How to Fix Stuff

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
I got one more rat story, sorta the reason I'm here. My grandfathers one side from Ireland the other from UK were professional rat hunters they had packs of dogs that would go around dairy and horse barns and thin out the rats. So they started having competitions to see who had the best pack of dogs. This is how my parents met on one of these rat killing trips. So rat killing is in my dna. That was always a thrill to visit them and go ratting. A terrier with a little training is a 100 times better than a cat.

That was totally weird, not bad, just weird. I don't get what they were digging into to unearth all those rats. Whatever it was, glad I don't have it!
And, did those dogs eat the rats or just kill them and lay them aside?

Reactions: AstroTurf

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    That was totally weird, not bad, just weird. I don't get what they were digging into to unearth all those rats. Whatever it was, glad I don't have it!
    Looks like the dogs just shook them. Til they broke, lol. Helluva way to go..

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler

A well trained dog and won't eat the rat, because of poison, the rats become immune but can kill the dog. Most terriers naturally hate rats even if you don't have a pack to help train your dog, a rat from the pet store in a box give the dog the scent, and you can have your house terrier ratting in no time. It just amazes me how vicious these cute little dogs can be. Ratting is on the rise in the US because of organic farms. They were digging cause the rat burrow could cause the stock to brake a leg, that was a compost mound rich source of food for the rats.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    A well trained dog and won't eat the rat, because of poison, the rats become immune but can kill the dog. Most terriers naturally hate rats even if you don't have a pack to help train your dog, a rat from the pet store in a box give the dog the scent, and you can have your house terrier ratting in no time. It just amazes me how vicious these cute little dogs can be. Ratting is on the rise in the US because of organic farms. They were digging cause the rat burrow could cause the stock to brake a leg.
    Canines and felines hunt for different reasons. Canines are killers. They kill, in large part, to kill. Wolves have proven this. They're just cold hearted killers. That's how they are wired. Yes, they will eat their kill but they are very motivated to kill whether they're hungry or not and they do it in some of the most horrific ways brutalizing and torturing their victims. They follow pregnant elk, caribou, and moose for miles because they can smell them ready to give birth. And when the mother begins to give birth the wolves are right there tearing it out of her womb. Most dog breeds have had this killer urge somewhat curbed, thankfully. Felines, on the other hand, are wired to ambush. They are far more patient and calculating and focus all their efforts on a single animal...almost always for the purpose of eating them (except in the case of self defense). Yes, young felines will "play" with their kills but that is largely abandoned once they learn how to hunt. If you want to eradicate a rat nest like in that video then dogs are the way to go. If you have a mouse or rat sneaking around that is hard to find then you want a cat because they will never stop until they get it. Especially a hungry one.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    A follow up on the home defense spray I used in my basement. It seems to have worked very well. I went down yesterday and didn’t find the usual cobwebs. It’s supposed to last a long time but we’ll see.

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    A well trained dog and won't eat the rat, because of poison, the rats become immune but can kill the dog. Most terriers naturally hate rats even if you don't have a pack to help train your dog, a rat from the pet store in a box give the dog the scent, and you can have your house terrier ratting in no time. It just amazes me how vicious these cute little dogs can be. Ratting is on the rise in the US because of organic farms. They were digging cause the rat burrow could cause the stock to brake a leg, that was a compost mound rich source of food for the rats.
    Didn't know all that. thanks.
    And regarding the burrows and breaking legs, reminded me of when I lived in the country and had quite a few groundhogs living on my property.
    First off, they are NOT as cute and cuddly as are portrayed in clips for groundhog day. Second, they have all these wide and deep burrows, which any livestock can easily break a leg into, let alone an inattentive human. I learned how to shoot, though largely unsuccessfully.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    Our bathtub drain stopper has frozen in the closed position. It's the bucket style stopper -
    uRy6g.png

After removing the plate for the trip lever I confirmed the linkage is intact but the old brass bucket is frozen in the closed position. We hadn't used it in a long time as we shower in that tub. My wife got frustrated with slow draining and worked the lever for a bit until draining completely stopped, then called me.

I'm guessing its corrosion more than crud causing this as it's a 1925 house. No amount of leverage or muscle can budge it. Right now I'm in the process of spraying CLR (pouring drains it out the overflow hole in the bucket) down the overflow tube to see if it can break free. Hopefully I won't have to become a contortionist to access the drain assembly from an 18 inch wide closet.

If anybody has a better idea I'm all ears. I'm going to do repeated spraying of CLR over the weekend and hopefully get lucky.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 27, 2014
    Our bathtub drain stopper has frozen in the closed position. It's the bucket style stopper -
    uRy6g.png

After removing the plate for the trip lever I confirmed the linkage is intact but the old brass bucket is frozen in the closed position. We hadn't used it in a long time as we shower in that tub. My wife got frustrated with slow draining and worked the lever for a bit until draining completely stopped, then called me.

I'm guessing its corrosion more than crud causing this as it's a 1925 house. No amount of leverage or muscle can budge it. Right now I'm in the process of spraying CLR (pouring drains it out the overflow hole in the bucket) down the overflow tube to see if it can break free. Hopefully I won't have to become a contortionist to access the drain assembly from an 18 inch wide closet.

If anybody has a better idea I'm all ears. I'm going to do repeated spraying of CLR over the weekend and hopefully get lucky.
    pb blaster may be your friend also?!?

kas122461

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 15, 2013
    Indiana, USA
    uRy6g.png

Personally I would just replace the whole assembly, I replaced mine when I bought this house, 25 years ago. I have had no problems sense, my house was built in 1920, but I don't think it was the original tub. I am not sure if you would have problems matching things up or not. Otherwise you might try just plain white vinegar, it works better then CLR. Just my :2c:

KAS

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    Personally I would just replace the whole assembly, I replaced mine when I bought this house, 25 years ago. I have had no problems sense, my house was built in 1920, but I don't think it was the original tub. I am not sure if you would have problems matching things up or not. Otherwise you might try just plain white vinegar, it works better then CLR. Just my :2c:

KAS
    Thanks - we have extra bottles of apple cider vinegar so it will get used next if CLR doesn't help. I'm going to battle with this over the weekend before going after the assembly. Good thing we have another bath!

kas122461

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 15, 2013
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks - we have extra bottles of apple cider vinegar so it will get used next if CLR doesn't help. I'm going to battle with this over the weekend before going after the assembly. Good thing we have another bath!

Sense I found out how good vinegar works on calcium deposits, I now use it on a lot of different things. I have even used it in my water heater, to remove the build up in the bottom. I have not used CLR in aprox 5 years now. :|

KAS

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY

How did your plumbing project work out? If good, what ended up doing the trick?

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    How did your plumbing project work out? If good, what ended up doing the trick?
    No luck, I really thought Pblaster would do the trick. A new drain assembly seems in order. My back has kept me from squirming into the closet but we have a second bath for now. I may end up calling someone in dammit.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    No luck, I really thought Pblaster would do the trick. A new drain assembly seems in order. My back has kept me from squirming into the closet but we have a second bath for now. I may end up calling someone in dammit.

I was hoping that you would have success with one of the suggestions. Bad backs and plumbing don't mix well together.

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 27, 2014

Users who are viewing this thread