How to: Build the Puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relayer1974

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
Saint Robert, MO
Whew, I read through the whole thread before posting. Big ups to ThePuck for the awesome inspiration. I started out with a 4AAA puck with the Radio Shack coax connector and loved it. I work with a bunch of electronics nerds so it always started conversations. Then I made a 4AA puck. Here there are, side-by-side:

IMG_3601.JPG

The AA unit has a adapter from V2 Cigs as the 808 connector. They're cheaper than the proper 808 connectors and work just fine. Recently, I got into tanks and large clearomizers, which sit awfully tall on my pucks, especially with a 510 adapter:

IMG_4118.jpg

So I thought about Puck's "Puck II" design and figured I could incorporate something like that into my existing AA puck. Well that I did, using part of a cheap truck stop e-cig charger and an 808-510 adapter because it fit really well into the housing:

IMG_4143.jpg

In the process, I also added the Madvapes voltage display and upgraded to two LEDs positioned next to the tank so they'd illuminate the juice in low light:

IMG_4142.jpg

So there you have it, folks. I'm pretty much out of room on this mod, so I guess I have to build another one. What a hard life. :toast:

Last edited:

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
Howdy Puck,
A couple of your links, the ones to part 5 and 6 of the new Puck II, are not working. These are the ones down the left side, the ones at the bottom of each step. The part 5 link under RECENT POSTS works, but the part 6 I can't seem to bring up from anywhere.

Thanks my friend for a great mod.

Big Mac

I had a couple of the pages go into draft mode for some reason but they are all back up again. Thanks for the heads up :)

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
Hey Puck,
I'm new to vaping (about 1 month) and I read your tutorial on the puck and thought I would give it a try. I am an insufferable tinkerer(which drives my wife nuts!) and I have to say BRAVO! Your instuctions were very easy to follow and I had mine built in about 2 1/2 hours. Now all of my family (which all vape now) want a puck for themselves! Thanks again. I'm gonna try to build a few of the other mods you have in this thread when i get some time. AWESOME JOB PUCK!!!!!

Thanks. I'm glad the tutorials are helping. I am currently working on a new tutorial that I think will become popular and it is still based around NiMHs (I wouldn't have it any other way :) ). I will be releasing it within a week or two. After weeks of prototyping and testing, I've been using my final version for a couple of weeks and am loving it. I think everyone else will love it also so I'm working on the tutorial right now. Keep an eye out for it. It is actually easier to build than my other versions. :)

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
Whew, I read through the whole thread before posting. Big ups to ThePuck for the awesome inspiration. I started out with a 4AAA puck with the Radio Shack coax connector and loved it. I work with a bunch of electronics nerds so it always started conversations. Then I made a 4AA puck. Here there are, side-by-side:

View attachment 218638

The AA unit has a adapter from V2 Cigs as the 808 connector. They're cheaper than the proper 808 connectors and work just fine. Recently, I got into tanks and large clearomizers, which sit awfully tall on my pucks, especially with a 510 adapter:

View attachment 218639

So I thought about Puck's "Puck II" design and figured I could incorporate something like that into my existing AA puck. Well that I did, using part of a cheap truck stop e-cig charger and an 808-510 adapter because it fit really well into the housing:

View attachment 218640

In the process, I also added the Madvapes voltage display and upgraded to two LEDs positioned next to the tank so they'd illuminate the juice in low light:

View attachment 218641

So there you have it, folks. I'm pretty much out of room on this mod, so I guess I have to build another one. What a hard life. :toast:

Nice. I love the lighted tank approach since I'm into lights (and tank fluid levels) :) Keep up the great work. I'm sure you won't stop at "another one". I know I never could. :)

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
I was going to try to use your puck design with my gripper vv internals, replace the button and battery contacts with better ones. I tried to just rig up a battery box with just 3 AA to the gripper battery contacts, the gripper ship turned on, but when I tried to power it it turned off. 3xAA should provide 4.5 volts right? the gripper showed it was only at 3.9 so Im not sure if it was not providing enough power or not. I know its not a matter or too much power as 3x14500 work (much more voltage than the screen shows, just about fried my 1.3 ohm AGA-t at 3.0 volts). Ill try again with the 4xAAA once I go buy some AAA rechargeables and report back if you want.

Relayer1974

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
Saint Robert, MO
3 NiMH batteries will provide 3.6V nominal. Fresh off the charger, you'll probably see something like 4.1V unloaded, which seems to fit with your observed 3.9V. I'm not sure what the voltage drop is at 3.6V and a 1-2 ohm coil, so I can't help you there.

I can vape 2.4 ohm coils without issue on my 4XAA and AAA pucks, but it drains the batteries faster than a 3 or 3.2 ohm coil. Definitely report back!

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Well just go my 4 AAA batteries, hooked up the battery pack to the gripper contacts and power up again. Connected an atty and got the flashing screen again and power off. The battery voltage read 5.1 so plenty of power. Im wondering if its a matter of too much wattage either for the gripper chip to handle or for the batteries to handle (the atty was a 1.3 RDA.) Need to try again after I build a 3ohm coil and see if that will work.

BTW im not trying to derail this thread at all, im really interested in the puck design, but I want to integrate the gripper chip since I have 4 that my wife broke....

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
Yo Puck,

You gonna tease by telling us you're working on a new design and not drop us a hint or even a blurry pic so we can start to make plans, and here I thought you were a nice guy and all......;-)

It's really funny that you all are talking about the gripper board. That's what my new mod is all about. The new Puck "MVP". My New design and tutorial is up on the website. http://puckecig.com/2013/06/introducing-the-new-puck-mvp-tutorial

The Puck "MVP' is modular, variable voltage and can do USB passthough on a lot of devices if you lower the voltage. I've been using for about 2 weeks now and love the thing. I just came on here to do an official post on it and seen ya'll talk'n about the gripper. Madvapes sells the boards and that's what my new mod is all about. Check it out when you get some time.
finished-puck-vmod-6-battery-charge.jpg

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
Well just go my 4 AAA batteries, hooked up the battery pack to the gripper contacts and power up again. Connected an atty and got the flashing screen again and power off. The battery voltage read 5.1 so plenty of power. Im wondering if its a matter of too much wattage either for the gripper chip to handle or for the batteries to handle (the atty was a 1.3 RDA.) Need to try again after I build a 3ohm coil and see if that will work.

BTW im not trying to derail this thread at all, im really interested in the puck design, but I want to integrate the gripper chip since I have 4 that my wife broke....

Yes, 1.3 is way too low for both. Drawing too much power. Use a 3 ohm and you will be happy. That's what my new mod uses and works great with the vv board sold by Madvapes which just happens to be the same Gripper control board.

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com

See my new mod :) It's exactly what you are looking for I believe. Right up your alley :)

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Lol I read your tutorial before I came in here, great tutorial, now i just need to order a usb breakout board. I wonder if I can find one in my stash of old electronics... Old cell phone maybe?

Ill try the higher ohm atty, just recoiled to 2.6 ohms and try that again. Ill be making your MVP in the original puck configuration though.

BTW I did successfully transplant my gripper internals into a snuss tin with an 18650, but I like the idea of using regular rechargables instead.

Thanks Puck!

Edit: I jerry rigged the battery box to the battery contacts on my tester gripper transplant with the 2.4 ohm RDA and its working great.

Oh a couple of notes for your mod, I found you can take a piece of paper and pencil and do a rubbing of the location of the buttons and screen for the cover.

Last edited:

Relayer1974

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
Saint Robert, MO
13%2520-%25201.jpg

Just a quick rundown of the differences between ThePuck's unit and mine... I made clear buttons so the surface mount LEDs could be seen when vaping. I went with the original fire button and mounted it to the cover. I used the USB board, but went with push terminals for the battery connection. I didn't like the idea of having to cannibalize a USB cord or source a male USB connector for every battery pack. The push terminals are made from a 16 pin DIP breadboard riser I cut apart. Lastly, I included an 808D and 510 connector up top so I could use either without an adapter.

I saw a Vamo board online and I want to make it into a puck next! :headbang:

Attachments

• 13 - 1.jpg
    13 - 1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread