How to: Build the Puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gink

Jan 5, 2013
Oregon
I just used parts I had laying around aside from connectors, boxes, and a horn switch from madvapes. I was a little concerned about the led/resistor combo, but googled up an led/resistor calculator and it told me I needed a 1/8W 60ohm resistor or something weird. So I used the 1/4W 100Ohm resistor I had and so far no problem even though I get higher voltages than the 4.8 I was expecting.

I just started out using what I had stock... a 2.4 901 atomizer... don't love it, and the Phoenix V2 clone, which seems to be 2.0 Ohm. When I rebuild the Phoenix I'll probably build it to right around 3Ohm or whatever fits the average voltage I get from all 4 batts to put me 7-8 watts. For now 3 batts works well enough with 2.0 Ohm.

Last edited:

mikejm

Moved On
Dec 5, 2012
United States
I wasn't sure from your post above, are you using the 3.1 ohm coils in it now? I generally use a 3.0 ohm, and it's fine with all 4 AA's. Warm vape, but not overly so, clouds of vapor everywhere. Congratulations on getting yours going. Welcome to the club :)

I have 3.1 Vivi clearomizers 3.1 ohm on order. I briefly tested it with a 2.4 Kanger. Don't want to burn up the Kanger so I'm waiting on the hr clearomizers. But it did work.

The piece you see protruding from the end is the Gripper extender which is cemented into the unit long with a prewired 510 connector. Other than that and maybe the nice black button, it's a stock Puck.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I can readily see where @2 ohms would be a bit on the harsh side, but I think you'll find @3 ohms is glorious on the 4 AA's. The thing I like MOST about mine, is being able to get replacement parts locally. In fact, I've considered "stockpiling" the parts for 5 of them. That way, even if for some reason in the future we can't order anything on the 'net, I'll still be set virtually FOREVER *nods slyly*

Let us know how you like the 3 ohm when you get them in.

mikejm

Moved On
Dec 5, 2012
United States
Photo_00019.jpg

3 ohms. Vapes much cooler now.

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
I've just created a whole new tutorial on a new design I've done called the Puck II. It is easier to build than my original Puck and more interesting. I lovingly call it my Puck Doomsday Preper eCig Mod :)

This new tutorial gives folks a choice of using two boxes with my old Puck design or One box the Puck II uses. You can also build it with an AAA or an AA box if you like (for even longer lasting power).

It's now live on my website puckecig.com

I call it my Puck Doomsday Preper eCig mod because you can get your batteries at any grocery store and with the new rebuildable tanks I've been using, I can completely build my own coils and wicks as well as get my batteries locally. Total Independence incase the FDA doomsday scenario plays out to not favor us. Be Prepared :ohmy:

tmassey

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
texas
Nice work on the new one, much smaller, like the added batt meter. I have used an altoids tin as the enclosure for a puck mod and BH-341-2A-R: JAMECO RELIAPRO: Batteries. Fits almost like thats what its made for. Though if you used AAA holder I'll bet you could make a puck 2 in this way. Though I personally don't like the idea of usin smaller batteries to make room for a voltmeter, though I thought some might like the idea

Last edited:

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
Nice work on the new one, much smaller, like the added batt meter. I have used an altoids tin as the enclosure for a puck mod and BH-341-2A-R: JAMECO RELIAPRO: Batteries. Fits almost like thats what its made for. Though if you used AAA holder I'll bet you could make a puck 2 in this way. Though I personally don't like the idea of usin smaller batteries to make room for a voltmeter, though I thought some might like the idea

It's just a normal 4AAA box. The voltage monitor is flat and is actually attached to the outside of the case. Doesn't take up any room at all. The nice thing about this my new one is you can use a 4AAA or a 4AA if you like.

funrotor

Dec 9, 2011
Sausalito
After having to rebuild several pucks for my father in law, he kept on dropping them. I thought I should build him a more sturdy puck. Ordered a prewired 510 connector, harbor freight flashlight sale, and lowes. I got 2 $1 flashlights, 3/4" metal hole plug, 3/8x15/16x9/16x5/8 (cut in half) rubber grommets, 1" round furniture tip, 510 connector, 10" of 12 gauge copper wire, and a 5mm led we got the "side x side puck"
image.jpg

The the other end of the black wire goes connected to the metal cap where the 510 connector is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
Howdy Puck,
A couple of your links, the ones to part 5 and 6 of the new Puck II, are not working. These are the ones down the left side, the ones at the bottom of each step. The part 5 link under RECENT POSTS works, but the part 6 I can't seem to bring up from anywhere.

Thanks my friend for a great mod.

Big Mac

Scooterboy333

Feb 21, 2013
Maryland
Hey Puck,
I'm new to vaping (about 1 month) and I read your tutorial on the puck and thought I would give it a try. I am an insufferable tinkerer(which drives my wife nuts!) and I have to say BRAVO! Your instuctions were very easy to follow and I had mine built in about 2 1/2 hours. Now all of my family (which all vape now) want a puck for themselves! Thanks again. I'm gonna try to build a few of the other mods you have in this thread when i get some time. AWESOME JOB PUCK!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread