How to Fix Stuff

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
If you ever do ball joints, get this press kit from Advanced Auto. The best press kit I have found. You buy it and then they refund all your money if you return it in 45 days.

Powerbuilt Kit 46
IMG_0101 (Small).jpeg

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
If you ever do ball joints, get this press kit from Advanced Auto. The best press kit I have found. You buy it and then they refund all your money if you return it in 45 days.

Powerbuilt Kit 46
View attachment 957675

General, If you ever read on here that I am going to do a ball joint, please call 911 - I will have gone over the edge. But that is a heck of a deal and it works!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
General, If you ever read on here that I am going to do a ball joint, please call 911 - I will have gone over the edge. But that is a heck of a deal and it works!
It looks far more complicated than it is. I'll only use a handful of the parts out of that tool kit. It's a big kit cuz it handles a wide variety of applications.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Hello. Haven’t posted in ages. Still vaping and you’ve always been very helpful with my car, wall, vaping (and many more things)
Question today is guitars
I’m sure there are guitarists. In fact there is avi and pics of beautiful pieces of equipment so hopefully a guitarist sees this
0AC58962-0398-47B8-B24B-930FAC57844D.jpeg

im one of those guys who has been a beginner for 15 years
They are clones of the real deal but great while I learn.
The tele is perfect but the strat has problems
Im learning Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Lenny and I want to use my strat for the tremolo.
It doesn’t hold tune on any string for more than 10 seconds. It always slips loads after a couple days the strings are more like cooked spaghetti

any one have any ideas what could be the issue?
(I’ve tightened the heads and that’s all really)

many thanks if any body has any ideas
Thank you

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello. Haven’t posted in ages. Still vaping and you’ve always been very helpful with my car, wall, vaping (and many more things)
    I’m sure there are guitarists. In fact there is avi and pics of beautiful pieces of equipment so hopefully a guitarist sees this
    View attachment 958259
    Im learning Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Lenny and I want to use my strat for the tremolo.
    It doesn’t hold tune on any string for more than 10 seconds. It always slips loads after a couple days the strings are more like cooked spaghetti

Thank you

I wish I could help. I’m a long time beginner as well. I took some lessons as an adult years ago but hardly touch my guitars any more. No solid reason. I’ll see if I can do a little research and see if I can help.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    View attachment 958259

Thank you

I wish I could help. I’m a long time beginner as well. I took some lessons as an adult years ago but hardly touch my guitars any more. No solid reason. I’ll see if I can do a little research and see if I can help.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture

thanks so much. Yeah, get your guitar out :)
    I’m really enjoying it again. Being around loads of guitarists my school years and having them in the house all the time and messing around has made it easier to progress I think

jimi hendrix
    Stevie ray vaughan
    John frusciante I love

(also some of these young guys on YouTube are insanely skilled imo ichaka nito/tim Henson etc)

who are your faves?

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    thanks so much. Yeah, get your guitar out :)
    I’m really enjoying it again. Being around loads of guitarists my school years and having them in the house all the time and messing around has made it easier to progress I think

jimi hendrix
    Stevie ray vaughan
    John frusciante I love

(also some of these young guys on YouTube are insanely skilled imo ichaka nito/tim Henson etc)

who are your faves?

SRV is a favorite. I never tried to learn any of his stuff but like some of Joe Bonamassa stuff. When I took lessons it was all the old rock, some newer stuff, and whatever I was listening to at the time.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    View attachment 958259

Thank you

@DaveP is an avid player. Maybe he would have some suggestions?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    View attachment 958259

Thank you
    SRV :thumb:

To me, it sounds like your tremolo needs a proper setup. Especially true with Strat clones that weren't properly setup to begin with. If you are handy you might be able to setup the tremolo yourself. There are many YouTube videos showing how and also instructions at several websites.

Or you could take it to a guitar luthier to have it properly setup. Frankly, it could just be a crappy trem. You might need a better quality one. Tell him/her how you are planning to use a trem. Your luthier will know and be able to advise you best.

If lightly using a trem, installing locking tuners will help with tuning stability. I have them on a couple of my guitars.

If cranking on a trem is your thing then nothing will beat a quality tremolo system.

With that in mind have a look at a Floyd Rose locking trem. Also look up how they are installed on a Strat. They are among the most stable tremolo systems. A FR system completely overrides the machine heads on your guitar by locking your strings in a fixed position. A FR will allow you to crank on the trem and remain in tune (to a point).

The Ibanez Edge III locking trem system is another one to look at. Same kind of quality and performance as a regular FR.

Hope that helps.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    @ShowMeTwice

thanks a lot for your help. I’ll check all those things (what I can do anyhow, and there is a guitar repair/shop only 5min walk) but as a replica all them years ago probably more cost effective to buy another if I can’t do it at home

Out of interest (so I can snoop) what is your favourite guitar in general? And also for srv sound you use a fender strat?
    Also, do you have any or would recommend any particular cheaper (or imitation squire kind of price) guitars to practice.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    @ShowMeTwice

thanks a lot for your help. I’ll check all those things (what I can do anyhow, and there is a guitar repair/shop only 5min walk) but as a replica all them years ago probably more cost effective to buy another if I can’t do it at home

Out of interest (so I can snoop) what is your favourite guitar in general? And also for srv sound you use a fender strat?
    Also, do you have any or would recommend any particular cheaper (or imitation squire kind of price) guitars to practice.
    You can do a Pete Townshend on it in case you can't fix it. :D

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @ShowMeTwice

I've had a lot of guitars and gear over the years. More than I'll say. My favorite guitar was an old Fender Strat. I gave it to my niece a while back. Got her started on playing guitar when she was pretty young. I told her I'd give her my Strat if she ever got serious and truly learned how to play. She got extremely serious, can kick my azz around the block on guitar and now plays in several different bands.

Guitar is not my main instrument though. Keyboards and saxophones are. I started on piano in the first grade. Then came sax. Then guitar. Also play Native American flutes and the Akai EWI. I studied classical music at local music conservatory but that was mainly for further developing my technique on piano and sax. I had a good guitar teacher there too. Played in a lot of bands over the years, all kinds of music.

Lol, I've never tried to play any SRV. Lead guitar is not my thing. Basic lead work, sure. SRV? No. I'm a rhythm guitarist first and foremost.

If I were you, I would go to Welcome to Sweetwater.com and look at guitars that best suit your price range. They're a great company who helps beginners all the way to some very well known pro's. Also a lot recording studio and live music gear. They have it all. They are truly the premier musical instrument company in the USA.

Your sales person at Sweetwater is very well trained in all that is current. Sweetwater prides itself on the checks and setups they do on guitars before sending yours out the door.

There are many quality guitars there that I think you would be happy with and will fit your budget.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    @ShowMeTwice

you sound an experienced musician. Has been your profession too or just a strong passion?
    Any of your bands/stuff ever recorded. Maybe you or somebody uploaded somewhere?

Is this the bit where you tell me I can hear your rhythm on a black sabbath album?
    Or your sax is on jazz fm radio every day

I’m English but thanks for the recommendation, I will browse out of interest regardless.
    As a beginner I’ve figured that if I can get good on cheaper imitations, when I’m let loose on the big toys I’ll be shredding like slash

Last edited:
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Has been your profession too or just a strong passion?
    A very strong passion but wasn't my actual profession.

Any of your bands/stuff ever recorded.
    Yes, a few things professionally recorded.

I’m English but thanks for the recommendation, I will browse out of interest regardless.
    Browsing Sweetwater will help you find a decent guitar. I'm fairly certain whichever guitar you find at Sweetwater will very likely be available in the UK.

Is this the bit where you tell me I can hear your rhythm on a black sabbath album?
    Or your sax is on jazz fm radio every day
    No and no. :lol:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I second Sweetwater. I bought a Yamaha digital piano there for my oldest daughter. They have great customer service.

My first electric guitar and really still my favorite is a Mexico made strat that has a tuner built into the pick guard. I also have a 50th anniversary strat deluxe with gold hardware but didn’t play it much. I wanted to keep it in like new condition. Silly I know.

My oldest wanted to learn some guitar so I got her a fender acoustic electric for a decent price at Guitar center. It has good sound for a 300 guitar.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @Zutankhamun, these are a few of the photo's I've shared with others on ECF. And they are only part of my keyboard rig. The pics are from my home studio. It is in complete disarray atm as I am in the process of rewiring it. Which has turned into a bigger job than I thought it would be. :lol:
    IMG_0010cr.jpg

That's ^^^ my tenor sax in its case. EMU (top) and Kurzweil (bottom) kybd's. And gallons of PG/VG, cuz I do vape, lolz.
    IMG_0008cr.jpg

My main ^^^ 88 key Kurzweil. A freakin' PIA to lug around. The tiny 02 kybd on top I only use for sending MIDI commands.
    IMG_0004cr.jpg

A small portion of my rack gear ^^^ all connected via MIDI with the kybd's. There are other keyboards in their cases and other racked gear. Those need to stay there until I finish rewiring. I have a fairly large MIDI setup that I run through a couple Mac's. Along with a very extensive sound library on a RAID array. All audio outs go to a MOTU interface and then to one of two Mac's. I have a 1600 watt PA setup for rehearsals.

Did I mention I have G.A.S. ??? All musicians do. :D

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    Brilliant :lol:.
    I think I have a small bit of beginner g a s then
    Ableton/pt, maudio 88, a couple little midi
    A ukulele, a bass, three acoustics (one bought 3 months ago) and those two you’ve seen. Senheissers, Komplete and various downloaded virtual instruments samples etc
    Studio monitors and more leads than I remember how to use

And I’m absolutely awful at using every single one of those :thumbs:
    I haven’t been recorded yet

Ps. That’s a great setup you have. Is there anyway I could listen to anything you have been part of. I understand if not, would be cool though.
    Cheers for your help

I think I’ve got the bug again… it’s 02:10 where I am and have just been listening to bb king thrill is gone. Now I’m reading the tab thinking about getting out of bed to play. neighbours and their jobs with early starts are really holding me back

anyway this thread is for help fixing things so I’ll pipe down now
    Good song that though…

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    View attachment 958259

Thank you

I've owned a couple of guitars with Vibrato tail pieces over the years and sold them for the same reason. The pivot point is the issue with almost all of them, especially Fender tailpieces. Gibson uses the Bigsby tailpiece and those are better designed than the Fender. Tuning is critical and a hard tail bridge will maintain tuning much better.

I'm sure there's a fix for any vibrato tailpiece, but I just changed to hard tails and got rid of the tuning problems. I use light gauge strings that I can bend easily and forget the vibrato.

There are effects pedals with similar effects that will allow you to mimic vibrato without tuning issues. With those you just use the pedal to get a true mimic of the vibrato tail piece. I use the Zoom GFX-707 and I'm happy with the effects and the pedal action.

I have a Fender Strat and a Fender Tele. These days I'm playing the Gibsons mostly for the tone and higher dual coil humbucker pickup output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread