How to Fix Stuff

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I put a very light coating of silicone grease on the spring before I slid it back. I hope that next time I change those devils in the kitchen it will be easier.

I love the youtube, so much good stuff.

CHANGING A LIGHT BULB IN A RECESSED FIXTURE

Here's one I bet perplexes people. Some recessed fixtures (mostly seen in bathrooms and kitchens) don't have exposed bulbs (floods or spots). Some simply have a round glass that essentially mounts flat against the ceiling and is held in with a frame or escutcheon. The bulb goes out and folks cannot figure out how to change the bulb. Here is a video that shows how. So next time you need to change out one of these bulbs, don't just start yanking and cranking on the thing. Simply grab around the frame and gently pull it down a few inches to access the bulb. The frame is held up by (at least) two wire springs Then simply push it back in place.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    CHANGING A LIGHT BULB IN A RECESSED FIXTURE

Here's one I bet perplexes people. Some recessed fixtures (mostly seen in bathrooms and kitchens) don't have exposed bulbs (floods or spots). Some simply have a round glass that essentially mounts flat against the ceiling and is held in with a frame or escutcheon. The bulb goes out and folks cannot figure out how to change the bulb. Here is a video that shows how. So next time you need to change out one of these bulbs, don't just start yanking and cranking on the thing. Simply grab around the frame and gently pull it down a few inches to access the bulb. The frame is held up by (at least) two wire springs Then simply push it back in place.

BTW, this dude pulled a broken light socket out with pliers. If you have to do the same, please turn the power off at the circuit breaker before you do so. If you don't, there is a very good chance you zap yourself.

And also, if the cover is frosted glass, you can use an uncoated bulb for a little xtra brightness.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    REPAIR YOUR FLUORESCENT LIGHT

Lights dim, don't come on, or flicker? Put new bulbs in and the same thing? Tired of it? Fix it! Your ballast is shot and it's an easy fix. Ballasts generally last 5 - 10 years, some more if you're lucky. The video below shows how to do it. Forgive the guy for standing sideways the first minute of the video. He does stand up straight eventually. He has a fluorescent fixture on his work table for better filming. You don't have to take your fixture off the ceiling. He does a good job explaining how to fix it. The only thing I will add is how to find the replacement ballast. There is a part number on every ballast. It's almost always in big bold print and you can't miss it. Get the number off your old ballast before you take it off and do an Amazon search (or similar) for that same number. Presto! Lastly, do not forget to turn the power off to the light before you begin to work. This job probably takes only 20 - 30 minutes and all you are doing is wiring the new one exactly the same as the old one. No big deal. Anyone can do it.

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 17, 2012
    Arizona
    Well this thread is brilliant!

I actually have a handle to my dishwasher that cracked and now rattles a bit. What’s the etiquette here? Do I post pictures and information? Or wait till someone says they will help me?

I’ll take some pic while I’m waiting to see how this unfolds :)

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 17, 2012
    Arizona
    300F9491-3482-44E7-A41E-3E13D0C1796F.jpeg
    Ok I’m just going to go explain it and post the picture:

There used to be a plastic spacer of sorts between the handle and the door, covering the screw and maintaining pressure on the handle to stabilize it. I’m not sure how it happened, but that spacer part cracked and fell off, it was just plastic. I’m fairly certain it was mother’s fault but we don’t need to pass around blame at this point.

Do I just look for a replacement part and then screw the handle back on? It jiggles and drives me nuts (although it is purely aesthetic, the dishwasher is perfectly functional)

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    View attachment 822455 Ok I’m just going to go explain it and post the picture:

There used to be a plastic spacer of sorts between the handle and the door, covering the screw and maintaining pressure on the handle to stabilize it. I’m not sure how it happened, but that spacer part cracked and fell off, it was just plastic. I’m fairly certain it was mother’s fault but we don’t need to pass around blame at this point.

Do I just look for a replacement part and then screw the handle back on? It jiggles and drives me nuts (although it is purely aesthetic, the dishwasher is perfectly functional)
    What brand dishwasher is it? And about how old?

Reactions: stols001

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    View attachment 822461 View attachment 822459 It’s a Bosch and probably 5 yrs old.

I believe this is the part I need:209

Would I need any other parts?
    Probably. Some of these handles are pretty easy to fix/replace, others can be a pain. Look at the sticker on your dishwasher and give me the model number. The sticker is likely on the face of the outside. Open the door and take a look around. It's gotta be there somewhere.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Yeah, 209 would be the part. My best guess is you can take that inner door cover off (without having to take the whole door off) and get to the back of that bolt that holds the handle on. Probably need a torx driver to remove the screws holding on the door cover (send another closeup picture of the screw head(s) holding that inner cover on. Can buy one of those at Lowes for cheap. Just get the right size torx screwdriver. Probably a #20. Here, look at this video. Should give you a good idea how it is done.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Well that sure looks easy enough! I’ll order the parts and get to work. I’m pretty sure I have a Torx 20.

Thank you!
    Just pay attention to how it came off so you know how it goes back on. Remove stuff as gently as you can so parts n stuff don't go flying around that you are unaware of where they came from. EZPZ.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Just pay attention to how it came off so you know how it goes back on. Remove stuff as gently as you can so parts n stuff don't go flying around that you are unaware of where they came from. EZPZ.

Cell phone camera every step of the way.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    REPAIR WOOD BLINDS

Have expensive wood blinds? Are they boogered up? Want to unbooger them? Here are two videos. The first shows you how to replace the ladder strings (the strings that tilts the slats).. The second video shows you how to replace the pull string (the string that lowers and lifts the blinds). I also attached links for the strings. These are for 2" blinds.

I did this a few years ago. I have wood blinds all around the house. A couple of them got messed up. I didn't want to pay for new ones. They're not cheap. So I fixed them instead. It was worth it. Probably not worth doing on cheapy blinds. Just need a little patience.

Ladder String: https://www.amazon.com/Asia-Buy-Ladder-String-Blinds/dp/B07T9ZFJ33/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TCUKKW6A2QS1&keywords=ladder+string+for+wood+blinds&qid=1561137577&s=gateway&sprefix=Ladder+string,aps,141&sr=8-1

Lift String: https://www.amazon.com/40-Feet-Stri...r+wood+blinds&qid=1561138172&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Shop around a little if something works better for you.

Nermal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    I remember talking to my dad, looking at options for investment. Amazon came up and he said they were losing money on every sale and would be a lousy investment :rolleyes:

What coulda been :confused:

Great idea for a thread, watching (and researching capacitors for my AC unit :thumb:)
    So, we should all invest in Tesla?

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    REMOVE BATHROOM MIRROR FROM WALL

I needed to re-caulk around the top of the back splash around the bathroom sink. Because I'm somewhat ...., I wanted to re-caulk around the entire back splash...side and back. Only problem is the wall mirror had to come down so I could access the work area. I looked at it and thought, "No problemo". Except it wasn't obvious how to do it. Now, some loony installers glue the mirror to the wall. How dumb! Taking a glued mirror off a wall is a nightmare. Fortunately, I believe most mirrors are attached to the wall using clips. Some clips have screws you can take out from the front and it's obvious how to to remove them. But one of the more common clips has two on the bottom that are fixed and two on the top that slide up so you can tilt the mirror toward you and lift up to remove. Then when you go to put the mirror back on you just reverse the procedure. One of my top clips needed a little persuasion so I put the screwdriver under the clip and slightly tapped it with a hammer. Be careful. Hammers and mirrors are not the best of friends. This video gives you an idea.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    REMOVE BATHROOM MIRROR FROM WALL

I needed to re-caulk around the top of the back splash around the bathroom sink. Because I'm somewhat ...., I wanted to re-caulk around the entire back splash...side and back. Only problem is the wall mirror had to come down so I could access the work area. I looked at it and thought, "No problemo". Except it wasn't obvious how to do it. Now, some loony installers glue the mirror to the wall. How dumb! Taking a glued mirror off a wall is a nightmare. Fortunately, I believe most mirrors are attached to the wall using clips. Some clips have screws you can take out from the front and it's obvious how to to remove them. But one of the more common clips has two on the bottom that are fixed and two on the top that slide up so you can tilt the mirror toward you and lift up to remove. Then when you go to put the mirror back on you just reverse the procedure. One of my top clips needed a little persuasion so I put the screwdriver under the clip and slightly tapped it with a hammer. Be careful. Hammers and mirrors are not the best of friends. This video gives you an idea.

Yes, sometimes it pays to know what you're getting into. Our house is 15 years old, and I was going to replace the backsplash. I do & fix most things around the house, and had done a little bit of tile work maybe 15 years ago with my brother, who did tile installation for a while, so I figured I could do this easy. Bought the tile, tile saw, nippers, grout, etc. Watched about 40 videos on how to remove the old tile. Lots of methods, all looked pretty easy.

Luckily, I figured I'd start in a small area - the butler's pantry. I quickly learned that none of the people in the videos were facing what I was. It was utterly impossible to remove the tile without totally destroying the drywall behind. And I don't mean slight damage. Every piece of tile that came off brought the entire piece of drywall behind it. I figured, I was ready to make a mess, and skimcoat the whole thing, but wasn't willing to remove all the drywall, about 50' sq., and replace it. I learned finishing my basement before that I don't like drywall work, and knew safely removing all of it was more than I wanted to do. And even if I was inclined, I'm kind of .... myself and not the fastest worker. My wife wouldn't have stood for dealing with the mess that long.

Got bids from contractors, and picked one. I asked him how he was going to remove the tile, and he told me he was going to remove the entire walls, down to the studs - that if the original tiles were installed directly on drywall, with no primer or paint, it was basically impossible to remove the tile without taking out all of the drywall. Lesson learned. The installation might be easy, but the demo was hard!

So I returned everything but the tile, and now I'm in the middle doing something I know I can do start to finish - painting all the stained wood kitchen cabinets white, saving over $6,000.

Users who are viewing this thread