How to Fix Stuff

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
lol, my thinking also, I tried to remove one with my impact wrench wouldn't budge
I've got an old one of these at work and it will make your life easier.:)
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW294-4-Inch-Impact-Wrench/dp/B0009HKLXU/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=3/4+impact+wrench&qid=1638783137&refinements=p_n_power_source_browse-bin:9060579011,p_89:DEWALT&rnid=2528832011&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-2#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div
Actually the one I have looks heavier duty, must be an industrial model.

Reactions: Bronze

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Is it time to chuck my old 2 1/4 ton trolly jack. One like pictured. It started to collapse slowly when I'd be using it. So I stopped using it ... duh! I did some youtube searching and tried 1.) pumping it to fully extend and pump a dozen more times to purge air and 2.) adding hydraulic/leak sealant fluid to it. Neither helped. When pumped up I could push it down with my hand. The while trying to fix it, I couldn't pump it up unless I put hand pressure on it, then I could raise it fully. But, if I kept pumping it would lower. I gave up on it and put it aside for the scrape metal guy who comes around occasionally.

But, before it is trashed any one have any other ideas. It's not expensive to replace and I may have more trust in a new one, then this one, even if I get it working again.

jack.jpeg

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Is it time to chuck my old 2 1/4 ton trolly jack. One like pictured. It started to collapse slowly when I'd be using it. So I stopped using it ... duh! I did some youtube searching and tried 1.) pumping it to fully extend and pump a dozen more times to purge air and 2.) adding hydraulic/leak sealant fluid to it. Neither helped. When pumped up I could push it down with my hand. The while trying to fix it, I couldn't pump it up unless I put hand pressure on it, then I could raise it fully. But, if I kept pumping it would lower. I gave up on it and put it aside for the scrape metal guy who comes around occasionally.

But, before it is trashed any one have any other ideas. It's not expensive to replace and I may have more trust in a new one, then this one, even if I get it working again.

View attachment 964427
Chuck it! I wouldn't trust my life and limb with it. Not after trying the fixes you did and it's still messed up. Probably bad seals.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Chuck it! I wouldn't trust my life and limb with it. Not after trying the fixes you did and it's still messed up. Probably bad seals.

I'm with Bronze. I'd Never feel comfortable using a Jack like that.

Done and done ... I felt the same way, just thought I'd ask before retiring it.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler

View attachment 964427

Yep sounds like a bad hydraulic cylinder you could research to see if its worth repairing and if parts are available or held hostage at the port.

Reactions: MikeE3

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I just built this project at a campground on a picnic table. The tools used a battery powered circular saw and brad nailer, pocket hole jig, and a speed square. I got a great deal on the lift Black Friday. Holding off finishing the lid cause my router is at home. I used 10.25" wide European Oak Flooring, glue and framed with premium 2x4s, but you could get by with 1x4s. Whole project was less than $800 below is the plans and a link on esty to what they are asking for them $2500 - $6500. Took me and my sexy helper two afternoons.

https://www.firgelliauto.com/blogs/news/how-to-build-a-tv-lift-cabinet

Mine looks similar to this but with a hinged lid:

Outdoor Hidden TV Lift Cabinet Weather Ready | Etsy

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Do you think that one of these copper/pvc pipe cutters would make a fairly clean cut in a 1/2" diameter, 0.5mm thin stainless steel tube? I used to have one and I know they make fairly clean cuts in copper, but not sure about thin SS.
It might. It’s a close call. I guess my thinking is what do you have to lose? Those are pretty inexpensive tools.

Try this.
Pipe Cutter [1/8" - 1 1/8"] Tube Cutter Tool for Copper Pipe, Stainless Steel Tubing, Metal, Plastic, Brass - Copper Pipe Cutter - Compact & Tight Space Rigid Tubing Cutter Set for Plumbing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZV5BX...abc_1P1AWBYV9AMG1WH8XBCJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
Do you think that one of these copper/pvc pipe cutters would make a fairly clean cut in a 1/2" diameter, 0.5mm thin stainless steel tube? I used to have one and I know they make fairly clean cuts in copper, but not sure about thin SS.
I'm thinking it might put a crimp on the end with it being pretty thin. Maybe a metal cutting disc in a chop saw?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Kinda Doubt It. But I'm with Bronze. 10 Bucks isn't exactly a deal breaker.

I would Saw or Dremel the tubing long. Then true up the End (if possible) with a File/Stone in a Poor Man's Lathe... A Drill Motor.

If the Cut End is Super Critical, "Corking" the Tubing with something like a Wooden Dowel can help to keep the Walls from Deforming or Crimping. But that can Many times become a project in and of itself.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Kinda Doubt It. But I'm with Bronze. 10 Bucks isn't exactly a deal breaker.

I would Saw or Dremel the tubing long. Then true up the End (if possible) with a File/Stone in a Poor Man's Lathe... A Drill Motor.

If the Cut End is Super Critical, "Corking" the Tubing with something like a Wooden Dowel can help to keep the Walls from Deforming or Crimping. But that can Many times become a project in and of itself.

BTW - If the OD of the Tubing is a True .500", sometimes using a Drill Collar can help if you are going to Saw it and the File the End by Hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Drixet-Drill...ix=1/2+drill+collar+set+screw,tools,95&sr=1-1

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
BTW - If the OD of the Tubing is a True .500", sometimes using a Drill Collar can help if you are going to Saw it and the File the End by Hand.
It should be. In the US, tubing size is based on the actual OD. Pipe sizes are determined by the nominal ID of the standard pipe schedule - which doesn't sound like a useful description, at all.

Users who are viewing this thread