How to Fix Stuff

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Watt eaters are anything that heats up. This includes toasters, hair dryers, and coffee pots. You’d be shocked (pun intended) at how much juice those things eat.

Microwaves are Power Hungry Beasts also.

And when the Power is Out, they are Nice to have if you don't have a Gas Stove Top.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I have a bunch of HD extension cords all over. I is a bit of a mess getting it all set and taken down but it is safe. I have a Honda 2000 with a 'demand' throttle for power. it goes up and down. Very nice unit.

How many watts? A lot of people don’t realize a good welder like a Miller Bobcat 250 or 260 is also a good size generator. 11,000 watts continuous and 12,000 peak. It has a four pole 230 volt receptacle as well as two 120v duplex receptacles.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    A good old fashioned propane grill with burner comes in handy too.

My Ultimate Fallback...

f3d2c9e1dd143c615d66857ca30c9403.jpg

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I have a turkey fryer with one of those burners with a hoop around it. A wok fits perfectly on it. Lots of stir frying during power outages. :)

I actual have Two Coleman Stoves.

One is an Old Cherished Friend. Someone who has accompanied Me on Many Great Trips. A Stove that has Never Let Me Down. And works Flawlessly Every Time.

The Other is Cantankerous Evil Cuss. Something that seems to take Demonic Joy out of Working Fine until you arrive at the Campsite. And was probably Spawned from the same Factory, which I am sure was built on a Ancient Indian Burial Grounds, that an Unleaded Coleman Lantern I briefly owned.

Reactions: hittman

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I actual have Two Coleman Stoves.

One is an Old Cherished Friend. Someone who has accompanied Me on Many Great Trips. A Stove that has Never Let Me Down. And works Flawlessly Every Time.

The Other is Cantankerous Evil Cuss. Something that seems to take Demonic Joy out of Working Fine until you arrive at the Campsite. And was probably Spawned from the same Factory, which I am sure was built on a Ancient Indian Burial Grounds, that an Unleaded Coleman Lantern I briefly owned.
    I’d deep six that thing. I have an old Coleman lantern that burns that white fuel. Use it frequently when I have campfires out back.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I’d deep six that thing. I have an old Coleman lantern that burns that white fuel. Use it frequently when I have campfires out back.

My regular Coleman White Gas Lantern is kinda Cranky. But it is Understandable. He has had a Hard Life. Was in a Tent Fire at 29 Palms. Numerous Tailgate Plunges. Fell in a River in Oregon. But He has Never Failed to Show Up when I needed Light. Albeit, sometimes after many threats of being put on the business end of a Remington 870.

Which BTW is how that Unleaded Lantern meet its Untimely Demise.

I'm Not sure why I keep that Problem Stove? Maybe it is the Way I Got it. Won it on a Lucky Shot thru the Neck of Beer Bottle. Looking back on it, the owner was Probably just trying to get ride of it.

LOL

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Pipe Quiz:

I have four pipe ends from my house about 50' away from the corner of my house (see pix below). Been wanting to know where they were since I bought this house 17+ years ago. I was determined today and damn if I didn't find them after I issued an APB followed by an extensive search using a pick axe, shovel, small gardening pick, my giant leaf blower, a rake, loppers, some intuition, and a bit of luck. Anyway. I'm baffled. I have 8 downspouts on my house plus two drains for my AC units (one each). All 8+2 sources drain out of pipes 1, 2, or 3 (counting left to right on the photo). I'll be danged if I know what the 4th pipe is on the far right end. I have a septic field but I cannot imagine there would be any kind of drain line coming off that. Can't figure out what the hell it's for. I see a washout cap along the foundation exterior. I'm halfway contemplating pulling that cap and shoving the hose down it to see if that is the 4th line. But I'm pretty certain that is the main pipe for my septic system. Is there some kind of overflow drain for that? I'm no septic expert but I generally know how they work. Baffled!

IMG_2057 (Phone).jpeg

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    No legal lines should exist for septic. But may vary by state.

Thinking house foundation drain? To keep the ground from getting waterlogged and having your house sink...can be installed many ways. Guessing.
    I wouldn't think so but when I don't know it is as good a guess as any. Maybe I'll take a closer look next time I'm out there. I know the other three are solid pipe. Maybe this fourth one is perforated. I have a message in for my septic guy asking if there would be some reason for the 4th line that is related to my septic system.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Just changed the oil in my pressure washer yesterday. Like the reel mower, it's impossible to do any kind of normal, "clean" drain process. I've been either making a mess, turning the machine sideways into a plastic storage lid & then doing a lot of wiping of the deck, or using one of these:
    upload_2021-6-18_18-47-32.png

And the little hand pump just doesn't work well any more. Looking at amazon, something similar is surprisingly expensive, cheapo device that it is.

What do you guys use to pump oil out of machines like that? One of the drill pumps, or what? Seems I saw a post about something like it in this thread a while back.

Reactions: Bronze

borno

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2019
    land of pleasant living
    Just changed the oil in my pressure washer yesterday. Like the reel mower, it's impossible to do any kind of normal, "clean" drain process. I've been either making a mess, turning the machine sideways into a plastic storage lid & then doing a lot of wiping of the deck, or using one of these:
    View attachment 946271
    And the little hand pump just doesn't work well any more. Looking at amazon, something similar is surprisingly expensive, cheapo device that it is.

What do you guys use to pump oil out of machines like that? One of the drill pumps, or what? Seems I saw a post about something like it in this thread a while back.
    A marine store will have something for pumping out the motor oil, we had one when I worked at a marina a long time ago.:)

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    View attachment 946271

I was fixin on changing the oil in my power washer in the fall before I use it the next time. Have never changed it yet but it’s due.

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Users who are viewing this thread