How to Fix Stuff

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for finding that silver lining. If it happened later today when we were at my Dad's it could have been feet of water instead of inches. Some towels washed over the main floor drain, blocking it.

That's the way you have to look at things sometimes. That it Sucks. But it could have been Worse. A LOT Worse.

---

I'm as Bad as about 99.9999% of the people in the world. And Don't Turn Off the Water when the Washer in not being used. I just Can't seem to get in that Rhythm for some reason?

I really should though. Because the Washer in in the Garage. And half of the Garage is Packed from the Floor to the Roof Rafters with "Stuff".

And it would be a Humongous Mess if a Hose Burst.

BTW - Which Hose decided Today was it's Last Day? The Hot or the Cold?

Reactions: 440BB

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    One supposedly high quality flexible hose to our basement laundry tub decided to burst this morning. Bon voyage and Happy Fathers Day!

Sounds like you got a rotten Father’s Day gift. We got a couple short but really hard rains this morning and I noticed the downspout closest to our front door had water coming out at the seam right before it makes a hard turn. I cleaned that gutter but forgot to run water down it to test and it must be plugged with maple seedlings at the bend. It won’t be hard but gotta clean that out today.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Sounds like you got a rotten Father’s Day gift. We got a couple short but really hard rains this morning and I noticed the downspout closest to our front door had water coming out at the seam right before it makes a hard turn. I cleaned that gutter but forgot to run water down it to test and it must be plugged with maple seedlings at the bend. It won’t be hard but gotta clean that out today.
    Just used this product. Awesome! Best part about it is roots will not go thru it. Do a search on You Tube "PVC Tile Tape".

https://www.amazon.com/Nda-Prinsco-...ords=PVC+tile+tape&qid=1624212820&sr=8-3&th=1

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Just used this product. Awesome! Best part about it is roots will not go thru it. Do a search on You Tube "PVC Tile Tape".

https://www.amazon.com/Nda-Prinsco-...ords=PVC+tile+tape&qid=1624212820&sr=8-3&th=1

I took the almost 90 degree bend off and it was plugged almost solid with maple seedlings or better known here as helicopters. This was the worst year ever for them. I have a tree trimmer coming to trim and thin that tree and the Chanticleer pear on the other side and to clean the high gutters. I think I might read back and try some gutter guards on the lower gutters in the front and on one side. Are yours working well?

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I took the almost 90 degree bend off and it was plugged almost solid with maple seedlings or better known here as helicopters. This was the worst year ever for them. I have a tree trimmer coming to trim and thin that tree and the Chanticleer pear on the other side and to clean the high gutters. I think I might read back and try some gutter guards on the lower gutters in the front and on one side. Are yours working well?
    Yep, guards will keep your downspouts and drains clean. Still very happy with mine. The worst was post pollen season just a month or so ago. We get heavy pine pollen here. It rains, gets wet and pasty. I was able to brush it off the guards pretty easily. However, in spots where higher levels pour water to lower levels it accumulated and clogs the screen. Rain rolls over the side in those spots. Needed a fine bristle wire brush to clean those spots. Is no big deal.

Long story short (I wrote about it on the Big Thread earlier this week), I had a breach in one of my corrugated drain lines. I repaired it using a coupler and that tile tape. I also made the effort to find the ends of my drain lines. I ensured they worked. Now I have to carve out the ground to get better runoff. At any rate, I became an expert on corrugated roof drains this past week. :)

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    That's the way you have to look at things sometimes. That it Sucks. But it could have been Worse. A LOT Worse.

---

I'm as Bad as about 99.9999% of the people in the world. And Don't Turn Off the Water when the Washer in not being used. I just Can't seem to get in that Rhythm for some reason?

I really should though. Because the Washer in in the Garage. And half of the Garage is Packed from the Floor to the Roof Rafters with "Stuff".

And it would be a Humongous Mess if a Hose Burst.

BTW - Which Hose decided Today was it's Last Day? The Hot or the Cold?
    At least it was the cold water hose. No laundry activity at the time, just a random burst.

I might get some insurance help with this one. Wall to wall carpeting with insulating closed cell foam, 80% wet underneath. For the cost of lifting, drying, cleaning and sanitizing it might be better to just put in the newer vinyl plank flooring. That would mean a cold floor in the winter for the part time man cave.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    At least it was the cold water hose. No laundry activity at the time, just a random burst.

I might get some insurance help with this one. Wall to wall carpeting with insulating closed cell foam, 80% wet underneath. For the cost of lifting, drying, cleaning and sanitizing it might be better to just put in the newer vinyl plank flooring. That would mean a cold floor in the winter for the part time man cave.

I'm a Big Believer in Linoleum (or something Similar) and then Area Rugs for space like that.

Or Tile can work also.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I'm a Big Believer in Linoleum (or something Similar) and then Area Rugs for space like that.

Or Tile can work also.
    I agree. When we did it 25 years ago it made our basement a warm place to play for the little ones. I had a lot of confidence in the plumbing as we had put new copper through almost all of our 1925 house. It evolved into the gaming room and band practice room, then likely the make out room, then finally Dad's man cave. As the little ones are now 26 and 30 and the granddaughters are 2000 miles away, carpet's not important. Funny thing is that it's nylon commercial carpet and looks like new, at least when dry.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I agree. When we did it 25 years ago it made our basement a warm place to play for the little ones. I had a lot of confidence in the plumbing as we had put new copper through almost all of our 1925 house. It evolved into the gaming room and band practice room, then likely the make out room, then finally Dad's man cave. As the little ones are now 26 and 30 and the granddaughters are 2000 miles away, carpet's not important. Funny thing is that it's nylon commercial carpet and looks like new, at least when dry.

I knew someone who wanted to Tile a Concrete Patio, So He bought this truckload of 18" Glazed Tile. But the plans changed. So he ended up with this Stack of Tile for like 3 years at the side of his house. His Wife finally put Her foot down and said the Tile had to go.

So my friend tore out the Carpeting in the Game Room and tiled it. It turned out Spectacular.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    So anyway, during the course of repairing my underground corrugated drain lines for my gutter system, I ran into a product that could be quite useful for unclogging drains I'll link it below. Used with a pressure washer it jets through your drain lines (many types of drain lines) to power thru clogs and leave your lines clean.

I once worked for a company who made truck mounted, high power jetting equipment that municipalities used to clean the town sewer lines. These were very large, high powered pieces of equipment designed for large pipes and high output. Jetting is very effective. Many You Tube vids on this.

If nothing else, at least you know this product exists and if you have a power washer and a clogged drain this is an option.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085WJ4GWG/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    Update on my wet basement saga. Allstate claims didn't get back to me authorizing anything in their stated 24 hour timeframe, so I kept the fans cranked up and bought a pretty good dehumidifier yesterday. I even ordered a gallon of Nok-Out, the best safe killer of mold and mildew I've used. (Chlorine dioxide)

When the adjuster called from Tennessee today he was apologetic about the delay in the claim being forwarded to him. He offered to reimburse the cost of the dehumidifier and Nok-Out, as well as reimbursing us for our time bucketing and toweling as well as time spent acquiring those items, to the point that our deductible will be covered. We did a video call so he could confirm the damage and cause. A crew is coming out at about 8:30 tomorrow morning and I think I'm going to be able to keep the carpet after cleaning and disinfecting. Bath and laundry room tiles may need replacement but apparently the only thing they won't cover is the cost of a new flex hose.:D

Basement humidity down 30 points to 48% after 24 hours of the dehumidifier. Things could definitely be worse.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Update on my wet basement saga. Allstate claims didn't get back to me authorizing anything in their stated 24 hour timeframe, so I kept the fans cranked up and bought a pretty good dehumidifier yesterday. I even ordered a gallon of Nok-Out, the best safe killer of mold and mildew I've used. (Chlorine dioxide)

When the adjuster called from Tennessee today he was apologetic about the delay in the claim being forwarded to him. He offered to reimburse the cost of the dehumidifier and Nok-Out, as well as reimbursing us for our time bucketing and toweling as well as time spent acquiring those items, to the point that our deductible will be covered. We did a video call so he could confirm the damage and cause. A crew is coming out at about 8:30 tomorrow morning and I think I'm going to be able to keep the carpet after cleaning and disinfecting. Bath and laundry room tiles may need replacement but apparently the only thing they won't cover is the cost of a new flex hose.:D

Basement humidity down 30 points to 48% after 24 hours of the dehumidifier. Things could definitely be worse.
    On the mend!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Good to hear that Allstate moved on things Quickly.

78% Humidity coupled with June Weather is the Perfect Storm for Black Mold.

• Agree
    Reactions: Bronze

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    So anyway, during the course of repairing my underground corrugated drain lines for my gutter system, I ran into a product that could be quite useful for unclogging drains I'll link it below. Used with a pressure washer it jets through your drain lines (many types of drain lines) to power thru clogs and leave your lines clean.

I once worked for a company who made truck mounted, high power jetting equipment that municipalities used to clean the town sewer lines. These were very large, high powered pieces of equipment designed for large pipes and high output. Jetting is very effective. Many You Tube vids on this.

If nothing else, at least you know this product exists and if you have a power washer and a clogged drain this is an option.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085WJ4GWG/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I had a downspout that I used that same principle with to unclog maple seedlings that had backed up due to a sharp bend. Worked like a champ.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Final product. Extends the drainage another 35'. Dumps into a dry ditch. Hopefully I should have no more draining problems from my gutter system.

IMG_2075 (Phone).JPEG

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Final product. Extends the drainage another 35'. Dumps into a dry ditch. Hopefully I should have no more draining problems from my gutter system.

View attachment 947039

My God, General, that picture is very telling. I can understand what you are talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread