use some sweet, dark, high VG juice, those tend to gulp the coils more than I like so FOR MY TASTE, I'm force to unroll and clean the wick (but still use the same mesh) & recoil

9. madicen

madicen Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Minglewood
    It really depends. I tend to put aside some time on Saturday morning to tinker with coils. I use a wide variety of RDA/RBAs and depending on frequency of use, and what juice used, some coils could last months, and some could last as little as a week.

I vape mostly NET tobaccos and a very coffee (cappuccino) blends and most will last me a good deal of time, but there are two in particular that have always given me grief. The two are both from The Plume Room, Candied Cavendish and Burley and Candy. They coils on those two flavors, in both RDA and RBAs, will "gunk up" on me horribly after just about a week of use. Now I tend to use them fairly heavy in my rotation as they are two of my favs, but they develop a blackened gunk like no other after only about 6-7 days use. I have been beating my head trying to figure out the issue. What I've come up with is that it must be a combination of the sweetener Andrea uses, combined with being NETs, as no other flavors from The Plume Room do this to my rigs. But I digress :)

I dont think there is a simple answer to your question, other than it depends on many factors...rebuild them when you feel you need too.

10. dhomes

Mar 20, 2012
    Austin, TX
    remember also that there is a break-in period for any coil & wick, so it gets better after half-to-a-full-day period (just in case you feel like the recoiling again expecting immediate perfect performance)

so long as your coils glow even and there are no hotspots / metallic taste / shorts you have a working coil that will get better

11. jfountain2

jfountain2 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    United States
    I've re-wrapped mine 4 times this month. Of course each re-wrap was right after receiving vapemail and getting some new wire or wicking material that I just had to try.... currently I am using kanthal ribbon wire wrapped around 3/32" SS 7x7 rope with XS116 or 400 mesh.... I have two going right now trying to decide which I like better. With the way the ribbon wire and SS rope is wicking I think it may be a long time before I redo anything again.

12. TampaToker69

13. dhomes

Mar 20, 2012
    Austin, TX
  14. Heavyrocker

Heavyrocker Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 14, 2012
    Toronto,Canada
    Ive had 3 Nova tanks wrapped with mesh for months,and a AGA for weeks,no problems

15. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I own a Terminator C and I usually recoil when my ohms are all over the place (sign the NR has blown). As I get better it doesn't happen as often, so 3 coils last me a full month, sometimes less. They're not my only vape, but my vape of choice at home. I build 1.5 to 1.9 ohm coils to rock them on my VW. When changing flavors I dissasemble, wash and dry burn, and keep on working great.

16. d3mon

d3mon Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    san antonio
    i've yet to have a coil "pop" on me. i tend to re-coil about once a week...now i'm pushing for once every other.

17. Heavyrocker

Heavyrocker Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 14, 2012
    Toronto,Canada
    I change flavors all the time with the AGA,i just flush out thetank with water and needle bottle,why bother taking it apart?

18. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    ive got a genny thats been running on the same wick and coil since last november 0_o ive thought about rebuilding it many man ytimes, but it just keeps pumping out flavorful vapor. if it aint broke, chances are i wont fix it.

my other genny has been set up since around january. and the third one has been set up for a couple months max.

i am finding that SS mesh lasts f o r e v e r. all i do is dry burn the coil, wick installed, until its clean enough to start getting good flavor again.

the drippers are another story. although my cotton wicks on my A7 appeared soaked, i would always accidentally burn them, so those needed to get rebuilt constantly until i finally gave up on cotton (but now that im into micro coils, i will give cotton a second chance).

ive got a dream dripper (bt801) that i just cant seem to get it to perform correctly...so ive rebuilt that one many times.

the phoenix dripper has a ss wick so i expect that one to last a very long time.

the octo beleive it or not has still got the stock wick in it. i think it performs great so i kept it. i do dry burn tha tone often becasue i use a very dark juice on that one though.

so, as you can tell, im not much of a tinkerer. well i am in so much that i want to tailor my vaping experience, but i dont particularly enjoy rebuilding coils and wicks. i wish i did, that way i could be blowing huge clouds from 2 second draws. id really like to do that but i feel it may be out of my grasp.

19. BatKing

BatKing Full Member

Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    If u setup the AGA correctly and satisfied your personal needs. Then it will last u for weeks. My setup has been up for last whole month and still don't feel the need to re-coil. This is my daily office use tank and going through at least 3 ml juice a day.

Depending on the juice, you might have gunk built up on the coil. Juice such as CopperCreek house blend will dirty my coil in the 1st 5 ml juices. and juice like theplumeroom Chia Tea. it just don't build up any gunk at all. I have been using this juice for last 2 weeks in my AGA-T. the juice just don't change color at all. I didn't even empty or vape to last drop for the last 2 weeks. Just keep filling when it only has 1/4 tank. Same coil same setup here compare to the CopperCreek house blend. but the juice just keep clean.

20. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Washing and dry burning is an old habit, and as a matter of fact it burns better afterwards. Some people say that dryburning also might help blow the NR connection faster, but fact is that I've found it fused to the Kanthal. Sometimes before recoiling, I make sure the positive at the bottom is fully tightened, so dissasembling it for washing is a double good thing. Don't lose the negative though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.