How to Fix Stuff

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Here it is and this is the lowest level yet. Very little water left in it. In case it isn't clear, the whole pic is the pond. Only has a little water left on one end. That is the deeper end so perhaps it does need to be dug out more.

View attachment 825429

Do you have any idea where the leak may be located? Or is the problem just general seepage through the soil? Either way, a friend of mine and I fixed a leaking pond in a very old fashioned way, his idea not mine. Now, he knew basically where the leak was by the shape of the pool and that the water never got below a certain level. It seemed to be a crack in the bottom of the shallow end, his theory. We got loads of hay and straw. We took days to haul it in and spread it around the area about eighteen inches deep, starting from the front where the pond held water back to the tapering off point which was where the leak was. It was much the same layout as you have on your pond. Then he got some cattle and put them in that area of his farm. The cattle mixed mud, straw, hay pretty deeply into the earth over several weeks. When it rained and the creek filled it, it held. That was over fifty years ago in '65 and how long that worked, I don't know, I left for Kentucky and his farm had a Katz Drug Store on it last time I saw that area. I know it worked for several years.

He said he got the idea from the Egyptians who made mortar and brick in a similar fashion. He said their stuff held up pretty good. It would be cheaper than a liner. Got any pigs, hay, straw and hard work? There you have it from a guy who just followed directions.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Do you have any idea where the leak may be located? Or is the problem just general seepage through the soil? Either way, a friend of mine and I fixed a leaking pond in a very old fashioned way, his idea not mine. Now, he knew basically where the leak was by the shape of the pool and that the water never got below a certain level. It seemed to be a crack in the bottom of the shallow end, his theory. We got loads of hay and straw. We took days to haul it in and spread it around the area about eighteen inches deep, starting from the front where the pond held water back to the tapering off point which was where the leak was. It was much the same layout as you have on your pond. Then he got some cattle and put them in that area of his farm. The cattle mixed mud, straw, hay pretty deeply into the earth over several weeks. When it rained and the creek filled it, it held. That was over fifty years ago in '65 and how long that worked, I don't know, I left for Kentucky and his farm had a Katz Drug Store on it last time I saw that area. I know it worked for several years.

He said he got the idea from the Egyptians who made mortar and brick in a similar fashion. He said their stuff held up pretty good. It would be cheaper than a liner. Got any pigs, hay, straw and hard work? There you have it from a guy who just followed directions.
Maybe she can rent a herd of cattle from Farm & Fleet.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014

Brilliant! Some of the old, old ways are still the best ways. Even if this doesn’t work for Rose, I enjoyed reading about it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um are you raising fish to EAT? If it's not decorative? (I have seen that attempted many times but never successfully but I AM in AZ so it's fair to say... It's kind of hard.)

If it was decorative I would have said "Just let it die" but now.... I have no clue.

I actually came on here with a question since site help and feedback isn't really getting me any help. My stupid alerts, every time I go back to the "alerts" page the "new" alerts that should stay "new" and untouched until I SAY so damnit, are like attaching themselves to the alerts page every time I click backwards. It's driving me batty. This happened once before and it fixed itself some how but I have no clue how It's a new computer but I think I have like the same os and browser edge, yeah yeah I know I am compromising all of my and proabably ya'll safety changing themes doesn't change it, IDK what to do. Gah.

Anna

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I don't think it is a 'leak', more likely seepage.

Thanks for the laughs. I'll be sure and check for pig or cow rentals.

Anna, it is decorative, I don't raise fish. Pond has a lot of frogs though and I love listening to them at night. I hope they don't all die off due to lack of water in the pond, that would be sad. Guess I should buy a small kiddie pool and fill it with water.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Mosquitos though.

I am one who gets those giant raised red marks. I had a long argument with the husband one time about like, the dog big water bowl being full and then splashed all around. They grow in ANYTHING. I seriously thought it would be nice (for me)if the dog were like, offered a drink every couple of hours.

I hope it does stay together. I just always hear about liners being the thing. IDK.

I'm still waiting for my fix too, do not lose hope!

Anna

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    OoOH thanks to NONE of you (BTW or me either) my stupid alert thing is working!!!!

Maybe it was a site wide thing and you were all being QUIET or something. Maybe who KNOWS but it's working now maybe it's because I put my cart away at Walmart even thought I did not want to EVEN slightly (I have such a THING about that. I hate doing it. I know it is for the good of ALL. But much of the time I want what is for the good of ME, especially when I have found the perfect parking place, only there's some great fat cart in it and I think "I can get out and move it or I could TRY moving it with my car" and then I think "video cameras" and like all that happens.

Maybe just posting in the thread fixes SOME STUFF because if there is something metaphysical going on I sure want to be in the know.

Experiment: I am going to try one. I would like my ex to somehow notify me when he has died, so I can mourn (super briefly) then stop worrying forever.

Oh right though that's that other kind of "Fix" but IDK. He could have a big, fat life insurance policy waiting for me and that's why he called and texted that weird time asking for my DOB "for via issues" which made NO sense so I did not give it to him. He sounded more like he was ordering a hit.

Sorry, carry on. Well, it's a hole. You could just let the pond have a slow leak and hope it rains a lot.

Anna

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Anna, it rains every day here and a hard rain/thunderstorms. So I don't think it is going to fill up anytime soon.

And for the rest of you, no I am not gonna fill the pond with beer cause it would all leak out. Maybe AFTER you fix it, we'll see.

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
    Anna, it rains every day here and a hard rain/thunderstorms. So I don't think it is going to fill up anytime soon.

And for the rest of you, no I am not gonna fill the pond with beer cause it would all leak out. Maybe AFTER you fix it, we'll see.
    You may want to hire an excavator..purchase clay and rock shards... Get the excavator to clear the base.... Then compound the base with rock shards &clay.. Pretty costly for some. You would have more success if you know the profile of nearly every foot of your pond. If it raining all the time and not holding any water then you have to go clay and rock. For a few frogs maybe just design a small koi pond instead. I hope you find a solution..i really like frogs & turtles

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Today, with the help of "Startpage" and "youtube" I am going to fix the RIO (Reverse Implement Operation) on a john Deere. I have my jumper wire made and have read and watched a bunch of videos, I think that I am ready to permanently be able to use the mower deck in reverse without having to become a contortionist.
    For those who wonder, the RIO shuts off any implement when you put the tractor in reverse. There is an over ride switch but managing that and looking over my shoulder gets harder each year. I am going to eliminate the need for an over ride.

Users who are viewing this thread