How to Fix Stuff

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
See, that's why this is a great thread. Even though I know this stuff, from having been in the business (sold HVAC equipment in 80's-90's), I'd totally forgotten about cleaning my coils, and this reminded me. I'm pretty good at remembering to change filters, but it's been ages since I've done the coils. This reminded me I need to get on it, especially since my units are 15 years old, I really need to avoid stressing them!
Yep, knowing something needs to be done means nothing if you don't do it. :)

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
You're not cleaning the electronics, just the condenser.

Mrs CMD would be impressed that you cleaned the condenser on your AC. :)

Plenty of videos showing how to do it. Don't use a pressure washer...flattens the fins. Also, you can buy both caustic and non-caustic cleaning solutions. Typically, the non-caustic ones are marginally effective. That's why I usually stick with the caustic ones. Probably lye or something in those caustic ones.

I read "condenser" as "capacitor". I sees what I wants to see and hears what I wants to hear, never let reality impinge on my fun.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I had no idea you had to and I was told 2 years. The husband was JUST about to do ours before it exploded (flushing AND replacing the valve part) and it was just under 2 years. He also built a set of progressive filtering systems and attached it under the house, which was like down to microns or something.

But, I sure wish he had done that yearly. I think he has wished that, too.
Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
@AstroTurf @Brewdawg1181
The door itself is finished. I am getting ready to mount the hangers rail and all. I have a pickling question. Is the vinegar wash just soaking a rag in vinegar and wiping down the galvanized pieces or is there more to it that just a wiping? Looking at the door with stain and the metal pieces, the galvanized parts will need to painted black to look good for Ms CMD.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
@AstroTurf @Brewdawg1181
The door itself is finished. I am getting ready to mount the hangers rail and all. I have a pickling question. Is the vinegar wash just soaking a rag in vinegar and wiping down the galvanized pieces or is there more to it that just a wiping? Looking at the door with stain and the metal pieces, the galvanized parts will need to painted black to look good for Ms CMD.
just as you described

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
@AstroTurf @Brewdawg1181
I'm agreeing with Astro here, since I haven't done it before. My level of knowledge on painting galvanized was that I knew it doesn't like it, so you have to do special prep. He seems like he knows what he's talking about, so go with him!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
just as you described

I'm agreeing with Astro here, since I haven't done it before. My level of knowledge on painting galvanized was that I knew it doesn't like it, so you have to do special prep. He seems like he knows what he's talking about, so go with him!

Thank you both, this is coming along quite well. It is going to look good, replacing a door on hinges that are really not up to the weight, it sags (kind of like me) and looks bad (kind of like me). The hanging door will be a whole lot more functional, easier to open.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Thank you both, this is coming along quite well. It is going to look good, replacing a door on hinges that are really not up to the weight, it sags (kind of like me) and looks bad (kind of like me). The hanging door will be a whole lot more functional, easier to open.
PIDH.

And:
upload_2020-5-27_17-9-30.png

upload_2020-5-27_17-6-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-27_17-2-44.png
    upload_2020-5-27_17-2-44.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 6

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
You're not cleaning the electronics, just the condenser.

Mrs CMD would be impressed that you cleaned the condenser on your AC. :)

Plenty of videos showing how to do it. Don't use a pressure washer...flattens the fins. Also, you can buy both caustic and non-caustic cleaning solutions. Typically, the non-caustic ones are marginally effective. That's why I usually stick with the caustic ones. Probably lye or something in those caustic ones.
Be careful what caustic cleaner you’re using if you have a newer condenser, many are made from recycled aluminum and can corrode easily.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Okay, a question. What's the best anchor you've seen to use to hold something really heavy on a brick wall? Cellular brick- the kind with 3 holes in it.

I've got a seriously heavy duty fan to hang (wall mount), so not only do I have 45 lbs., but there's vibrations to deal with. I'm assuming some sort of really good sleeve anchor, but wondering if anyone's used a specific anchor they feel deals well with the cavities of the brick. It's easy to find a number of them that are great for solid concrete, but hard to find info on this. I've seen some that look good, but just checking.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Okay, a question. What's the best anchor you've seen to use to hold something really heavy on a brick wall? Cellular brick- the kind with 3 holes in it.

I've got a seriously heavy duty fan to hang (wall mount), so not only do I have 45 lbs., but there's vibrations to deal with. I'm assuming some sort of really good sleeve anchor, but wondering if anyone's used a specific anchor they feel deals well with the cavities of the brick. It's easy to find a number of them that are great for solid concrete, but hard to find info on this. I've seen some that look good, but just checking.
Good question. Are you saying you want to go directly in the brick??

Users who are viewing this thread