HOW TO Make A USB Passthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladysteam

Dec 21, 2009
Kelowna
Thank you for the reply FlipnOut... I ended up buying a wall and car usb kit just to see if there was a difference between those and the computer. Surprisingly, there seems to be? I think... Both car and plug is 5v 1A.. I found the taste a bit better right away. Maybe I'm hoping.. so I finally added the momentary switch. Weird thing is with the switch on now, the computer isn't so harsh.. yet I still think the wall plug is less. Ugh, I think my taste buds are out of whack! lol - Neat little mod, I'll do as you suggest and give it a good try, before considering adding a diode, also I think I've decided on a battery mod with just NiMH's, I'm gonna build it and hopefully it works, wish me luck :D - Here's my ugly beauty in the picture below :p

Attachments

• A-DSCF2032.jpg
    A-DSCF2032.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 464

theBOZman

Dec 24, 2009
So Cal
Just got done reading a bunch of articles about USB port standards. From what I've seen, when using the USB port in "dedicated charger mode" the two data wires should be grounded telling the host controller to bypass the device and allow current draw up to 1.8A.

It appears to support higher voltages grounding the two wires together rather than leaving them open.

From wikipedia and pinouts DOT ru

Dedicated charger mode:
A simple USB charger should short the 2 data lines together. The device will then not attempt to transmit or receive data, but can draw up to 1.8A, if the supply can provide it.

Battery Charging Specification 1.1: Released in March 2007 (Updated 15 Apr 2009).
Adds support for dedicated chargers (power supplies with USB connectors), host chargers (USB hosts that can act as chargers) and the No Dead Battery provision which allows devices to temporarily draw 100 mA current after they have been attached. If a USB device is connected to dedicated charger, maximum current drawn by the device may be as high as 1.8A.

:confused:

theBOZman

Dec 24, 2009
So Cal
Building mine with a 200 ohm resister shorting the data wires. I'll post my results. That appears to be the correct way to use the USB 2.0 port as a power supply. The impedance of the USB bus changes when you add the load of the atty. The 2.0 usb host controller will ignore the voltage/impedance change if the device plugged in has the data lines 200 ohm shorted.

Can't post url's yet but a good article regarding this can be found at:

Make sure to remove the DOT
www2DOTelectronicproducts.com/Helping_prevent_damage_to_USB_Charger_systems-article-fapo_Tyco_jun2009-html.aspx

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
Sir, I love you. You just saved me 20 bucks (that i don't have) for a passthrough ^_^

Used an Rca jack (godaweful fit but it works) for my 510 attys, a reset switch from an old computer case, an old printer cord, an iphone usb plug (power) and a hot glue gun to make it. It is far from pretty but GAH yummy vapor.

Edit:also interesting to note, this is my second mod in less than 24 hours....built a nicostick the size of a juicebox around 12 midday yesterday. This modding is addictive. Wonder if i can convert my car to produce vapor....

Edit:edit: I forgot, lots of electrical tape...I'm too broke to buy a project box. ^_^ Gonna post it later on if i get around to uploading my pics from my phone.

Last edited:

thecheese

Aug 25, 2009
lurking for awhile now..figured this would be a good time for a first post :) this mod save my .... ! had my kr8 battery fry on me a couple nights ago, dug up my dusty old m401 to get me by. THAT battery died on me a couple hours ago, had ants in my pants waiting for it to charge :/ i scavenged the connector from my kr8 and used an rca plug with the tip cut off. gutted an old mouse for the momentary switch and VOILA! Id have to say my passthrough is WAY more ghetto than the OP (Not to brag or anything.) :p 5v is giving me a hard'on btw :)

Mr_Phil

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Lubbock, Texas, United States
I am not an electronics literate guy and yet, I get it. I have a 4081 batt that is on its' last legs and have written the last will and testiment. It will donate itself to mad science.

A technical question tho.... I cannot soldier. I have no gun and recently crushed my dominant hand. So, manual dexterity is still in the therapy stage. Is there an adhesive or metallic tape or something that would work in lieu of soldier?

My USB is an old palm pilot (loved the pilot) USB wall charger. The wires are hair thin. If that doesn't do it I have several USB cables laying about that are more stout. Any thoughts on that?

Awesome thread. Simply Awesome.

Rev. Redmond Farrier

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2010
Georgia
I just threw one of these together using an old dead eGo clone battery and the cord from an old dead pt. I have a wall adapter and a car lighter adapter. On both of these when I press the switch on the pt, the light goes out on the adapter. It works just fine when plugged into my computer, but I have read that these things can kill a motherboard. Any thoughts?

edit: oops! I meant to post this in the "Homemade Usb Passthrough with broken 510 ego/tornado battery" thread. I was reading both before attempting to make a 5v pt. I guess I will leave this here and post again where I meant to post the first time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread