How to Fix Stuff

76bridget

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Not just any old lysol toilet cleaner.. Get Lysol Black. Follow the instructions; you have to let it sit a while then scrub (some). It works great for me.

@kross8 ACV is acidic, and will weaken the enamel on your teeth-leading to more cavities down the road. Some people pick up stain from it as well.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Not just any old lysol toilet cleaner.. Get Lysol Black. Follow the instructions; you have to let it sit a while then scrub (some). It works great for me.

@kross8 ACV is acidic, and will weaken the enamel on your teeth-leading to more cavities down the road. Some people pick up stain from it as well.
Its just a quick bushing, not a fan of dentist after 1 broke my jaw unsedated

I was told about it by an 'aunt in law' ,, she died @ 93 with all her teeth in great condition after always using acv for years

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Well vinegar works great on mold and most stains so I would use that instead of bleach.
Vinegar is going to be too weak for the job I have but it might be easier on the pump so I can run it longer. My house will smell like a salad.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

Ordered a two pack off Amazon for $10. Cheap enuf to try. I’m Prime so it gets here Monday. I’ll report back.

BTW, it’s critical to run the bleach through the inner bowl ring. Otherwise the mold comes right back. If it is killed inside that rim ring then it stays away for a long time. Best way is with one of those little fountain pumps.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I already chronicled this project on The Big Thread, but perhaps I should mention it here. I just completed a project of outfitting my electrical panel so I could plug my portable generator in it and power my house. No more extension cords. No more being limited to only what I can plug in. It electrifies the entire house. Yes, you are still limited to the capacity of your gen.

I did the work myself. It was not a difficult job but my case was unusual and required a lot more studying because I have a real squirrely power box setup here. The large majority of houses are simple, though. If you’re even halfway handy you can do the job. If not, you can hire an electrician for $300 - $500 to do it for you. If you want advice or direction, let me know and I will be happy to help you.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I've never had trouble with mold in the toilet bowls, but I know it can happen.

I had some hard water buildup I couldn't get off, the lysol black worked like a charm. It's strong smelling wintergreen scent. I hope it works for ya!
Generally, it takes a long time for the mold to rear its ugly head. 10, 15 or more years is not uncommon. But once it shows up it will keep coming back quickly if the mold is not killed on the inner ring. Cant do it from the outside.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Vinegar is going to be too weak for the job I have but it might be easier on the pump so I can run it longer. My house will smell like a salad.

Or Easter.

th

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
Tried the black stuff. No go. Got the easy stuff off but not the major limescale. It’s like new rock formations. Tomorrow I will run vinegar thru the pump all day but I’m pretty certain it will do nothing. New toilet time I’m afraid.
mercuric acid

once and done...

• Agree
Reactions: Jwaterski

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Tried the black stuff. No go. Got the easy stuff off but not the major limescale. It’s like new rock formations. Tomorrow I will run vinegar thru the pump all day but I’m pretty certain it will do nothing. New toilet time I’m afraid.
Get a brush & vinegar,, it will eventually chip off the build up n chunks

Reactions: Bronze

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Folks, I don’t have limescale. I have lime formations. Vinegar, coke, lysol are entirely too weak for this job. Those things work good when the buildup is lighter. Jim is right about the muriatic acid. That’s as heavy as you want to get. It’s past too heavy for me. It’s rather caustic. Even then I’m guessing it will not delime the toilet. There gets to be a time where you say farewell to a toilet. For less than the price of a Provari I can install a new one myself and be done in a couple hours.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Muriatic Acid Safety

The acid should be used under a fume hood or else in a well-ventilated area. Direct contact can cause chemical burns and damage surfaces. Exposure can damage the eyes, skin, and respiratory organs irreversibly.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Muriatic Acid Safety

The acid should be used under a fume hood or else in a well-ventilated area. Direct contact can cause chemical burns and damage surfaces. Exposure can damage the eyes, skin, and respiratory organs irreversibly.
Exactly. Just not worth all the work and risks versus a $150, 22-year old toilet. Muriatic acid is effective for many uses but better left in the outdoors. And got to think what it does to septic systems too. Mine already has advanced signs of corrosion.

Reactions: Katdarling

Users who are viewing this thread