The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Guide to DIY Flavoring

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Nikhil, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. forestgrubs

forestgrubs Full Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Asia

Thanks alot for the info.. I'm starting out on DIY juices and i just wanna know what if I want to make a nicotine free juice? how would i make up for the VG. Because most of the calculators sites i have used seem to show me different ratios. Unless im using them wrong. Advise if you would?

Thank you.

2. tenchi_kioto

tenchi_kioto Full Member

Jul 20, 2013
    powell, tn
    If you have android there are apps that you can use. I have e juice labs installed right now and it let's you do zero nic. I'm sure there may he others as well that's is just one I installed quickly.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  3. AngiBe

AngiBe Vapeaholic Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Indy, IN
    • Like Like x 1
  4. EllifIknow

EllifIknow Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    AngiBe, they are also known as a fume hood or flume closet. Typically used in laboratories for hazardous or toxic fumes and vapors. Definitely over the top for any e-liquid DIYer who is only looking to make small batches.

It's good you're checking up on all the safety for this. The one thing you really need to be careful with is the Nicotine. In concentrated form it is highly poisonous, and must be handled with proper gloves, eye protection and care. You don't want that getting on your skin or body parts at all. Relatively easy to do once you are aware of how to handle it.

Don't let that scare you though, there are many manufacturers who offer more diluted strengths so you don't need to get the 100mg or other high-concentrations to work with.

Personally, I have a large container that I pre-mix the VG, PG, and nicotine in so that I'm only dealing with the concentrated nicotine once every two months or so. Then I just use that base and add flavors as desired to make the ejuice. Shake and enjoy (for a butt-load less $$)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pamawoman

Pamawoman Too Blessed To Stress ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2012
    Orlando
    What part of ejuice contains dialytec or whatever it's called. Is it the flavoring, the nicotine or the pg/VG? I am curious because I try to stay away from those but now that I need to DYI I would like to know which one I need to investigate.

6. BoostAddict

BoostAddict Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 21, 2015
    Virginia
    It's some of the flavoring that contains it. Just avoid the ones that contain it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. EllifIknow

EllifIknow Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Yep, just as bootaddict says, it's in flavorings of some types and manufacturers. There are some manufacturing companies that offer two types of the same flavor (like caramel); one with the diaci-stuff and one without. The one with it will pretty much always taste better, but can potentially be far worse for you.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Telmos

Telmos Senior Member

May 11, 2016
    Is there a similar list anywhere for liquidbarn flavors and ingredients?

9. GrouchyOldGuy

GrouchyOldGuy Full Member

May 21, 2016
    Lakeland, Fl USA
    @Telmos I just checked their site and if you click on a flavor and then the Flavor data sheet you can see if it contains Diacetyl, Acetoin, or Acetyl Propionyl. Hope that helps

• Like Like x 1
  10. Telmos

Telmos Senior Member

May 11, 2016
    Yes, I did check that area and found the data sheet. However, besides those three side components, isn't there other things to look out for like different food colorings, alcohols, and other components?

11. psyc63

psyc63 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    NewYork
    @AngiBe close the blinds. Just let me know what you need in the other place or pm me.

12. GrouchyOldGuy

GrouchyOldGuy Full Member

May 21, 2016
    Lakeland, Fl USA
    @Telmos I'm rather new at this also, so take this FWIW. If it contains food coloring, I stay away from it. Also if it is alcohol based I think it just requires that you let it breathe after mixing. (Cap off to allow alcohol to evaporate. I assume this is safe as some people even using PGA to thin out the VG). I could be totally wrong on that but that's what my understanding is from quite a bit of reading. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mactavish

Mactavish Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    Just getting into DIY here. I want to keep it real simple at first so I can learn.

Wondering what flavor ADDITIVE the more experienced mixers here use to get that creamy buttery flavor? The one that makes the commercial ones taste creamy and buttery?

I know about the bad BUTTER type ones, (popcorn lung etc.). From what I've read online by some of the "expert" mixers there is no direct replacement in some recipes for those BAD ones, but they are still available. In my case I'm not too concerned to use those in small amounts if that is really true.

14. EllifIknow

EllifIknow Full Member

Jul 18, 2015

Hiya Mactavish,
    First things first, Diacetyl is the chemical additive you want to avoid. That was the root cause of the 'popcorn lung' in the artificial butter, and also many other flavors (check caramel, and others). You'll want to find flavor companies that disclose all of the ingredients for their products. For this reason I have solely been using the Flavor Apprentice. Best juice flavors I've found, but others have mix matched to suit their taste, so experiment around as you please.

The smoothest additive I've found is Bavarian Creme. Two others I frequently use are: sweetener, and sweet cream. The last two add effect to somewhat dull sharp flavors and smooth them, but do not have the creaminess like bavarian creme/cream/whatever it is.

I have seen some using whipping creme and similar things for that effect as well.

That's all for now. I'm sure you know what you like taste-wise, so read up on the companies and get some in the mail!

Top three flavor producers around here that I've seen are:
    -The Flavor Apprentice
    -Capellas
    -Flavor Art

There are plenty more, but I will adamantly say stay the heck away from Loranns junk...

Happy vapin'!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Mactavish

Mactavish Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. jenbot

jenbot Full Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Austin, Tx
    oh my gurrrrd I spent hours looking for this thread. I had never seen it before, but I knew it just HAD to exist... and here it was the whole time. Thank you for this :D

• Like Like x 2
  17. Debbie Lee

Debbie Lee Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2009
    Burbank Ca.
    haha yay so cool. I am so glad I am here thanks to sugar and spice for leading the way. whoooo

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I found you. Really need your own thread so that more members can join in. Not that there is anything wrong with this thread but it is dediciated to flavors not specific nic instruction.

19. Debbie Lee

Debbie Lee Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2009
    Burbank Ca.
    Lol it has been a long time since I have been in here and I looked to start a thread and swear I couldn't find it. still cant

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    pmed you. Look in your inbox.
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.