How to Fix Stuff

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
Pipe Quiz:

I have four pipe ends from my house about 50' away from the corner of my house (see pix below). Been wanting to know where they were since I bought this house 17+ years ago. I was determined today and damn if I didn't find them after I issued an APB followed by an extensive search using a pick axe, shovel, small gardening pick, my giant leaf blower, a rake, loppers, some intuition, and a bit of luck. Anyway. I'm baffled. I have 8 downspouts on my house plus two drains for my AC units (one each). All 8+2 sources drain out of pipes 1, 2, or 3 (counting left to right on the photo). I'll be danged if I know what the 4th pipe is on the far right end. I have a septic field but I cannot imagine there would be any kind of drain line coming off that. Can't figure out what the hell it's for. I see a washout cap along the foundation exterior. I'm halfway contemplating pulling that cap and shoving the hose down it to see if that is the 4th line. But I'm pretty certain that is the main pipe for my septic system. Is there some kind of overflow drain for that? I'm no septic expert but I generally know how they work. Baffled!

View attachment 945673
Sump pump?

Reactions: Bronze

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I was fixin on changing the oil in my power washer in the fall before I use it the next time. Have never changed it yet but it’s due.
I lied. I did change it once a few years ago. I have a drain plug on my Generac power washer. It pours thru a hole in the frame. But I do have to elevate the unit for catch pan clearance.

Reactions: 440BB

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I have used a tool similar to this below since 1998 but I know that I didn't pay $109 for it. Mine is not this brand, the labels are off mine now so I can't what I have. Contrary to popular belief, it can fully evacuate oil from my generator, tractor and truck. It does not work well for tractor transmission fluid changes. In the Winter, it works better if the oil is a little warm.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200872380_200872380

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I lied. I did change it once a few years ago. I have a drain plug on my Generac power washer. It pours thru a hole in the frame. But I do have to elevate the unit for catch pan clearance.
I don't even want to tell you how long it's been since I changed it in mine. Since it's only used for a few hours each year, I kind of forget about it. To be honest, I only thought of it this time because it was apparently getting hot and shutting down after running only a few minutes. The oil was sludge. It's almost 20 years old, and I replaced the pump in it last year for about $40, because the motor was still running fine. Honda motors are incredible, and take tons of abuse. The Honda in my reel mower is also about 20 yrs. old, but gets serviced regularly, and still starts on first pull.

After looking around, I'm going to order this pump. Looks pretty good for pretty cheap.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lumax-Multi-Purpose-Hand-Transfer-Pump-LX-1345/302544982
upload_2021-6-19_9-57-9.png

Same price at HD as amazon, and I don't have to give Bezos any of my $.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I've been known to use a turkey baster with some tubing attached. The key is to clean it thoroughly and return it to it's drawer before one's wife finds out.:D

I have done the same when changing some fluid in my power steering unit which I do at each oil change. I did buy one of my own and left Mrs CMD's untouched.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I've been known to use a turkey baster with some tubing attached. The key is to clean it thoroughly and return it to it's drawer before one's wife finds out.:D
That's funny- believe it or not, when I was struggling to get more than a few tablespoons with each squeeze on my pump, I went into the kitchen to look for the baster, but couldn't find it. :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I don't even want to tell you how long it's been since I changed it in mine. Since it's only used for a few hours each year, I kind of forget about it. To be honest, I only thought of it this time because it was apparently getting hot and shutting down after running only a few minutes. The oil was sludge. It's almost 20 years old, and I replaced the pump in it last year for about $40, because the motor was still running fine. Honda motors are incredible, and take tons of abuse. The Honda in my reel mower is also about 20 yrs. old, but gets serviced regularly, and still starts on first pull.

After looking around, I'm going to order this pump. Looks pretty good for pretty cheap.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lumax-Multi-Purpose-Hand-Transfer-Pump-LX-1345/302544982
View attachment 946347

Yeah, we all get lazy. Truthfully it's a pretty lame excuse because the effort to do basic maintenance is minimal. The payback is high. Agree about Honda motors.

• Agree
Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I have done the same when changing some fluid in my power steering unit which I do at each oil change. I did buy one of my own and left Mrs CMD's untouched.
Which leaves you untouched. I would not want the Mrs to wack me over the head with a frying pan.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Yeah, we all get lazy. Truthfully it's a pretty lame excuse because the effort to do basic maintenance is minimal. The payback is high. Agree about Honda motors.

Here is a third to heap praise on Honda. When we moved to our current location, I kept the Honda mower. When my daughter bought a house, I tuned it up, changed the oil and it ran great for a couple years. She got sick of the associated maintenance, having gasoline around and I got sick of doing the maintenance. She got an EGO battery mower, we are both happy. She sold it at a neighborhood garage sale.

My Honda generator, no words are sufficient to describe how I like it. It is now fourteen years of age with the oil lovingly changed around May of every year even if used only a couple of hours. It only takes about half a quart. It has saved my hind quarters several times but most notably through two ice storms. One had power out for seventeen days.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I have used a tool similar to this below since 1998 but I know that I didn't pay $109 for it. Mine is not this brand, the labels are off mine now so I can't what I have. Contrary to popular belief, it can fully evacuate oil from my generator, tractor and truck. It does not work well for tractor transmission fluid changes. In the Winter, it works better if the oil is a little warm.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200872380_200872380

That is expensive but holds 1.7 gallons. I wonder if there’s a smaller less expensive model.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009

View attachment 946347

I had one similar to that I got at an auto parts store. It was junk. That one might be better.

• Informative
    Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I had one similar to that I got at an auto parts store. It was junk. That one might be better.
    Yeah, it probably isn't great, given the price, but it's bound to be a little better than the bulb squeeze one I have. Fingers crossed that it last thru at least a few changes.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    It is costly but when I was looking for something similar to mine I did some smaller and less expensive. A friend of mine bought the $43 model, blue - he likes it but only needs it a couple of times per year. Good for smaller engines.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200338119_200338119

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_465467_465467

The 3 quart one would be plenty for my mower or power washer. Heck even the bigger two cylinder engines on mowers usually only take about two quarts.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    That Sucks.

But at least you were Home when it Happened.
    Thanks for finding that silver lining. If it happened later today when we were at my Dad's it could have been feet of water instead of inches. Some towels washed over the main floor drain, blocking it.

Time to find some real high quality flex hoses and upgrade throughout the house. Such a small thing but only addressed by me when changing out fixtures. This was an SS hose and supposedly high grade but about 25 years old. I hope this helps someone else avoid walking down the steps to hear a gushing sound.

Users who are viewing this thread