Replacement Atomizer Dud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cstober

Moved On
Jan 22, 2018
Bear with me. This is difficult to explain because (as far as I know) there is no term for this issue.

Typically my replacement atomizers (for aspire cleito, 0.2ohm) will last 2-3 weeks. Occasionally I will get one that lasts 4 days before it becomes spotty. This is what I call it, or a dud.

I wouldn't refer to it as expired. It's not necessarily burnt, it looks clean. At the worst, it's slightly off-white in color. There is no debris blocking the air flow. Despite it's healthy looks, it performs poorly.

How so? I'll explain it as best as I can:
- Sometimes after waiting 30min or longer: the first (and sometimes second) puff is a perfect puff, with great flavor and throat hit.
- Sometimes the first moments of firing, you can feel the crackling of the juice but then it goes quiet, as if it has gone dry which will give you half a burnt taste.
- And, despite all order, sometimes I will get purely burnt puffs, even after waiting 30 minutes. And sometimes I will get another great puff after not waiting at all.

This is the definition of spotty, right?

To me, it seems as if the cotton is not absorbing the juice quickly enough (or often times at all). I prime it as much as possible. I've tried different types of juice. I've inspected this atomizer a few times, I've tried dry-cleaning it. For a coil that looks and smells new, I don't understand why it's not properly absorbing and vaporizing juice.

I vape at about 40w with a Geekvape Aegis. I've had this tank for a long time. I've had a few duds but I know the normal pattern of my atomizers. 2 weeks is the earliest an atomizer will start to look blackened and taste burnt.

It's strange to me because I can't come up with a reasonable explanation. Normally I'd throw it out and be happy but I'm currently working a 16 hour shift. Lol I didn't even think to bring a replacement because it's only been 4 days!

So...have you experienced this? Is there a term for this? Is there a cause/solution?

I'm very curious. Thanks!

Edit: as I'm writing this, out of nowhere, it starts hitting like a champ... For a few puffs, then back to the "half, in&out" crackling sound. Spotty indeed!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I think you’re burning your coils. Some juices take longer to seep in than others. If this was happening to me my first move would be to quadruple my soak time from 30min to 2 hours or even overnit just to make SURE that I wasn’t burning my coils

He is saying 30 min between uses, not just the initial use. You shouldn't have to wait 2 hours or overnight between puffs, that is just ridiculous. The fact this happens with some coils and not others of the same brand and model coils points to a QC issue. Most likely some of the coils are getting too much wick put in them or are blocking the juice flow somehow. I have never seen that specific tank but it may also be possible that the coil isn't screwed in correctly and that is blocking juice flow. Again I have no idea what those coils look like, but you might be able to use it as a seudo-dripper. Just drop a drop or two down the chimney to wet the coils, take a puff or two and repeat. Beyond that you may be screwed until you can get another coil.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I'm wondering... complete speculation here...

'Dud' coils are a common thing with pre-made atomizers.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that they're not dry burned and 'molded' like we do with RBAs.

I know spaced coils don't need that kind of treatment, but i'm assuming in mass production they're not always properly spaced. Maybe that the coil is uneven or maybe it even has wraps touching eachother.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
It's the same tank, coils and juice that I've been using for the last year or two. Perhaps a "dud's" coils are susceptible to burning?

I'm thinking if they're not spaced correctly you could have hot spots that burn up the cotton in random sections.

Cstober

Moved On
Jan 22, 2018
It doesn't happen often with this brand of tank/coils I use but what really baffles me is that it crackles like normal for a moment but immediately runs dry. As if it cannot stay soaked for more than one second (while the tank is full). I can't imagine why, when I'm running 30-40w.

Lol if this atomizer was caked with black goop, I would understand but it's practically new.

Reactions: Opinionated

Cstober

Moved On
Jan 22, 2018
I'm thinking if they're not spaced correctly you could have hot spots that burn up the cotton in random sections.

Hmm, that makes sense. (even to me, I'm mechanically challenged).

Perhaps when I'm done at work, I'll crack it open and look. I wouldn't exactly know what to look for, unless it's obviously imbalanced.

Right now, 10% of a puff is better than nothing

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
OK I just looked up a pic of those coils, they are vertical coils so if you try to drip it make sure the juice goes down the edge, not the middle of the shaft.

You might also open it up to let the air pressure equalize then try again. If the ambient air pressure changes too much, it can cause either leaking or dry hits (depending on if the pressure increased or decreased). Opening up the juice fill port or removing the top can allow the pressure to equalize.

Also when you put in a fresh coil do you make sure the cotton is thoroughly wet with juice before installing it?

Cstober

Moved On
Jan 22, 2018
OK I just looked up a pic of those coils, they are vertical coils so if you try to drip it make sure the juice goes down the edge, not the middle of the shaft

I have dripped with this tank before but I had to only drop into the side holes because the stem is too narrow. The cotton within the stem is 1/3rd as narrow.

Oddly enough, I removed the glass tube and I've been getting good puffs from it.

If I'm being honest, I don't always pre-soak the atomizer alone. I usually put it all together, fill the glass tank and let it sit for a half hour or so.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have dripped with this tank before but I had to only drop into the side holes because the stem is too narrow. The cotton within the stem is 1/3rd as narrow.

Oddly enough, I removed the glass tube and I've been getting good puffs from it.

If I'm being honest, I don't always pre-soak the atomizer alone. I usually put it all together, fill the glass tank and let it sit for a half hour or so.

So you are vaping with the glass completely off and just wetting the wick manually? Interesting.

I am wondering if sometimes when you skip the priming step if there could be an air pocket getting trapped in the wicking with such a closed in coil that could be causing this. Again this is all pure speculation and guessing.

Cstober

Moved On
Jan 22, 2018
So you are vaping with the glass completely off and just wetting the wick manually? Interesting.

I am wondering if sometimes when you skip the priming step if there could be an air pocket getting trapped in the wicking with such a closed in coil that could be causing this. Again this is all pure speculation and guessing.

Your speculation beats mine lol

I've manually dripped 5 times, different juices and I've had a dozen good puffs.

I'm now just wondering how this glass tube could be blocking juice from soaking the wick, when all it does is submerges it in juice.

I will most definitely prime new coils appropriately now though.

Cstober

Moved On
Jan 22, 2018
Wow...

I want to post my findings, in case someone else has the same trouble.

I'm not certain why but when I have the glass tube attached and filled, the wick dries up immediately. However, when I unscrew the top (as to fill it) and replace it, it goes back to normal. AKA same effect I had with dripping.

I guess that would leave me to believe there's not enough air flow, even though there is little to no restriction when the filled tank is attached.

Letting the wick breathe seems to do the trick, something about this glass tube is disallowing it from soaking or staying soaked.

Edit: but I also have to unscrew the tanks lid every time I want the wick to soak efficiently. If I don't, I'll get a burnt taste on the next puff. -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread