How to Fix Stuff

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
I dd a dry run assembly of the hangers, rail and rollers. The rail goes into the hangers rather tightly. If I paint before I do a final assembly, I am afraid it will get completely scratched up. My thought: wash all exposed parts with vinegar, assemble and paint the exposed hangers, rail and rollers.
Make any sense?
Good Idea!!!

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I dd a dry run assembly of the hangers, rail and rollers. The rail goes into the hangers rather tightly. If I paint before I do a final assembly, I am afraid it will get completely scratched up. My thought: wash all exposed parts with vinegar, assemble and paint the exposed hangers, rail and rollers.
Make any sense?
Not seeing your exact hardware, it's hard to say. But most parts like that are easier to paint correctly before assembly. Doing it after the fact could work well enough. Or maybe pre-paint, and then just touch up after?

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
oh it will work...

its how galvanized piping is painted in industrial buildings.

Good Luck!!!
Perfect timing, as I'm just doing some patching with galvanized on an outbuilding at our camp, prior to painting it [emoji106]

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Absolutely. Except I still have a few that I had and used as roachclips as a teenager. ;)
Used them yesterday, picking dog fur out of my wife's Roomba. Super handy to have.
It's like having a third (or fourth or fifth, or sixth,...) hand.

They wont help you if you ever have to pick a Roomba out of the wife's dog. :)

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Bronze? What, pray tell, do you use those for?
I can't remember or list all the things I've used them for (too numerous) but last night I used it to fix a flashlight. Have one of those flashlights that use an 18650 battery. Last time I pulled the battery out it caught on the spring and it got all bollixed up. I needed a tool that could reach down into the flashlight battery housing that could grip that spring and hold it so I could bend/curl it back into an acceptable position. It's ugly as hell but it works. :) They act as nimble vise grips. I have a couple in my tackle box I used for dehooking toothy fish that swallowed my lure deep in their mouths. Found I use them for all sorts of crap. They're great for reaching and holding stuff.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
It's like having a third (or fourth or fifth, or sixth,...) hand.

They wont help you if you ever have to pick a Roomba out of the wife's dog. :)
True, that.

Brings to mind a Pro Tip for using the Roomba, btw: Make sure there's no dog puke on the floor while Ruby (wife's name for Roomba) does her work. Couple of years ago, we left the house, Ruby woke herself up, started cleaning, found a couple of what were apparently large puddles of puke, and spread it generously all over the first floor carpet and hardwoods, committing suicide. She never worked again. So if you have pets, you might make sure Roomba isn't programmed to come on while you're gone. An example of something you'd never think of until it happens to you.

Gotta say, though, my wife couldn't find anyone to repair it, called iRobot looking for a tech that could work on it. They just sent her a brand new one, even though the other one was several years old. Pretty good CS, you have to admit.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Roombas were evil. My son was in love with them. OMG the early models.... I got so sick of being attacked in the shins.

It was kind of fun to watch it worm its way somewhere and be totally confused about how to get out. I would sometimes help it... But I would let a half hour go by.
Anna

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Roombas were evil. My son was in love with them. OMG the early models.... I got so sick of being attacked in the shins.

It was kind of fun to watch it worm its way somewhere and be totally confused about how to get out. I would sometimes help it... But I would let a half hour go by.
Anna
The shins?? We could never afford the flying Roombas.

• Agree
Reactions: CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
In nine years we have replaced three fan motors at around $300 each. I have been suspicious each time. I watched the video today and I am taking my inside and out side units apart and find the specs of the two capacitors and buy them on Amazon.
Thanks for posting, if this happens again, I'll check the appropriate capacitor and replace if necessary.

CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING (Dedicated to Rose :))

Is there anything worse in your life than when your AC craps out in the middle of summer? Perhaps, but not many. Here’s something you can do that could spare you several days of living in hell and save you big bucks at the same time. AC techs are busy in the summer and when you finally get a hold of one it will be days and big $$ to get him out.

The most common problem for ACs suddenly shutting down is capacitor failure. What is an AC capacitor? In a nutshell it is a soda can sized canister that stores high amounts of power in order to start the major components in your AC (fan and compressor). When the capacitor fails your AC is down. I’m taking a guess here but I’m willing to bet more than half of sudden AC failures is due to blown capacitors.

So what to do? Start by keeping a spare capacitor on hand. Why? Because then when your capacitor goes out (and it will go out before the rest of your AC goes out) you don’t have to take days chasing down a replacement and you can get it up and running quickly. A capacitor costs only about $15 and would be the best $15 you spent if it is 90 degrees outside and you’re dying inside. Check your manual for capacitor specs or take a picture of the label on the capacitor to get the specs. You can order them on Amazon. Or write me with the label photo and I’ll link you to the right one.

Is it hard to change out an AC capacitor? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! It’s actually quite simple and doesn’t take an HVAC Tech or electrician to do it. BTW, a tech will cost you between $250 and $300 to change out a capacitor. However, there are two very important safety precautions you MUST take. If you are unwilling to do these precautions because you think they are unimportant then don't bother fixing your AC. You're nothing but an accident looking for a place to happen. Call the man.
  1. Turn off the power to the unit.
  2. Discharge the capacitor after you have disconnected the power and before you touch the capacitor.
I wont get into the details of how to replace your capacitor. Instead, I will link you to a video which explains it better than I can here. The first 13-14 minutes is all you need to watch. As for diagnosing if your capacitor is shot, usually a visual inspection is all you need. A normally functioning capacitor has a totally flat top on it. When it fails, the top will be domed, bulging, disfigured, charred, or just flat out exploded. Even a slight bulge indicates your capacitor is shot. If that capacitor top is not clean and totally flat then it is highly likely shot. No need for a multimeter.

CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING (Dedicated to Rose :))

Is there anything worse in your life than when your AC craps out in the middle of summer? Perhaps, but not many. Here’s something you can do that could spare you several days of living in hell and save you big bucks at the same time. AC techs are busy in the summer and when you finally get a hold of one it will be days and big $$ to get him out.

The most common problem for ACs suddenly shutting down is capacitor failure. What is an AC capacitor? In a nutshell it is a soda can sized canister that stores high amounts of power in order to start the major components in your AC (fan and compressor). When the capacitor fails your AC is down. I’m taking a guess here but I’m willing to bet more than half of sudden AC failures is due to blown capacitors.

So what to do? Start by keeping a spare capacitor on hand. Why? Because then when your capacitor goes out (and it will go out before the rest of your AC goes out) you don’t have to take days chasing down a replacement and you can get it up and running quickly. A capacitor costs only about $15 and would be the best $15 you spent if it is 90 degrees outside and you’re dying inside. Check your manual for capacitor specs or take a picture of the label on the capacitor to get the specs. You can order them on Amazon. Or write me with the label photo and I’ll link you to the right one.

Is it hard to change out an AC capacitor? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! It’s actually quite simple and doesn’t take an HVAC Tech or electrician to do it. BTW, a tech will cost you between $250 and $300 to change out a capacitor. However, there are two very important safety precautions you MUST take. If you are unwilling to do these precautions because you think they are unimportant then don't bother fixing your AC. You're nothing but an accident looking for a place to happen. Call the man.
  1. Turn off the power to the unit.
  2. Discharge the capacitor after you have disconnected the power and before you touch the capacitor.
I wont get into the details of how to replace your capacitor. Instead, I will link you to a video which explains it better than I can here. The first 13-14 minutes is all you need to watch. As for diagnosing if your capacitor is shot, usually a visual inspection is all you need. A normally functioning capacitor has a totally flat top on it. When it fails, the top will be domed, bulging, disfigured, charred, or just flat out exploded. Even a slight bulge indicates your capacitor is shot. If that capacitor top is not clean and totally flat then it is highly likely shot. No need for a multimeter.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
In nine years we have replaced three fan motors at around $300 each. I have been suspicious each time. I watched the video today and I am taking my inside and out side units apart and find the specs of the two capacitors and buy them on Amazon.
Thanks for posting, if this happens again, I'll check the appropriate capacitor and replace if necessary.
It's a small gamble for a sub $20 part. Just remember to kill the power AND short out the capacitor (8:40 on the vid). We don't need Mrs CMD scraping you up off the ground.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
We don't need Mrs CMD scraping you up off the ground.

After forty years, she has scraping me up and sending me back into the game down to fine art. But that power and shorting seems to be more important than my usual foray into a project.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
After forty years, she has scraping me up and sending me back into the game down to fine art. But that power and shorting seems to be more important than my usual foray into a project.

I have agreed that I will not be using a chainsaw when she is off doing stuff.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Indeed it is. Those "loaded" capacitors can knock you on your azz. It's simple to "unload" them but a step easily forgotten when one's mind is consumed with all the other aspects of swapping it out.

Doesn't hurt to clean the condensers on your AC unit once in awhile too. Has to be the most neglected maintenance item there is and can make a big difference in your electric bills and life expectancy of the unit. Most manufacturers say annually. Easy for them to say. They don't have to do it. But every 2 - 3 years is far better than never.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Odd you mention that periodic cleaning, I routinely clean the contacts on my vape stuff, maintain the chainsaw and truck but never thought of a routine cleaning of my HVAC electronics. Who says you can't teach an old and decrepit dog a new trick?

Indeed it is. Those "loaded" capacitors can knock you on your azz. It's simple to "unload" them but a step easily forgotten when one's mind is consumed with all the other aspects of swapping it out.

Doesn't hurt to clean the condensers on your AC unit once in awhile too. Has to be the most neglected maintenance item there is and can make a big difference in your electric bills and life expectancy of the unit. Most manufacturers say annually. Easy for them to say. They don't have to do it. But every 2 - 3 years is far better than never.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Odd you mention that periodic cleaning, I routinely clean the contacts on my vape stuff, maintain the chainsaw and truck but never thought of a routine cleaning of my HVAC electronics. Who says you can't teach an old and decrepit dog a new trick?
You're not cleaning the electronics, just the condenser.

Mrs CMD would be impressed that you cleaned the condenser on your AC. :)

Plenty of videos showing how to do it. Don't use a pressure washer...flattens the fins. Also, you can buy both caustic and non-caustic cleaning solutions. Typically, the non-caustic ones are marginally effective. That's why I usually stick with the caustic ones. Probably lye or something in those caustic ones.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
You're not cleaning the electronics, just the condenser.

Mrs CMD would be impressed that you cleaned the condenser on your AC. :)

Plenty of videos showing how to do it. Don't use a pressure washer...flattens the fins. Also, you can buy both caustic and non-caustic cleaning solutions. Typically, the non-caustic ones are marginally effective. That's why I usually stick with the caustic ones. Probably lye or something in those caustic ones.

I sold my pressure washer, I found that whatever I used it on I was somewhat disappointed in how it turned out or actively hated what it did, i.e., wood steps and deck. I found this true no matter the angle of the tip or how far I got back from the target. I have no concrete to wash and that was what I concluded the thing was good for.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
See, that's why this is a great thread. Even though I know this stuff, from having been in the business (sold HVAC equipment in 80's-90's), I'd totally forgotten about cleaning my coils, and this reminded me. I'm pretty good at remembering to change filters, but it's been ages since I've done the coils. This reminded me I need to get on it, especially since my units are 15 years old, I really need to avoid stressing them!

Users who are viewing this thread