How to DIY for Non Water Soluble flavors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Well the good news is that juice is not made of water and it is actually mostly alcohols like PG so just because something is not water soluble does not mean it is not soluble in juice. The bad news is that some flavorings just do not like to mix with PG and some plainly hate mixing with VG, but usually some PGA mixed with that flavoring will help.

I would recommend using more soluble flavorings though if at all possible. Lorann's is a minor player in most DIY mixer's stashes. (There is probably a reason for that...)

ninfreak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2011
burkesville, kentucky
Oh so the large order I made last night with many water soluble flavors is bad?

Ok, regardless, Mint/Menthol flavorings from all the sellers are not water soluble.

Isn't there a way to mitigate the whole problem, my mixing it with ethyl alcohol first and then mixing that wth PG?

yes it mitigates the problem, but most of the flavors that are not water soluble are oil based. many oil based flavors are dangerous to inhale. there are exceptions though and i use a few. do yourself a favor and not use them till you learn more about diy and read the stickies fully, not just the first post!!!!!

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Oh so the large order I made last night with many water soluble flavors is bad?
I'm not sure where this is coming from...

Ok, regardless, Mint/Menthol flavorings from all the sellers are not water soluble.
Right, kinda'... Menthol crystals are usually dissolved in PGA or PG to be used as flavoring.

Isn't there a way to mitigate the whole problem, my mixing it with ethyl alcohol first and then mixing that wth PG?
That's what I said. PGA means Pure Grain Alcohol, or ethanol, aka: ethyl alcohol. You can hover your cursor over the abbreviations and meanings will popup.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Another issue with oils is the lungs have a harder time expelling them. In large enough amounts this can lead to a particular type of pneumonia. But there have been no reports I am aware of as yet of anyone vaping getting this. On the other hand, it generally takes so little oil to strongly flavor a juice (mints especially) that it is probably a moot issue. A mint juice I used to buy from Vermont Vaper had about 2 drops of mint oil per 30 mL of juice, and it was still quite strong.

And some oils, like cinnamon or clove, are actually reactive and corrosive. I personally avoid oils. 100s of great flavors out there without as much risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread