The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How to Fix Stuff

Discussion in 'Heather's Heavenly Vapes' started by Bronze, Jun 16, 2019.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bronze

Bronze ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    I have a GE side by side. Some 16 years old now. GE is notorious for their wiggy icemakers/water dispensers. I’ve had mine apart more times than I care to think.

• Like Like x 2
  2. newyork13

newyork13 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    I once had a fridge with an ice maker and water dispenser, only because it was in the house I bought.
    Although it's a ton of work to make my own ice cubes, and get water from the faucet...
    I won't buy one with those features. Just not worth the possible repair issues.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    They are very nice to have but also very finicky.

• Like Like x 1
  4. borno

borno Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2019
    The solenoid fill valve went bad on mine. It was easy and cheap to replace on the bottom in the back. The rubber seal in it deteriorated. Thinking back it wasn't making that positive clunk sound like the new one. I don't have the same model, but it's worth a look.

• Like Like x 3
  5. hittman

hittman ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Was your water dispenser working?

• Like Like x 1
  6. borno

borno Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2019
    I was getting small cubes and the line was freezing from the water not shutting off completely

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
  8. Plumes.91

Plumes.91 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    Anyone know where I can obtain the screw that keeps the plastic insert in REO mods fastened to the back of the battery compartment? I am currently missing my screw. It must of fallen out the squonker hole. Plz halp. :(

• Like Like x 1
  9. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Folks are still visiting a reo thread here somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CMD-Ky

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    The REOville lounge

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    This isn't a post about how to fix stuff. This is a post about how to eliminate misery from your life. About 22 years ago I bought one of those Bissell carpet cleaners. It worked great the first time or two (I mean how often do you use it). Then it started having troubles. Where to begin? Poor spray, no spray, poor soap mixing, no soap mixing, poor suction, no suction, belts breaking, suction diverters breaking, leaks galore, trigger malfunctions, pump failure, roller failure, heater failure, valves clogging, valves failing, spray nozzles clogging...just to name a few. Decided I had a lemon so like a fool I went out and got another one, basically the same one. Well guess what? The second one was the same as the first. Whoduh thunk? Worked great the first few times then went the same path as the first. Nothing but trouble. I refused to give up on it. I cannibalized the old one for parts to keep the new one going. Did this for years and years. Every time I used that machine I had to fix stuff on it. Not some of the time, not most of the time, not every time but once. No, EVERY TIME! I hated those machines with every fiber in my being. Total, 100% pieces of :censored:! Nothing I have ever owned has caused me more headaches than those satanic appliances.

The other day I finally came to my senses when, yes again, it failed. I unplugged the machine, picked it up and threw it as far as I could in the driveway. Grabbed a large ground stake and beat the hell out of the thing. I felt better. Went in the attic and grabbed the first Bissell which had been reduced to bits and pieces in its box. Also grabbed the box for the newer one threw all the bits in those two boxes, loaded it on my truck and drove it to the dump. They are out of my life. FOREVER!

Bought a new one. A Bissell Revolution. Why another Bissell? Several reasons. 1. They are completely different these days. Much, much, much simpler. Less than half the parts. Wont bore you here with the details. 2. It got the best reviews on You Tube. And I watched a ton of reviews. 3. Does anyone seriously think any of those other brands are any better?

Went back and re-cleaned all the carpets I started. What a difference! The new design is so much better. Very few knobs, levers, and buttons. So much less stuff to break or malfunction. So many less places for crud n crap to build up. Simple, simple, simple. And it does a better job than the old ones ever did. Bissell finally got smart. They sell two versions of the Revolution. The more expensive ones have a few extra gadgets on them that are utterly worthless. I'd pay extra money to leave them off. Just more crap to break.

So folks, keep in mind there are just some things in life not worth fixing anymore. Do something else with your life. Find another way, get a different appliance, hire someone, beat a dead horse, whatever. But know when to give up on something. Spare yourself the misery.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mordacai

Mordacai Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @Bronze, have to agree with you to some extent.

Still keep on mulling over a low end commercial steam cleaner due to the various jobs that you can do with them so much more easily and efficiently.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    Love that name "Mordacai". Remember I'm the guy who told you my favorite all time baseball name is Mordacai "Three-Finger" Brown. :)

Anyway, I don't believe these box store carpet cleaners stack up to other methods...primarily professional carpet cleaners. They simply can't do the job a $10,000 machine can do. That said, they have their place. Good for in-between professional cleanings. Or if you're willing to clean more often you can probably get away with no professional cleanings. Hiring pros is expensive and these cheap box store cleaners are certainly better than nothing. I've also noticed the cleaning solutions have improved quite dramatically over the years.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mordacai

Mordacai Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Well, it's the little known fact that you can use steam to clean carpets and upholstery that is why I mentioned them.

As they're a dammed good multi-purpose tool.

• Like Like x 2
  15. CMD-Ky

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Mrs CMD has a steamer that she uses for many things, one of which is cleaning wood floors. It really does a job, with two dags with wet bodies all summer and wet paws all winter. Even I can tell the difference when she uses that thing. She also does the furniture, both solid wood and upolstered.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    Just replaced a kitchen faucet. Got a Moen Noell off Ebay for $115. Home Depot sells them for $200 but I think they just lowered the price to $190. Easy installation. Taking off the old faucet was harder. Overall it was easy. Very nice faucet.

i will be giving a preliminary review of my gutter guards in the next week or so. Leaf season is coming to an end so it will be a good time for a fall review. My final review will be after pollen season in the Spring. They will be one year old then.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Yeah, it's easier than it used to be. God, how I hated getting in that small space behind the sink and wrestling with basin wrenches until my back was killing me to replace a kitchen faucet back in the day. I decided to replace my kitchen faucet about a year ago, and was surprised how much easier the new ones install. I got a Delta similar to your Moen.

BTW, they do stand behind their lifetime warranty. I just had a drip a couple of months ago in a shower diverter. 15 yr. old house, all Delta. Called them, sent a pic of the model, they identified it and I had a repair kit, no charge in 3 days. They were really nice- great customer service.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    I had a little plastic piece on mine that was busted in half. Emailed Moen and they’re sending me a whole kit no questions asked.

• Like Like x 5
  19. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I just Replaced my Mom's Moen Kitchen Faucet about a week ago. The New Moen was dead simple to install.

The Hardest part wasn't doing the Faucet. It was removing the old Shut-Off Values from the Copper Pipes to put on New Ones. Unreal how Tight they were. And, of course, where they were in a place that Didn't give me much room to put a Cheater piece of pipe on the end of my Wrench.

At least this little 10 Dollar Tool made Removing the Compression Sleeves a Snap.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    I have one of those pullers in my tool box but it's useless because I mistakenly threw out the little piece that inserts into the copper pipe from a previous job. They're a little squirrely but they work.

• Like Like x 4