B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Remember when Amazon just sold books?

I remember talking to my dad, looking at options for investment. Amazon came up and he said they were losing money on every sale and would be a lousy investment :rolleyes:

What coulda been :confused:

Great idea for a thread, watching (and researching capacitors for my AC unit :thumb:)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I remember talking to my dad, looking at options for investment. Amazon came up and he said they were losing money on every sale and would be a lousy investment :rolleyes:

What coulda been :confused:

Great idea for a thread, watching (and researching capacitors for my AC unit :thumb:)
Back in the day when losing money was an attractive stock buy. :)

Now on the other hand, a $15-20 capacitor will seem like a jackpot if’n it ever craps out on a 100 degree day. And anyone who lives in your house will think you are a hero. :)

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I really wish this was open to all fixes. I just posted a vape related thing on the Provi thread cause I am too tired and or lazy to go looking for a more specific place to ask about a berserker mini rda clone.

Oh well, I don't have much expertise in the fix it arena unless you have questions about dog showing, bartending, social work or haircuts.:D

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I really wish this was open to all fixes. I just posted a vape related thing on the Provi thread cause I am too tired and or lazy to go looking for a more specific place to ask about a berserker mini rda clone.

Oh well, I don't have much expertise in the fix it arena unless you have questions about dog showing, bartending, social work or haircuts.:D
    How do you fix a yappy dog so it doesn’t yap while remaining inside the lines of being humane?

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I KNOW THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so there is a certain frequency you can load on your radio with speakers and like, it may be slightly different per dog. My husband showed me the other night. We have like 12 yappy dogs next door, and he played it... And it works. You do it for a while, then sort of intermittently, and eventually they shut the hell up.

I'm sorry I don't know the frequency but you can look it up.

Alternately, you can move.
    EDITED

Anna

I miss having an insinkerator. It has been a decade. No lie.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I KNOW THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so there is a certain frequency you can load on your radio with speakers and like, it may be slightly different per dog. My husband showed me the other night. We have like 12 yappy dogs next door, and he played it... And it works. You do it for a while, then sort of intermittently, and eventually they shut the hell up.

Alternately, you can move.
    You misunderstand, Anna. These are MY dogs (well, one of them barks at any perceived encroachments on her domain- like anybody walking down the street in her sight. And our neighbors all have the audacity to take their morning walks while I'm relaxing with my coffee).

If I move, and take my wife, the dogs come with her!

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    It is very hard to train older dogs who have been yapping forever. Take them to a park or other place with lots of people. When they bark, tell them no and give a slight tug on the leash. When they are quiet, give them a treat. Requires lots of patience. I don't try to stop yapping in the house because I want them to alert me.

If the above doesn't work, pick them up quickly and put them in their crate until they get quiet. They won't like it but eventually will associate your telling them no with being crated if they don't obey.

Eta: I recommend a show leash (all in one collar and leash) as it gives more control but is gentle on their neck. If you don't know what I mean, I can take a pic of mine.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Honestly everyone says a bark collar is inhumane. Like, no offense, but I don't think so personally. Our little dog was a barker. He's smart, but he doesn't really enjoy being trained (or at least then, he didn't.)

HE was a MENACE. To everyone around. We shoved a bark collar on him for a week, and he started to shut up. Then we took it off. If he became obnoxious, well, we put the bark collar back on for a few hours.

Eventually, we like just showed it to him and he got the drift. He was no longer a menace, but he could bark if like he really needed to.

I put the bark collar on MYSELF first (it was for a little dog, I wasn't super scared.) I barked. I got shocked. It was frankly no BIGGIE. I could have done it for a while, without serious pain.

So, if you have an intractably barking dog, maybe you should think about the MISERY you cause others, and invest in a collar. If you are reluctant, try that sucker out.

I personally think owners who allow that sort of ridiculous barking behavior (and sure, if a "gentle tug will do it, phenomenal. I sincerely doubt it will if the dog behaves the way you describe) is far worse for the humans and other dogs who like, have to listen to that hot mess.

Our bigger dog needed no bark collar, but we didn't adopt her wild from the desert at age 2. If you can't potty train a dog like that, GOOD LUCK with a "gentle tug on the leash for barking.)

I personally think we did the totally HUMANE thing for everyone and also, the darn dog is fine, happy, healthy he did not develop a "complex" about his bark collar and he will totally bark in distress or if happy to see someone.

He just doesn't loiter outside all night, going "BARK BARK BARK."

You could find the frequency and play it to him on your walks I guess, if you'd like.

Personally I thought the bark collar was so lame I would not even include it in a like, S&M dungeon. It's pretty tame.
    Anna

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Leaving a dog outside at night is a different can of worms. Of course, they will bark.

I would rather use a muzzle than a bark collar but that is just me.

ETA: training requires patience but it can be accomplished. I had an afghan hound with a CD obedience title and if you know afghans, they are the most stubborn and difficult dog to train.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I know how to train things.

I also know when assistive aides (positive and negative) are useful. I don't want to get into a debate, but I was not going to sit out all night for several weeks using behavioral rewards and negative reinforcement to stop the dog barking. I had two jobs and an 8 year old.

I'm quite sure I could have gotten the dog not barking without a bark collar. I'm quite sure it wouldn't have been worth it in the slightest.

Are we going to train all cattle now to stay away from fences, so we can de-electrify them?

Also, there is a similar "no fence" containment system for dogs, where they get shocked if they cross the line. No one ever complains about THOSE.

There are times when an assistive aide can get the job done more peaceably, happily an in a far shorter time.

If bark collars were THAT bad, I'm sure PETA would have gotten rid of them.

Like I said it really REALLY doesn't hurt that much. I tested it.

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    This fixes nothing but it will prevent you from spending some cash or experiencing aggravation. I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, I have now established my bona fides as not the brightest of guys currently above ground. I read on a forum about the power supply on these things being very prone to wire breakage where the cord magnetically attaches to the computer - zero strain relief which is a feature not a bug. I decided that it was not happening to me. I had several different sizes of silicone tubing from my beer brewing days. I took a length about two inches long and slit it length ways. I bought some GO2 Gel by Loctite which has to advantage of remaining somewhat flexible when dry. I shot a modest amount of gel on the cord then slipped the slit silicone tubing over about 1/2 inch of the magnetic piece and the rest over the cord itself. The diameter of the tubing was slightly smaller than the magnet but fit perfectly around the cord. That proved enough strain relief that the cord never bent at an angle sufficient to break the wire. The power cord out lasted the computer.
    I have since used this idea on other things. For example, we have a vacuum cleaner that the lovely Mrs CMD insists on making certain that the cord is wrapped very tightly as it comes out of the handle. Eventually this OCD about loose cords prevents the thing from running. Fixing that cord then periodically gave me something useful to do on rainy days. Same trick, the semi-flexible glue and the tubing prevents strain breakage while keeping the cord sufficiently tightly wrapped.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    This fixes nothing but it will prevent you from spending some cash or experiencing aggravation. I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, I have now established my bona fides as not the brightest of guys currently above ground. I read on a forum about the power supply on these things being very prone to wire breakage where the cord magnetically attaches to the computer - zero strain relief which is a feature not a bug. I decided that it was not happening to me. I had several different sizes of silicone tubing from my beer brewing days. I took a length about two inches long and slit it length ways. I bought some GO2 Gel by Loctite which has to advantage of remaining somewhat flexible when dry. I shot a modest amount of gel on the cord then slipped the slit silicone tubing over about 1/2 inch of the magnetic piece and the rest over the cord itself. The diameter of the tubing was slightly smaller than the magnet but fit perfectly around the cord. That proved enough strain relief that the cord never bent at an angle sufficient to break the wire. The power cord out lasted the computer.
    I have since used this idea on other things. For example, we have a vacuum cleaner that the lovely Mrs CMD insists on making certain that the cord is wrapped very tightly as it comes out of the handle. Eventually this OCD about loose cords prevents the thing from running. Fixing that cord then periodically gave me something useful to do on rainy days. Same trick, the semi-flexible glue and the tubing prevents strain breakage while keeping the cord sufficiently tightly wrapped.
    Would you happen to have a photo to post?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    As you suggest, would work for a lot of things.

I have done that on a few things. After thinking of it, except for the vacuum, it has been more of a preventative. That glue is great, the way it dries is kind of unique. It is kind of like silicone but it is more rigid than silicone but it dries less rigid than most other glues I've used. It takes a while to actually set up completely but, man, is it sticky. Next time I use it, I'll use a Nitrile glove because I like to move glue around with my finger more than other kinds of tools.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I have done that on a few things. After thinking of it, except for the vacuum, it has been more of a preventative. That glue is great, the way it dries is kind of unique. It is kind of like silicone but it is more rigid than silicone but it dries less rigid than most other glues I've used. It takes a while to actually set up completely but, man, is it sticky. Next time I use it, I'll use a Nitrile glove because I like to move glue around with my finger more than other kinds of tools.
    Is this the stuff you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Clea...6333&s=gateway&sprefix=G02+Gel,aps,155&sr=8-3

Reactions: stols001

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY

It is, I found it at a local Lowe's. Now Mr Bezos calls it a fluid which I suppose it is but it is a highly viscous fluid that will not drip or run (sounds like that spray paint Johnny Bench used to advertise "No runs, no drips, no errors").

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    CHANGING A LIGHT BULB IN A RECESSED FIXTURE

Here's one I bet perplexes people. Some recessed fixtures (mostly seen in bathrooms and kitchens) don't have exposed bulbs (floods or spots). Some simply have a round glass that essentially mounts flat against the ceiling and is held in with a frame or escutcheon. The bulb goes out and folks cannot figure out how to change the bulb. Here is a video that shows how. So next time you need to change out one of these bulbs, don't just start yanking and cranking on the thing. Simply grab around the frame and gently pull it down a few inches to access the bulb. The frame is held up by (at least) two wire springs Then simply push it back in place.

BTW, this dude pulled a broken light socket out with pliers. If you have to do the same, please turn the power off at the circuit breaker before you do so. If you don't, there is a very good chance you zap yourself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread