How to Fix Stuff

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It should be. In the US, tubing size is based on the actual OD. Pipe sizes are determined by the nominal ID of the standard pipe schedule - which doesn't sound like a useful description, at all.

Yeah... I Kinda cracks Me up when I think of the Hodge Podge of Measuring Systems we use.

OD on some and ID on others. 2-x-4's that Aren't 2"-x-4". Or even the same size as what I bought when I was younger. Wires that get Smaller as the Gauge gets Bigger. And Don't even get me started on Nails.

LOL

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Was in a hurry (as I am now lol) so didn't give specifics. Has nothing to do with plumbing BTW. There's a reason want to use a pipe cutter over a saw or cut wheel. I need a straight clean cut with minimal debris.

Sure, $10 is small, but I vowed to never do plumbing work again so if it doesn't work it would be a total waste of $10, and money is tight here, as per usual.

Will try to update at a later time with pics.

Reactions: Bronze

kas122461

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 15, 2013
    Indiana, USA
    Was in a hurry (as I am now lol) so didn't give specifics. Has nothing to do with plumbing BTW. There's a reason want to use a pipe cutter over a saw or cut wheel. I need a straight clean cut with minimal debris.

Sure, $10 is small, but I vowed to never do plumbing work again so if it doesn't work it would be a total waste of $10, and money is tight here, as per usual.

Will try to update at a later time with pics.

I know that Ridgid tool company sells a version of that cutter you linked to, and they do make a cutter wheel that is made just for stainless. the normal wheels are just for softer tubing. My :2c:.

KAS

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Yeah... I Kinda cracks Me up when I think of the Hodge Podge of Measuring Systems we use.

OD on some and ID on others. 2-x-4's that Aren't 2"-x-4". Or even the same size as what I bought when I was younger. Wires that get Smaller as the Gauge gets Bigger. And Don't even get me started on Nails.

LOL
    Not to mention the Imperial system. Them British are funny people, aint they?

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I keep one of these in my toolbox at work to sharpen my pocket knife. So easy to do. Just drag the blade through the slot that holds two small stones at the right angle. It usually only takes a few pulls to get a knife sharp again.

Dottie Co L.h. KS1 Blade Sharpeners | Crescent Electric Supply Company (cesco.com)
    I use a similar sharpener for down and dirty sharpening. Takes no skill but does a decent job. A bit back I bought a whetstone for hand sharpening. Once you get the rhythm it's not too hard and leaves a fantastic edge.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F35XBTS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What helps is a couple strokes on a steel before using it. Straightens the edge.
    https://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Kitch...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I wish I could sharpen a knife properly, all I seem to do is wear the blade down. Can I get a hand and some advice?
    :-x

On Many Knifes, as you move Farther and Farther into the Edge, the Blade becomes Thicker and Thicker. So the Edge Angle can become more Blunt.

I like to use a "V" Style Carbide Sharpener. Because they maintain a Constant Angle. Even if the Knife is Way Out of Whack.

https://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-04...5109827&sprefix=carbide+knife,aps,117&sr=8-56

https://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Shar...=carbide+knife+sharpener+shark,aps,108&sr=8-1

And once the Knife is Sharp, it only takes about Three Swipes to Re-Sharpen it.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The proper answer's going to depend on what type of knives you're talking about. If you're just talking about regular old poor man's kitchen knives, I just use an electric knife sharpener. This is the one I have and it works great for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IUWM/

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014

Agree on the whetstone. Tried mine for the first time recently on very dull kitchen knives. Surprisingly easy and worked really well.

Nermal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    I like to use a "V" Style Carbide Sharpener. Because they maintain a Constant Angle. Even if the Knife is Way Out of Whack.
    That's what I use (Spyderco) which use triangular stones. It makes it easier to maintain that constant angle, which is very important.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    What is your current sharpening tool of choice?
    I have an old 'diamond' stone around 5" x 2". At one time I was fairly good with it but in my dotage, I think that I may not have the control over that angle and pressure. I haven't done a good job in quite a while.
    I gave up on my mower blades and take them to a farm shop near by. I used to use an electric bench grinder but my blades showed the horror of using unskilled labor.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I have an old 'diamond' stone around 5" x 2". At one time I was fairly good with it but in my dotage, I think that I may not have the control over that angle and pressure. I haven't done a good job in quite a while.
    I gave up on my mower blades and take them to a farm shop near by. I used to use an electric bench grinder but my blades showed the horror of using unskilled labor.
    I understand. Sadly. :(

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I got a similar one about a year ago....looks like I paid quite a few extra $$ for a nice bamboo stand. :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Pebble-Sharpening-Waterstone-Whetstone/dp/B01FZZUL30?ref_=ast_sto_dp
    After watching a bunch of tutorial vids & practicing (I had zero sharpening skill), I've gotten better with it, but it takes a lot of practice and patience. If you're off by even a degree or two on some strokes, you'll round the edge somewhat. I finally got to where I can sharpen my 37 year old Henckels (wedding present) to easily slice paper if I'm careful.

But I wish I'd gotten the Spyderco like @Nermal suggested (I was too cheap). Or better yet, one of these:
    https://wasabi-knives.com/collections/wasabi-most-wanted/products/wasabi-ruixin-pro-knife-sharpener

I've thought about building a simple jig to slide my stone over a clamped blade on my workbench, to keep it at a constant angle, but never got around to it. Shouldn't be hard though. And I've learned that more important than a perfect 20 degree angle is a consistently angled stroke. And one of these jigs makes sure even us less than perfectly coordinated people can repeat a stroke. Or with a Spyderco, you only have to worry about keeping the blade vertical, so it's easier than using a stone on a horizontal surface and guaging your angle.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I got a similar one about a year ago....looks like I paid quite a few extra $$ for a nice bamboo stand. :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Pebble-Sharpening-Waterstone-Whetstone/dp/B01FZZUL30?ref_=ast_sto_dp
    After watching a bunch of tutorial vids & practicing (I had zero sharpening skill), I've gotten better with it, but it takes a lot of practice and patience. If you're off by even a degree or two on some strokes, you'll round the edge somewhat. I finally got to where I can sharpen my 37 year old Henckels (wedding present) to easily slice paper if I'm careful.

But I wish I'd gotten the Spyderco like @Nermal suggested (I was too cheap). Or better yet, one of these:
    https://wasabi-knives.com/collections/wasabi-most-wanted/products/wasabi-ruixin-pro-knife-sharpener

I've thought about building a simple jig to slide my stone over a clamped blade on my workbench, to keep it at a constant angle, but never got around to it. Shouldn't be hard though. And I've learned that more important than a perfect 20 degree angle is a consistently angled stroke. And one of these jigs makes sure even us less than perfectly coordinated people can repeat a stroke. Or with a Spyderco, you only have to worry about keeping the blade vertical, so it's easier than using a stone on a horizontal surface and guaging your angle.
    I believe my stone kit had a cheater thingy in it that attaches to the knife to maintain the angle. Works fairly well once you get used to it.

That bamboo one would be nice if you intend to keep it on your counter.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    I wish I could sharpen a knife properly, all I seem to do is wear the blade down. Can I get a hand and some advice?
    :-x
    I guess I sharpened so many tools, knife sharpening which is an different angle than tools my muscle memory just reverts back and gives a poor result. After trying several sharpeners, a few already mentioned here I ran across this one a couple years ago, and love it, the con is it's a little pricey. The result is once your knife is sharp a couple strokes brings the edge back to like a new knife.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WIN6SYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I got mine there have been knock offs and similar designs at cheaper prices but mine has held up well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread