How to Fix Stuff

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Sorry to interrupt the meese tails. But I got this junk mail today and I'm pretty sure it's a scam gadget. What say you? Could there be something to it?

Smart Electric Box

That deffinitely seems like a scam device to me @MikeE3, as there's just no way for it to filter the power whatsoever.

It would need a passthrough to be able to do that and it doesn't, it just plugs in any spare socket and it increases various devices energy efficiency supposedly.

Reactions: AstroTurf

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Definite hoax, poorly written to boot. Gotta get me some Germany technology!

I love the 1 box per 500 square feet - a really meaningless approach to something supposedly related to power.

The little video with them plugging into a random extension cord added a certain something to the presentation.

That's a fun site:

11-in-1 Wallet Knife Card

Having it as a keychain item is entertaining - stick your hand in your pocket to get the key and slice your finger on the saw edge.

Of course the 15-in-1 stainless snowflake is also listed as pocket friendly:
15-in-1 Stainless Snowflake Multi-tool

I can't figure out if it's a ninja throwing star wannabe or something Pinhead from Hellraiser would wear. One photo on that page seems to show a person with it on a lanyard looped around their wrist, perhaps getting ready for a night of street brawls.

My favorite is probably the anti-slip slippers, just because [emoji3]
Anti-Slip Home Slippers

They will release feet burden, not slide on even steep inclines, and have pure color (I'm tired of having impure color). Also, the person in the white coat apparently is having a great time with them [emoji106]

Last edited:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Sorry to interrupt the meese tails. But I got this junk mail today and I'm pretty sure it's a scam gadget. What say you? Could there be something to it?

Smart Electric Box
Their "How it Works" section doesn't sound as informative as they probably would like.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
No meece this morning. I pulled the traps and I'm declaring victory. Final count: 11 meeces.

So if you are getting bits of insulation collecting in your HVAC registers, it's likely mice. Get yourself some traps (I suggested what worked for me earlier in this thread) and place them where you think they are coming/going. In my case, it was in the crawl near the HVAC cutout in the wall.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
One of my toilets takes forever to refill. 2-1/2 minutes. Twice what it was when I put new toilet guts in less than two years ago. I pulled the cap and cleaned the seal and screen, etc. Didn't do anything. I wasn't gonna monkey with it anymore. Bought a new valve at Home Despot for $7 and replaced it. Problem solved. Takes 35 seconds to refill now. Easy job.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I have been getting a lot of cob webs in the basement this year and got really tired of taking them down with a broom. I went to the hardware store and bought some home defense spray in a jug that came with a spray wand. I found out when I got home that the wand is battery operated. I put it together and sprayed around the top of the concrete walls where the foundation meets the concrete wall. I sprayed Sunday and went down last night an didn't see any new cobwebs. I probably wont be able to tell for a week or so but hopefully this stuff works.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I have been getting a lot of cob webs in the basement this year and got really tired of taking them down with a broom. I went to the hardware store and bought some home defense spray in a jug that came with a spray wand. I found out when I got home that the wand is battery operated. I put it together and sprayed around the top of the concrete walls where the foundation meets the concrete wall. I sprayed Sunday and went down last night an didn't see any new cobwebs. I probably wont be able to tell for a week or so but hopefully this stuff works.
    What were you spraying?

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    What were you spraying?
    Wait, you said home defense.

Consider a better option. Taurus SC.

It's a termiticide that the pros use on homes that lasts 10+ years. Used to need a license, not anymore. Slugs like us can buy it now on Amazon. It's soaked along the foundation and is highly effective at preventing termites from eating your house (lots of You Tube vids). It is also sprayed in those drilled holes in the foundation cinder blocks many people have their crawl spaces. Sprayed from the inside. I also spray around the inside foundation sill. Highly effective with many pests including spiders. Wont mention all the bugs but eliminates ants and roaches too. They walk in it, bring it back to their colony and wipe out the entire mob. This is why pest joints give you those huge warranties because this stuff flat out works and has for years.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I had never heard of that before. So it's safe to spray inside? I do use the basement. All of my exercise equipment is down there as well as some other stuff.
    I think so. Had a pest control buddy of mine tell me it's safe once it's dry. Spray it around the perimeter of your basement at the top where the sill plate is. A place where it doesn't get disturbed. Often, these subterranean creatures enter in cracks in the walls, floors, or where the floor meets the wall in basements. If you see cracks, squirt the crap in them too. I wont recommend anyone live among any pesticide including this one. That's why you spray it in places you wont be touching it all the time. Cracks, up in the joists, etc should be fine.

Watch yourself a You Tube vid on how it is applied for termites, ants, etc. (along exterior foundations). Might be under the name Termidor SC. Taurus SC is same stuff but cheaper. A small trench next to foundation then soak with mixture of water and the Taurus. It's what the pros do. Mine lasted 15 years. No ants, no termites. Suddenly started to see ants and it got bad. Eventually reapplied a few years ago. Haven't seen an ant since. It's a must where I live in the woods. Too many subterranean creatures that will eat the house.

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    One of my toilets takes forever to refill. 2-1/2 minutes. Twice what it was when I put new toilet guts in less than two years ago. I pulled the cap and cleaned the seal and screen, etc. Didn't do anything. I wasn't gonna monkey with it anymore. Bought a new valve at Home Despot for $7 and replaced it. Problem solved. Takes 35 seconds to refill now. Easy job.
    I had the toilet guts (as you cleverly described them) replaced in my toilets 5 yrs ago when I moved in here, because one was quite busted and as long as I had a plumber here, I did them all. One has always taken longer to fill.
    I had no idea (and I do a lot of home maintenance) that the guts had replaceable parts. I'll take a look, though I'll have to figure out what the valve is.

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    Gotta say that spiders are a mystery.
    My place is pretty tight. I don't have any house flies. An occasional fruit fly, depending on what produce is sitting on the counter. But, I do get a spider here and there.
    What do they survive on?

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    And last. No fixes, just an amusing (to me) story.
    Had a blockage in the building waste water pipe a few days ago. Nothing that I could fix.
    The last time this happened to me (in a different place) was probably 25yrs ago. Used the normal Roter Rooter people.
    I used, this time, a local company recommended by my plumber.
    Amazing how tech moves along. The guy had a camera on a long cable which he fed into the pipe along side the auger cable, so as he was cutting up the intruding roots he was able to watch his progress and determine how much more to do. Watching the little screen, it was hard for me to understand what I was seeing, until he deciphered the images. Cool stuff.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I had the toilet guts (as you cleverly described them) replaced in my toilets 5 yrs ago when I moved in here, because one was quite busted and as long as I had a plumber here, I did them all. One has always taken longer to fill.
    I had no idea (and I do a lot of home maintenance) that the guts had replaceable parts. I'll take a look, though I'll have to figure out what the valve is.
    There are a zillion You Tube vids you can watch. The instructions are good too. I use the Flowmaster parts. If you’re gonna redo yours I’d get the full kit. Flush and fill parts. Somewhere around $20. First one takes the longest. They’re a breeze after that.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    No meece this morning. I pulled the traps and I'm declaring victory. Final count: 11 meeces.

So if you are getting bits of insulation collecting in your HVAC registers, it's likely mice. Get yourself some traps (I suggested what worked for me earlier in this thread) and place them where you think they are coming/going. In my case, it was in the crawl near the HVAC cutout in the wall.

I got one more rat story, sorta the reason I'm here. My grandfathers one side from Ireland the other from UK were professional rat hunters they had packs of dogs that would go around dairy and horse barns and thin out the rats. So they started having competitions to see who had the best pack of dogs. This is how my parents met on one of these rat killing trips. So rat killing is in my DNA. That was always a thrill to visit them and go ratting. A terrier with a little training is a 100 times better than a cat.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I got one more rat story, sorta the reason I'm here. My grandfathers one side from Ireland the other from UK were professional rat hunters they had packs of dogs that would go around dairy and horse barns and thin out the rats. So they started having competitions to see who had the best pack of dogs. This is how my parents met on one of these rat killing trips. So rat killing is in my DNA. That was always a thrill to visit them and go ratting. A terrier with a little training is a 100 times better than a cat.

Yeah, but a trained cat is 100x better than a trained dog. :D

Users who are viewing this thread