How tell if your coils are duds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Hi all,

I've recently decided to buy a Kanger Subtank Mini to test the waters out and see how it compares to the Aspire Atlantis. Unfortunately, my coils are only lasting me 6 hours at the most before the cotton is charred black and everything tastes burnt. I've heard about coils that are coming back as duds. What is a good way to tell if the coils I've bought are duds?

Thanks in advance!

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Hi all,

I've recently decided to buy a Kanger Subtank Mini to test the waters out and see how it compares to the Aspire Atlantis. Unfortunately, my coils are only lasting me 6 hours at the most before the cotton is charred black and everything tastes burnt. I've heard about coils that are coming back as duds. What is a good way to tell if the coils I've bought are duds?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure what you mean about duds. You can go on Kangers site & check to see if the coils you bought are authentic.

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Need more info. What device are you using, what is the power you are set at, what airflow are you using, which coil (.5 or 1.2)?

Sorry I forgot to mention that. Right now, I'm using an IPV 2 mini with the .5 coils at 20 watts. Occasionally I'll try and bump it up to 30 watts but obviously that just speeds up the process of burning out the coils. But I literally just put in another coil and started it at 20 watts and it burned out 4 hits later. I'm using the most wide open airflow.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
What's the PG/VG ratio of the juice you're using? I've found that I tend to get dry hits in the Subtank with anything higher than 70VG. Assuming you're properly priming your coils before vaping on them, one other thing you can try is gently pushing a needle through the exposed cotton on the side of your coils. I've found this opens up the wicking a bit and it seems to help when I use thicker juices.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Sorry I forgot to mention that. Right now, I'm using an IPV 2 mini with the .5 coils at 20 watts. Occasionally I'll try and bump it up to 30 watts but obviously that just speeds up the process of burning out the coils. But I literally just put in another coil and started it at 20 watts and it burned out 4 hits later. I'm using the most wide open airflow.
are these the coils that came with the subtank or other ones? I ask because sometimes you do get a bad batch. Do you have any more coils left? If so, do you mind taking a picture and posting it?

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Flavored or unflavored ? Some of my flavors don't hold up to heat for more than a hour. Running at .5 ohm heats up fast. Especially at 30 watts.

Flavored. Can't do unflavored.

What @Jimi D. said. Are you priming your coils before you start vaping?

I prime all of my coils before vaping and I let it sit for around 10 minutes.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
Just my two nickles and penny....I'm running an IPV mini v2 with Subtank Mini (.5 ohm) coil for the last 3 days...using Bryce's Blend juice....I think the e-juice is a 50/50 or 60/40 vg/pg base. I'll get dry hits if I run it too high. So maybe max 20 watts at the most. I have to give it so often primer puffs. On my other mod, I'm running a Lemo 1 (1.1 ohm) coil at higher watts, it just wicks better even with 70/30 vg/pg e-juice.

I like the Kanger Subtank mini for what it is, convenience....but it doesn't wick fast enough for higher wattage and probably thicker juices.

Did you prime your subtank coils with juice before using it. I primed it took a couple primer puffs and let it set for few minutes before I use mine.
* Edit: sorry, just saw you did that.

Edward Aiz

Apr 14, 2015
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Where are you purchasing your coils? I have the Kanger Subtank Mini (I used the coil that came with the product over a course of a few weeks then used the build deck, best way to go with this atty). I used to get my coils from Sweet Vapes online, a very dependable online shop.

So first I like to know where you're getting your coils from because the coils could very well be duds or not built correctly to specs.

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Where are you purchasing your coils? I have the Kanger Subtank Mini (I used the coil that came with the product over a course of a few weeks then used the build deck, best way to go with this atty). I used to get my coils from Sweet Vapes online, a very dependable online shop.

So first I like to know where you're getting your coils from because the coils could very well be duds or not built correctly to specs.

I get mine from the vape shop I work for in the DFW metroplex. I've never had an issue with buying coils from here until now. I never buy online for this reason.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
If your IPV is reading the coils as the .5Ω they should be, then the likelihood they have all been duds is slim. The IPV Mini 2's volt range is from 3.6v to 8.5v, and I do not believe it has step down. So At 20 watts you are actually firing 26 watts using the .5Ω coil. That said, even 26 watts (3.6v) shouldn't be burning your wicks

I have gone through about 14 factory OCC's, both the .5Ω and 1.2Ω with the red and white insulators, and they all worked great, never burnt one out. I used them at 30 watts with the .5Ω and 22 watts with the 1.2Ω with the airflow wide open with 65vg/35pg juice.

Weak puffs is all I can think of, but you came from an Atlantis, so sub-ohm vaping isn't new to you. Try bumping the IPV up to 26 watts so the device isn't trying to compensate. Maybe the method it is using when trying to fire lower than it is designed for is causing the issue.

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
If your IPV is reading the coils as the .5Ω they should be, then the likelihood they have all been duds is slim. The IPV Mini 2's volt range is from 3.6v to 8.5v, and I do not believe it has step down. So At 20 watts you are actually firing 26 watts using the .5Ω coil. That said, even 26 watts (3.6v) shouldn't be burning your wicks

I have gone through about 14 factory OCC's, both the .5Ω and 1.2Ω with the red and white insulators, and they all worked great, never burnt one out. I used them at 30 watts with the .5Ω and 22 watts with the 1.2Ω with the airflow wide open with 65vg/35pg juice.

Weak puffs is all I can think of, but you came from an Atlantis, so sub-ohm vaping isn't new to you. Try bumping the IPV up to 26 watts so the device isn't trying to compensate. Maybe the method it is using when trying to fire lower than it is designed for is causing the issue.

Doing this worked for about 10 minutes before the coil just burned out entirely again. Ugh...was convinced this was the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread