How to Fix Stuff

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Yeah, something is amiss. Seems you're file sharpening OK. Bar level would be my first suspicion. It tilts the blade and all the cutting action takes place on one point. It stresses it out quickly and you'll be down to saw dust pretty fast.

I will check that because I am getting good at the sharpening, just so perfect when I start, chips of a great size and near effortless cutting. I can let the weight of the saw do almost all of the work, then ... I never thought of the rails being uneven, that could explain the "hot" bar - it oils well, I check it every time I start work.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Remember to clean your air filter often. Chainsaws run like crap with dirty air filters and they clog up quickly. Clean it every 5-10 hours of usage.

Another good suggestion, I'll vac it out this morning. It probably begins to fill up given the dust rather than chips coming out the rear.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Chain sharpened so that each cutter will drag noticeably on my finger print, air filter very filthy but it is no more, bar is even (Mrs CMD is at the store so I had free reign). Flipped the bar and put it all back together. I think the "mushy" Ash wood must be very hard on a chain, a few light file swipes more frequently. The new files are nice. The first pass or two was a little difficult and then it smoothed out, you know the chain was dull when that happens.
I'll try it tomorrow, got a doctor's appointment this afternoon, it is always a dread.

Reactions: Bronze

gnees

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Zephyrhills Fl.
And don't know how that spring would get dirty.
It wasn't from cooking grease. I think my wife used the stove 3 or 4 times in the last 3 years here.

And there will not be a next time. The house is on the market and the fridge is staying with the house.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
It wasn't from cooking grease. I think my wife used the stove 3 or 4 times in the last 3 years here.

And there will not be a next time. The house is on the market and the fridge is staying with the house.
Reminds me of my buddy's dad. A knob came off on his car radio so he sold the car and got a new one. :)

Reactions: gnees

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Reminds me of my buddy's dad. A knob came off on his car radio so he sold the car and got a new one. :)

I used to trade the car in every time I had the car in for repairs. Had to stop looking at new cars while the work was being done. lol

Reactions: gnees

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I'll tell ya, fixing stuff around the house is often much easier than electronics. Or, maybe it's just me.

My speakers died after the recent Win10 update and I put several frustrating hours watching videos and reading websites. And freaking Google search results!! LoL.

Just needed a driver updated but does windows update have it, noooo. Does using Win10 troubleshooting find it, noooooo. Was it impossible to find on the manufacturer website? Absolutely.

Setting up and playing with the Samsung tablet I just got for the wife was much more fun. Android has come a long way, so I won't get an iPhone yet but really starting to think about ditching windows for a Mac lately.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I'll tell ya, fixing stuff around the house is often much easier than electronics. Or, maybe it's just me.

My speakers died after the recent Win10 update and I put several frustrating hours watching videos and reading websites. And freaking Google search results!! LoL.

Just needed a driver updated but does windows update have it, noooo. Does using Win10 troubleshooting find it, noooooo. Was it impossible to find on the manufacturer website? Absolutely.

Setting up and playing with the Samsung tablet I just got for the wife was much more fun. Android has come a long way, so I won't get an iPhone yet but really starting to think about ditching windows for a Mac lately.
    I think @CMD-Ky might have some ideas.

Reactions: r77r7r

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I think @CMD-Ky might have some ideas.

Unless you have a program that you cannot do without, Linux Mint worked fine for me from the start. I added FireFox and Thunderbird (portable to save wear on the the Solid State Disk). Libre Office works as well as Microsoft Office, at least for the things I need it to do, spreadsheets and word processing.

I have never used any Apple stuff but my daughter does and she likes it quite well.

I dual boot Linux and Windows 10 these days because there are a couple programs created by my professional organization that I have to use. There is no Linux equivalent

I have a daily system backup on Windows and if the System Restore fails me after an update I use that. EaseUS ToDo backup. When I get back to where I was with everything working then I manually download the problematic update and try again, never leaving the machine unattended. A second bite of the Apple, so to speak, has always worked for me but you have to have a System Restore point or a system back up.

One Win 10 update ruined a Surface Pro for me, it over heated and was ruined. I bought an Acer to replace it. My problem with repair shops is that I have very confidential files on my disks and I can't let a tech rummage around in the disk. I may start using an external drive for my work files but I fear that other copies may exist on the disk that I don't know about. I think of File History, One Drive and who knows what else Microsoft may have buried in there.

I now assume that my computer is not really mine, it is Microsoft's computer and that faceless entity will let me use it the way that it thinks I should use it.

If your computer manufacturer has a website help site you may be able to enter your model serial number to find all of your most recent drivers. I have a jump drive dedicated to all of the manufacturer's drivers.

Back up after backup - kind of like waiting fro the government to shut down vaping. I hope that I have helped some.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Now that my eyes have glazed over from CMD's post lol. I love Acer's. Sadly when my pc died and I had to get a replacement asap, my kids came home with a pos HP. I hate it with a passion. It does what/when it wants. Every time it updates (daily) it messes something up. I install a printer (Canon, cause I like it) and HP shuts it down, repeatedly. Arggh.

HP only wants you to use their brand and the newest of their brands. My daughter is a programmer and can't stand this thing. She will fix something and same thing happens at next update. Rant over...

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    I don't want to start an Apple vs: Windows vs: Linux war but here's my story. I retired after 45 years in the computer business in 2011. My last position was in management (tech side) responsible for the caring and feeding for a global companies servers (around 1000 running Windows Enterprise variations) and around 20,000 Windows desktops/laptops.

So I had about enough of Microsoft and it's Windows products and bought my first Apple laptop for my retirement days (actually 2, one for my wife also) just to change things up. If you can get past the ridiculously inflated price, I've found the care and feeding much, much less finicky and troublesome compared to Windows. Most everything Apple and 3rd party apps install easily and just work. Updates install rather seamlessly without causing trouble to existing apps and drivers.

In the past 8 years I've probably only had to contact Apple 3 times for something that went wrong during a routine update or major OS update. But you have to remember, it's still a computer and a bunch of s/w so it has its quirks and glitches and still sometimes does what it wants to do and not what you want it to do. It's not foolproof or perfect.

And neither is Apple. We're on our 2nd set of laptops now because when each of the originals was 5+ years old they developed h/w problems and the replacement parts were not longer available. Apple's response was the lifetime of the product was 5 years and since we were beyond that the only option was to trash the old ones and get new ones. :-x

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
    Tip incase you ever need to recharge your car ac. Locate the low pressure valve,,, in my suv its down low blocked by the oil filter,,, for my husband's truck its high right next to the high pressure valve. Here is the tricky part if yours is down low. Put your fist near the low pressure valve, turn your fist sideways if you don't have at least 3 more inches before touching something else, you will need to buy the ac system with the very low profile adapter. And make sure you get one with a long hose. Those hose/ adapter can be a monster to put on if the area is toooo tight

• Useful
    Reactions: 440BB

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Tip incase you ever need to recharge your car ac. Locate the low pressure valve,,, in my suv its down low blocked by the oil filter,,, for my husband's truck its high right next to the high pressure valve. Here is the tricky part if yours is down low. Put your fist near the low pressure valve, turn your fist sideways if you don't have at least 3 more inches before touching something else, you will need to buy the ac system with the very low profile adapter. And make sure you get one with a long hose. Those hose/ adapter can be a monster to put on if the area is toooo tight
    I surrendered with DIY recharging. I'm just not confident it is healthy for my AC system. Those cans measure the low pressure side but not the high pressure side and both are important. Additionally, many of those cans add a sealant in their formula. Those sealants cause as many problems as they solve. It acts like cholesterol. Getting your AC system hooked up to professional manifold gauges that analyzes the entire system is a good PM decision. If it turns out there are issues they have all sorts of diagnostic equipment to find leaks. Boroscopes, dye, sound detection, etc... But I will also add this...there are a lot of crappy AC techs out there. They don't know crap. You have to ask questions to see if they know their stuff. Like what kind of leak detection they have. If they say they don't have boroscopes or sound detection then go elsewhere. Also, they have vacuum pumps to purge your AC system before recharging. Vitally important when recharging an AC system with issues. And if your charge is low then there's a reason for that and suggests there is an issue.

Here, I just dug up a video explaining it better than I can. This guy is a little on the nutty side but he's correct in what he's saying.

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
    I surrendered with DIY recharging. I'm just not confident it is healthy for my AC system. Those cans measure the low pressure side but not the high pressure side and both are important. Additionally, many of those cans add a sealant in their formula. Those sealants cause as many problems as they solve. It acts like cholesterol. Getting your AC system hooked up to professional manifold gauges that analyzes the entire system is a good PM decision. If it turns out there are issues they have all sorts of diagnostic equipment to find leaks. Boroscopes, dye, sound detection, etc... But I will also add this...there are a lot of crappy AC techs out there. They don't know crap. You have to ask questions to see if they know their stuff. Like what kind of leak detection they have. If they say they don't have boroscopes or sound detection then go elsewhere. Also, they have vacuum pumps to purge your AC system before recharging. Vitally important when recharging an AC system with issues. And if your charge is low then there's a reason for that and suggests there is an issue.

Here, I just dug up a video explaining it better than I can. This guy is a little on the nutty side but he's correct in what he's saying.

Scotty,, yea i watch his videos, he too is from Houston. I do most of all my car repair. ( My bmw was likely the easiest because it well laid out,,, to keep cost down we had to shop Amazon-- go figure hahaha). I figure if you need to recharge then you likely have a tiny leak somewhere so I don't mind.

Anyway to each his own,, the ac system is working well now.

Users who are viewing this thread