How To Clean and Rebuild The Gogo Cartomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohawkx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
arizona
Well I can offer one tip of advise so far - don't wait until you have a whopping 35 cartomizers to clean and rebuild. Sheesh it's taking me awhile, especially this being my first time and all. We are leaving for a long trip soon and I thought it would be good but dang it's taking me awhile. So far, cartos have been soaked, filling has been removed, cartos have been washed (3-5 min each under hot water), filler has been cleaned. Some burned patches for sure but not too bad, and those where on VG juices so it will be good to cut that out and have less filler anyhow.

Now tonight will be dry burns and rinse, tomorrow re-assembly, the next day filling. One thing I noticed - there had been a batch of subpar cartos, silver with gold bottoms. Now I know why, they had no inner filler whatsoever. So some poor person here who kept saying his were leaking, everyone was giving him advise - I wonder if he may have had these duds. I had only used them in tanks and it's a wonder they worked at all. The filler is also scratchier and bumpier. I also noticed that the colored cartomizers have a slightly thinner filler than the original blacks I got back in March. Not saying that's good or bad, just noticing the difference between different batches. Two duds that I had there also had no inner filler (Eric sent me 2 replacements, which is awesome.)

One question before I begin the next steps - for the silver cut cartomizers with no inner filler - can I just put fluval back in and again have no inner cotton layer, if they are going to be used in tanks? I don't have time to order the stuff on Eric's site, we're leaving Sun. Or, can I use just blue foam? Any tips mightily appreciated. I will be sure to post my results!

I've found that the inner cotton wrap is pretty much integral to the proper operation of the carto. The actual wicking occurs when the inner cotton wrap draws the juice from the outer polyfill and directs it down the outside of the centertube directly to the coil. Kind of like a "juice highway". Now that may prove to be different with chopper's tanks as they are constantly being refreshed with new juice from the tank. I've tried fluval without the center wrap and the wicking was OK but spotty. sometimes a dry hit, sometimes a gurgling hit. Fluval packed gocarts seemed to be more consistant in wicking and overall performance when the original inner filler wrap was used. I like the fluval for heavier juices like some of the Backwoods brew mixes. You can pack it thinner and it will wick better that the stock filler. Stock filler seems to be packed for 80/20 juice. You still have to dry burn the coils more often with the thicker juices though.

I never throw the filler away(especially the inner wrap) on a burned out gocart.
Those gold based gocarts were pretty strange, wern't they? I never was able to figure out what the principle of operation was with them. They had a little piece of black plastic inside I don't know what was for and the filler material was totally different that any other gocart.

rshields

Feb 9, 2011
Charleston, SC
Alara asked an interesting question that I have not yet noticed an answer on.

How about using the blue foam (marine canister filters) as a filler replacement? Has anyone tried that? What is differnt about the blue foam vs. the Fluval Water Polishing Pad that might effect its use as a filler replacement?

I have a ton of that blue foam left over from when I used it in cartidge mods on the 3-piece e-cigs. I have about a dozen ECHO cartos ready to clean so I'll probably try the blue foam in a couple of them. But if anyone has already tried it and found it failed, please let me know.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

How about using the blue foam (marine canister filters) as a filler replacement? Has anyone tried that? What is differnt about the blue foam vs. the Fluval Water Polishing Pad that might effect its use as a filler replacement?

I have a ton of that blue foam left over from when I used it in cartidge mods on the 3-piece e-cigs. I have about a dozen ECHO cartos ready to clean so I'll probably try the blue foam in a couple of them. But if anyone has already tried it and found it failed, please let me know.

Slightly OT, but maybe someone here has used an Echo as well? I was told they're no good in the Go-Go cartos though.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

mohawkx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
arizona

That will be very interesting. I personally have never used blue foam as a replacement filler for the gogo or the echo carto but I did read a post early on in April or early May where someone tried it and didn't have particularly good results with it.

sparklewolf

Dec 21, 2011
ireland
I dont know if there are rules here about thread bumping, so sorry if this thread is too old to be brought back up to the main page but I just wanted to say thanks. I had some kanger dual coils which I was loving for vapour production and throat hit, but had that horrible low level taste in the background all the time. Took the filler out, gave it a rinse under the hot tap and put it back in and that taste is now history. Vaping some dekang cherry at the moment and all i taste is cherry, absolutely fantastic.

I havent quite perfected putting the filler back in though.. it's currently kinda covering the hard white tube in the middle of the carto, which I think is what is affecting the draw compared to an unwashed carto.. but it's a small price to pay for a nice tasting vape, and I'm sure I can work on my technique in the future.

thanks alot for the writeup :)

--edit

I decided to try again with the filler after I'd soaked it up with the ejuice as I re-read what you wrote and saw how much easier it was to handle the filler while it was wet. it just slid down the straw perfectly around the white tube in the middle and is now perfect. thanks again, there's 7 kanger cartos I wont have to throw in the bin now

Last edited:

mohawkx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
arizona
Thanks for bringing up the thread again. Lot's of new horizontal carto users always checking in and this is still relevent information. So glad you stuck with the process and got good results. After a year you'll be pleasently surprised at how much money you saved rebuilding your cartos. And yes, I've found that cartos that have been cleaned and dryburned generally have cleaner flavor than new, out of the box cartos.
Thank you for the kind words. Your feedback is what makes the whole thread worthwhile. :)

Last edited:

mohawkx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
arizona
mohawkx did you ever manage to get this process to work on an 808 standard horizontal coil?

and you rock!

another bump

Not yet, but I'm actually in the process right now of ordering some 808 horizontal coil cartos from Carolina Vapes. A fellow vaper tried some and says they have the potential to clean up and rebuild just as easily as the gogo cartos. So I should have something to post soon.

Last edited:

Tetsab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2008
East Sussex, UK
Quick confirmation - I have used Mohawkx's method on both 510 and 808-fitting horizontal coil cartos and it works just fine. You may need a slightly thinner straw for replacing the fillers in order to have them as tightly wrapped as possible, the central air tube is definitely narrower than the one in Echo cartos, can't confirm this for Go-Gos as I still haven't yet succeeded in getting my hands on any over here in the UK. I would love to try them sometime as I have the impression they may well be a better quality product than the Echos are, so if any other visitors here know anywhere in Europe that carries them PLEASE drop me a PM.

I'd also like to thank Mohawkx for sharing his method - very much appreciated. I positively HATE chucking away things which still work perfectly well (just taste horrible) and now I don't have to!

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
As I told mohawkx in PM, the issue I seem to have with Halo and Kanger 808 horizontals is the burnt taste. I dry burn until I get cherry red, and the coil looks brand new. Restuff, make sure the filler is all the way down and snug, and the burnt taste remains.

Even after sitting loaded with juice for a few days, even after adjustments of the stuffing.

The one that I dissected had really pristine coils, but the wick was entirely black and scorched

Perhaps I'm dry burning too many times? Or as mohawkx pointed out, I may have dry burned with ETOH on the coils, I honestly don't remember. I'll try it again and report eventually.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
On that subject, here is a thought. The kanger/gen 2 style 808s also have some kind of gunk holding the air tube in place. Did our dry burns fail because we ended up melting the glue into the coil and wick? It certainly tasted crappy on the order of something that might be explained by melting glue...

charlz have you looked into 'eco glue?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread