How to Fix Stuff

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING (Dedicated to Rose :))

Is there anything worse in your life than when your AC craps out in the middle of summer? Perhaps, but not many. Here’s something you can do that could spare you several days of living in hell and save you big bucks at the same time. AC techs are busy in the summer and when you finally get a hold of one it will be days and big $$ to get him out.

The most common problem for ACs suddenly shutting down is capacitor failure. What is an AC capacitor? In a nutshell it is a soda can sized canister that stores high amounts of power in order to start the major components in your AC (fan and compressor). When the capacitor fails your AC is down. I’m taking a guess here but I’m willing to bet more than half of sudden AC failures is due to blown capacitors.

So what to do? Start by keeping a spare capacitor on hand. Why? Because then when your capacitor goes out (and it will go out before the rest of your AC goes out) you don’t have to take days chasing down a replacement and you can get it up and running quickly. A capacitor costs only about $15 and would be the best $15 you spent if it is 90 degrees outside and you’re dying inside. Check your manual for capacitor specs or take a picture of the label on the capacitor to get the specs. You can order them on Amazon. Or write me with the label photo and I’ll link you to the right one.

Is it hard to change out an AC capacitor? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! It’s actually quite simple and doesn’t take an HVAC Tech or electrician to do it. BTW, a tech will cost you between $250 and $300 to change out a capacitor. However, there are two very important safety precautions you MUST take. If you are unwilling to do these precautions because you think they are unimportant then don't bother fixing your AC. You're nothing but an accident looking for a place to happen. Call the man.
  1. Turn off the power to the unit.
  2. Discharge the capacitor after you have disconnected the power and before you touch the capacitor.
I wont get into the details of how to replace your capacitor. Instead, I will link you to a video which explains it better than I can here. The first 13-14 minutes is all you need to watch. As for diagnosing if your capacitor is shot, usually a visual inspection is all you need. A normally functioning capacitor has a totally flat top on it. When it fails, the top will be domed, bulging, disfigured, charred, or just flat out exploded. Even a slight bulge indicates your capacitor is shot. If that capacitor top is not clean and totally flat then it is highly likely shot. No need for a multimeter.

I Had to fix my a/c years ago,, my capacitor cost $35,,, which is Cheap in Houston humidity! -gladly pay $35 for a/c repair.

Anyway,,good job posting some tips for those willing to do the work themselves

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I Had to fix my a/c years ago,, my capacitor cost $35,,, which is Cheap in Houston humidity! -gladly pay $35 for a/c repair.

Anyway,,good job posting some tips for those willing to do the work themselves
That's an expensive capacitor. But far less than paying $275 to a repair guy. And a whole lot quicker to relief! :)

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
REPAIR WOOD BLINDS

Have expensive wood blinds? Are they boogered up? Want to unbooger them? Here are two videos. The first shows you how to replace the ladder strings (the strings that tilts the slats).. The second video shows you how to replace the pull string (the string that lowers and lifts the blinds). I also attached links for the strings. These are for 2" blinds.

I did this a few years ago. I have wood blinds all around the house. A couple of them got messed up. I didn't want to pay for new ones. They're not cheap. So I fixed them instead. It was worth it. Probably not worth doing on cheapy blinds. Just need a little patience.

Ladder String: https://www.amazon.com/Asia-Buy-Ladder-String-Blinds/dp/B07T9ZFJ33/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TCUKKW6A2QS1&keywords=ladder+string+for+wood+blinds&qid=1561137577&s=gateway&sprefix=Ladder+string,aps,141&sr=8-1

Lift String: https://www.amazon.com/40-Feet-Stri...r+wood+blinds&qid=1561138172&s=gateway&sr=8-5

shop around a little if something works better for you.

Ps,,, you can fill your bathtub about 6-8inches very soapy water and let your non-real wood blinds soak for a few hours , (may need to rinse and repeat a few times if really dirty)... Your blinds will look brand new.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
That's an expensive capacitor. But far less than paying $275 to a repair guy. And a whole lot quicker to relief! :)
Yeah,,, it was also the only capacitor I could find within 50+miles on a Saturday afternoon.....so,,, no complaints from me :) my husband was shocked I knew how to fix it ;)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Yeah,,, it was also the only capacitor I could find within 50+miles on a Saturday afternoon.....so,,, no complaints from me :) my husband was shocked I knew how to fix it ;)
I tell the ladies they can do these jobs and impress the hell out of their husbands. :)

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I tell the ladies they can do these jobs and impress the hell out of their husbands. :)

I've got a niece who owns all the power tools in the house. She even prefers getting tools for birthday/Christmas/anniversary gifts. Her husband wouldn't have a clue on how to use a drill yet alone a circular saw. But he does know how to use a shop vac. He's really .... about his yard looking perfect. He's the only person I know who sweeps the leaves/twigs/etc from the top of his mulched flower garden areas. Drives him nuts if his mulch is dirty.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I've got a niece who owns all the power tools in the house. She even prefers getting tools for birthday/Christmas/anniversary gifts. Her husband wouldn't have a clue on how to use a drill yet alone a circular saw. But he does know how to use a shop vac. He's really .... about his yard looking perfect. He's the only person I know who sweeps the leaves/twigs/etc from the top of his mulched flower garden areas. Drives him nuts if his mulch is dirty.
:facepalm:

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I prefer for my husband to NOT know all my true capacities.

Like yardwork I am SO good at yardwork. My dad made me like EVERY weekend growing up. We were selling the crack house and running out of time. I grabbed all the yard tools I could find and just fixed our yard completely one weekend.

I was visiting. I felt guilty.

Sadly, this was due to the housing bubble, our house did not sell (I TOLD the husband) but not only does my husband now know I do yardwork, we have a bankruptcy on record.

I am not going to include the answer to: How to sell your house.

Although I will say if ours does NOT sell, I am going to kill me, probably. We just put down 2.5 k on 5k of a New Roof.

All our roofing contractors wanted to know if it was leaking "yet." Unless they say that to EVERYONE I think they were rather sincere. Our realtor was like, "Um yeah you gotta do it" and her husband is a contractor, so....

I just pray the septic tank isn't much. I mean, it's small. That could be good OR bad I think.

I also MAY have an idea about how you empty a septic tank but would do it ON PAIN OF DEATH those guys aren't cheap but if you ask me they DESERVE it.

Anna

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I prefer for my husband to NOT know all my true capacities.

Like yardwork I am SO good at yardwork. My dad made me like EVERY weekend growing up. We were selling the crack house and running out of time. I grabbed all the yard tools I could find and just fixed our yard completely one weekend.

I was visiting. I felt guilty.

Sadly, this was due to the housing bubble, our house did not sell (I TOLD the husband) but not only does my husband now know I do yardwork, we have a bankruptcy on record.

I am not going to include the answer to: How to sell your house.

Although I will say if ours does NOT sell, I am going to kill me, probably. We just put down 2.5 k on 5k of a New Roof.

All our roofing contractors wanted to know if it was leaking "yet." Unless they say that to EVERYONE I think they were rather sincere. Our realtor was like, "Um yeah you gotta do it" and her husband is a contractor, so....

I just pray the septic tank isn't much. I mean, it's small. That could be good OR bad I think.

I also MAY have an idea about how you empty a septic tank but would do it ON PAIN OF DEATH those guys aren't cheap but if you ask me they DESERVE it.

Anna
$225 here. Worth every penny. :)

• Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
$225 here. Worth every penny. :)

That seems super cheap I seem to remember my mom's being thousands. Of course I think she had it like 10 years, no preventative maintenance, and maybe something happened to her leech field or something. It was also far, far larger than ours.

My mom doesn't understand houses. She doesn't seem to believe they need repair, ever. LOL. This is driving the kid crazy (he's living with her now and likes to keep stuff rolling.) So especially when something happens and she is out of town I get to her a lot of, "I need to get grandma to DO X OR WE WILL ALL DIE."

Heh. I gave up long ago. When she sold her Tucson house me and the husband had to replace most of the tile in the kitchen because she allowed a sink leak to continue for over 6 months before asking my husband to fix it. He had offered many, many times to fix it prior to that time...

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
That seems super cheap I seem to remember my mom's being thousands. Of course I think she had it like 10 years, no preventative maintenance, and maybe something happened to her leech field or something. It was also far, far larger than ours.

My mom doesn't understand houses. She doesn't seem to believe they need repair, ever. LOL. This is driving the kid crazy (he's living with her now and likes to keep stuff rolling.) So especially when something happens and she is out of town I get to her a lot of, "I need to get grandma to DO X OR WE WILL ALL DIE."

Heh. I gave up long ago. When she sold her Tucson house me and the husband had to replace most of the tile in the kitchen because she allowed a sink leak to continue for over 6 months before asking my husband to fix it. He had offered many, many times to fix it prior to that time...

Anna

How did you fix it?

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

Anna
It costs only $225/$250 to pump a septic tank. If there is something wrong with the system itself then that's another story. My house is 21 years old and this was the first time I had it pumped. If there were a kids in the house it would have been sooner.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have no clue how the husband fixed the spigot, I think he wound up replacing it (it was leaking from the base.)

As to the tile, we pried up what we could and hammered the rest of it into like submissive, tiny pieces so we got all of them. We then lifted and scraped everything (I believe there was also solvent involved, for the tile glue) so like we had a nice even playing field to glue down the new tile.

Fortunately for my mother, they had left (the builders) a bunch of tile and carpet remnants, or it would have been a lot harder.

Anna

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    It costs only $225/$250 to pump a septic tank. If there is something wrong with the system itself then that's another story. My house is 21 years old and this was the first time I had it pumped. If there were a kids in the house it would have been sooner.

How did you know it was time to pump it? Was there a back up or something?

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    How did you know it was time to pump it? Was there a back up or something?
    Toilets started to become sluggish. Figured that was the precursor to a backup. Also after 21 years I suspected it was time. And my neighbors had been getting theirs pumped the last couple years. Wasn't gonna be long and since it took 21 years to fill I'm figuring I will never have to pump this system again.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Dang, new computer, and the sensitive touch pad makes me do weird things. Meant to use the quote above, and post this:

I'm sure it needed repairs - just pumping it isn't expensive. Roots can cause real expensive damage, though. IIRC, they do have a finite lifetime, but I think it's far over 10 years.

I don't have septic, but learned from helping with my Mom's house many years ago that septic systems can deal with lots of people in the house more easily than they can laundry. All the fibers in the lint removed just don't break down like tp & other waste. My sister in law would bring a month's worth of laundry, and do it all weekend. Caused problems every time. Also learned that flushing those enzymes every month to speed the breakdown process really helps prevent trouble.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014
    One expensive septic system repair has to do with the distribution box. Back in 2015 it cost me $2k to have that fixed on a house I was selling. That was a low end price for the work.

Here’s info on the septic system d-box:

“A conventional septic system is composed of the septic tank and the drain field. The drain field is where the last stage of wastewater treatment system takes place. It is the area of effluent purification and distribution. An essential part of the drain field is the distribution box. If you think about it, its name gives it away. It is a structure that connects the effluent pipeline from your septic tank to the lateral line, seepage pit, or galley networks.

The distribution box or d-box regulates the dispersion of the treated effluent. It is a must for the d-box to remain properly installed. If it’s tilted or clogged, it will only distribute the effluent on one part of the drain field. it will eventually result to the bursting out or overloading of the effluent onto the surface of the yard. Like the rest of the septic system, you should have the distribution box regularly inspected because. It is very prone to clogging and saturation. If you knew that the drain field has been flooded before, then you should get ready for a malfunctioning system pretty soon. To prevent that, talk to your septic expert immediately.”

What is a septic system distribution box?

Users who are viewing this thread