how often you fiddle siyh regulated mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
i'm finding that i need to fiddle with regulated mod every time i vape. with mech mod, i set the coil to ohm that i like, make sure the battery will handle it, and everything is good. with regulated mod.. afc, wattage, vape.. readjust.. do it again.. repeat.. it's a pain. why?

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
A good regulated mod will stay set exactly where you set it.
If your coils are lackluster, old, or failing, they will not stay at a constant ohms, causing you to make changes often.
IF you are in the habit of tweaking your coils when using a mech, you probably do the same with a regulated and that messes things up.

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
I have the sweet spot for a given atty on a regulated mod. Hits the same each time. Even when I rebuild that atty, I'll build it the same and will hit the same. The only adjustments I make is when I put on a new atty, or want to try a different build. No problems with any of that. I love my mechs too, but to make adjustments to one of those means altering the coils, meaning rebuild it again. Mechs hit great on the outset, but start dropping down as the battery goes down.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
with a regulated mod, it is a set it and forget it... once you find the sweet spot. like the others have said, either your mod is not functioning right, or you're being twitchy lol. they are meant to give you a steady vape, unlike the mechs. the only time i fiddle with mine, is when i change coils and there's a variance... like i built one for .3 and then next one is .5(different juices), i'm consistant with my builds.

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
i must be doing something wrong. the mod is rx200. latest firmware. i took out my coils and built new ones. made sure they are heating up from the center out and both side is heating up evenly. wicked with japanese organic cotton, and made sure it's not too tight or loose. the vape was great. i'm waiting to see if this is solving the issue. been just having hard time getting adjusted to regulated mod. may be i built the coils sloppy or didn't wick right.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
Check the screws on your atty, you may have a screw that's backed out some.
Check the resistance and make sure its not changing when ya fire it. No comfort puppies or hot chocolate here....now move along!
THE MECH WHISPERER

so do chocolate lab puppies qualify as comfort chocolate and puppies?

a loose screw would account for the issues more than anything, that's a good thing to check

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
i must be doing something wrong. the mod is rx200. latest firmware. i took out my coils and built new ones. made sure they are heating up from the center out and both side is heating up evenly. wicked with japanese organic cotton, and made sure it's not too tight or loose. the vape was great. i'm waiting to see if this is solving the issue. been just having hard time getting adjusted to regulated mod. may be i built the coils sloppy or didn't wick right.

I vaped mech mods for a few years before making the switch to regulated. I was really used to them. When I first switched I was also adjusting often. One day I thought 'why am I doing this?' and just left it alone. It was fine.

Make sure all is well in the atty (you know what you're doing, just do it right), set it for a power level you like, pretend it's not adjustable for a couple of days and just vape it. The mind is a mysterious thing :cry:

:)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
... and you have to admit, a mech is a lot more forgiving than something with a chip... computers are evulllll!

Thanks, I needed a good laugh @Cheallaigh
yes3.gif

biggrin.gif

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
all was fine until after the dinner. harsh on exhale again. the screws are tight. ohm is not fluctuating. 0.31ohm all day. after reading the forum, read a post on the position of the coil to the air intake. if the coil is high, more strong vape. lower than the air hole, less powerful. the idea is, if the air comes in below the coil and take up the full vapor it will be harder hit. lower the coil little. now it's better again. been vaping 3mg nic for 2 yrs so it's not that. most of the juice are 70/30 vg/pg. not pg thing. now my throat is raw, i think i'll give it a break. funny thing is, cool vape is harsh on inhale. but it has little to do with cool vape on exhale it seems.. exhale seems to be harsh either way. same atty on fresh battery in a mech mod.. smooth.. frustrating. but i must be a masochist.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
all was fine until after the dinner. harsh on exhale again. the screws are tight. ohm is not fluctuating. 0.31ohm all day. after reading the forum, read a post on the position of the coil to the air intake. if the coil is high, more strong vape. lower than the air hole, less powerful. the idea is, if the air comes in below the coil and take up the full vapor it will be harder hit. lower the coil little. now it's better again. been vaping 3mg nic for 2 yrs so it's not that. most of the juice are 70/30 vg/pg. not pg thing. now my throat is raw, i think i'll give it a break. funny thing is, cool vape is harsh on inhale. but it has little to do with cool vape on exhale it seems.. exhale seems to be harsh either way. same atty on fresh battery in a mech mod.. smooth.. frustrating. but i must be a masochist.

are you sure you're not dry hitting? that's the only time i've seriously had the harsh vape... usually happens just before a coil blows up on me.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

0.31 ohms on a mech with a fresh battery will give you around 45 watts (assuming your batts are not worn out ... if they are worn out (high internal resistance) it could be way lower than that). How tired are the batteries you're using on the mech?

Assuming your batts are good, if you set 45 watts on the regulated mod and that atty with the same build doesn't vape the same as on the mech, the mod is probably running higher than it's set. Lower the watts until the vape is the same and it should stay pretty much the same. If it doesn't the only thing left is a problem with the mod.

The other thing that's different in the two setups is the 510 connection, but if the regulated mod has a bad 510 I would think you would be losing power, not getting a harsh vape.

Hope it works out for you!

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
are you sure you're not dry hitting? that's the only time i've seriously had the harsh vape... usually happens just before a coil blows up on me.
nope, not dry hitting. i make sure the wick is saturated. it's not cotton/coil burn either. the cotton is wicked just so it's not too packed or too loose. i pulled on the atty long enough to notice that god awful taste. it's only on the exhale. inhale is fine. it feels like someone's scraping the heck out of the back of my throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread