How to Fix Stuff

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Glad you mentioned this I'd be thinking of getting this one for the main purpose of torquing 22.5 rims on my RV. A 400+pd wrench is pricey an bulky. I have a torque reducer that will either loosen or tighten but an torque wrench is recommended when using it. Oops forgot the link, lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GLITFW/ref=twister_B079ST5HMP?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

It does have a Surprisingly Good Rating.

BTW - What Torque Range are you supposed to be in for your RV Wheels? 150lbs is a Lot of Foot Pounds.

BTW2 - Be sure to put some of this Grey Glop on the Threads before you Tighten them.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Bottle/dp/B000FW7VGE

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    A Stout piece of Pipe does come in Handy every Now and Again.

The multipliers were attached and a torque wrench was used. So if they used a 100lb torque wrench then they suddenly had 400lb. The nuts they were turning were probably 8-12”.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    The multipliers were attached and a torque wrench was used. So if they used a 100lb torque wrench then they suddenly had 400lb. The nuts they were turning were probably 8-12”.

Yeah... Torque Multipliers are a Very Cool piece of Gearing. And sometimes crucial when swinging that Stout piece of Pipe Isn't possible. They can also be Kinda Pricey to buy.

I've only seen one Once. And that was years ago helping someone do some Motor Work on a Boat Engine. There was just No Way to swing a long enough Cheater down in the Bowels of his boat.

Nermal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    A place I worked at years ago had torque multipliers. There was a four and eight time’s multiplier they used on big stuff.
    Same here. At one time, I worked in a power plant where they were used fairly often. I think the were called Sweeny wrenches. Way overkill for anything you will ever find on cars or pickups. Also, way expensive.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Same here. At one time, I worked in a power plant where they were used fairly often. I think the were called Sweeny wrenches. Way overkill for anything you will ever find on cars or pickups. Also, way expensive.

I worked at a plastic injection molding plant when I first got out of the army and was doing maintenance there. They had a few of the multipliers. The ram cylinders on those machines were huge.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    It does have a Surprisingly Good Rating.

BTW - What Torque Range are you supposed to be in for your RV Wheels? 150lbs is a Lot of Foot Pounds.

BTW2 - Be sure to put some of this Grey Glop on the Threads before you Tighten them.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Bottle/dp/B000FW7VGE

It surprised me but 22.5 rims on trucks, buses and larger class A motorhomes, should be torqued to to around 450 fp

This is the the multiplier/reducer I have for emergency. We are not campground rats, lol. Usually we are at a federal, state, civil engineer or military camp site many miles from from neighbors and assistance.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...4lzdesgvMk_AHTI8M9AaAn5MEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I'd just hit it with an impact wrench and be done with it.:)
    Lots of people would. It would trigger my OCD. :)

I’m losing strength as I get older. I’m only good for about 140 ft/lbs with a torque wrench these days. Any more than that and I take out the cheater bar or position my legs to do the work.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It surprised me but 22.5 rims on trucks, buses and larger class A motorhomes, should be torqued to to around 450 fp

This is the the multiplier/reducer I have for emergency. We are not campground rats, lol. Usually we are at a federal, state, civil engineer or military camp site many miles from from neighbors and assistance.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200732635_200732635?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Hand Tools > Wrenches > Torque Wrenches&utm_campaign=Klutch&utm_content=57483&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhf2MBhDNARIsAKXU5GTvQ4jFfNpgPqMP1O-bUOHdBAaLeSi54QmS4lzdesgvMk_AHTI8M9AaAn5MEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yeah... I did a Quick Search after I posted that and was Shocked to see what Torque Recommendation were for 22.5" Rim

Holy Flinkering Snit. 450ft/lbs is a Lot of Torque. And then when the Lugs haven't be off for a couple of Seasons, add another 50lbs for Rust and or Corrosion. Unless the Lugs were Grey Glopped of course.

Sounds like a 5 Foot piece of Pipe to get them Off. And a Big Time Torque Wrench/Meter to get them Back On.

---

Hope everyone had a Good Thanksgiving. And got a Chance to See/Talk with Family and Friends.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Lots of people would. It would trigger my OCD. :)

I’m losing strength as I get older. I’m only good for about 140 ft/lbs with a torque wrench these days. Any more than that and I take out the cheater bar or position my legs to do the work.

I don't own an impact wrench I have a five foot iron pipe and my legs. When I put helper springs on the rear, I got torque near with the cheater and get the final few pounds with the torque wrench and brace my legs on something even if I just move Mrs CMD car into a position to give leverage. These days, I am with zoidman, anti-seize on most stuff because anything I may do in the future won't get any easier. For the helpers springs, I got new u-bolts, anti-seize and did it right. I think my ratio of frustration and fast work have tilted favorably to taking time and am more patient.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I don't own an impact wrench I have a five foot iron pipe and my legs. When I put helper springs on the rear, I got torque near with the cheater and get the final few pounds with the torque wrench and brace my legs on something even if I just move Mrs CMD car into a position to give leverage. These days, I am with zoidman, anti-seize on most stuff because anything I may do in the future won't get any easier. For the helpers springs, I got new u-bolts, anti-seize and did it right. I think my ratio of frustration and fast work have tilted favorably to taking time and am more patient.
    I’m getting to the age where I don’t think I will gain the benefits of using anti seize anymore…if you know what I mean. :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Tool Time

A shout out to Tekton tools. I had a few socket adapters from them and I liked them. Decided to get a 15 pc metric combination wrench set recently. Been using them the last few days. Very impressed! High quality, polished, and perfect fits. Beating the crap out of them too. These are Snap On quality for much less $$. Some of their stuff is made in Taiwan some in Michigan. They’re an American company.

Nermal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    I’m getting to the age where I don’t think I will gain the benefits of using anti seize anymore…if you know what I mean. :)
    If you're torqueing to spec, you do need thread lube, but I know what you mean. I'm hoping to outlast the last shirt I bought, but doubt I will need another car.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    If you're torqueing to spec, you do need thread lube, but I know what you mean. I'm hoping to outlast the last shirt I bought, but doubt I will need another car.
    It’s when you quit buying green bananas when you know your time is about up.

Users who are viewing this thread