Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Hey everybody!

Things have been going pretty good with my mixes & single flavor tasting. It seems that most people are using RDAs for their taste testing. I don’t have one and don’t really want to get into that just yet it ever.

So for those of you that don’t use an rda how do you taste test your flavors? Up until now I’ve just been putting 2-3mls in a tank and vape it. I try to keep the sweet flavors using a separate coil than the fruit/citrus flavors. Is this good enough?

Thanks

sara

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
In the past, before RDA's hit the scene we used old style 510 atomizers, like this. Just drip a few drops to test flavors and vape or blow through with some plain PG/VG to clean it out.

37.jpg

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I am a tank person too. When I was still using tanks that had drop-in coil heads, like you, I tried dedicating specific coils to specific flavor profiles... it didn't last very long.

First; I am LAZY!:facepalm: And, because I tended to mix a half dozen (or more) different recipes (I was trying everything when I started), I didn't like having to constantly tear apart my tank with each recipe change.

Second; it's messy. Handling those wet, used, coil heads, over and over, did not work for me.

So, I tried using an RTA. This was much easier (all I had to do was re-wick between flavor changes; but it didn't give me the same flavor perception. Even with the same build, there were just too many variables to get the same experience as my tanks. It was okay for getting a very general idea if I liked a particular flavor/recipe. But, it was pretty useless to dial in best percentages, or recipe tweaks, that were best to my tanks.

My answer was to run some plain PG/VG (no flavor; no nic), mixed at my normal ratio, through my tank between flavor changes. This worked well for all but the strongest flavors (I think I still have a coil head buried in a drawer somewhere; labeled "absinthe!"). For those; a coil head change is about all you can do.

Even though I am using rebuildable tanks now; I still use "plain" to transition flavors.:D

There is nothing saying you can't follow one flavor with another. Some actually like the novelty of the transition of tastes. Some even find inspiration for new recipes this way. The downside, if you are testing new flavors for the first time, is to know what is the influence of the new liquid vs. the previous liquid.

Using the plain unflavored in between helps to return the coil to neutral taste. It even seems to help reset my taste buds. It doesn't often take a lot... maybe a quarter of a mL. (When I am testing a new flavor; I generally start with only ¼ to ½ mL of the flavor. Often it isn't ready/needs add'l time. or, I simply don't care for it.)

You may, like me, even find that you enjoy unflavored. So now I include nicotine, and it currently makes up 80(ish)% of what I vape. :D

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I found that different atomizer/RTA/RDA/RDTA, etc. can affect flavor. Just as the amount of juice that is atomized from a single draw. Not a huge difference, but some.

I still, initially, use an RDA because the cleaning, burning any coil gunk off and re-wicking is easier. I actually use two RDAs so it goes a touch faster. They are my last two RDAs and, so, I will not PIF them. Just in case of a Vapeocolypse, I have them. :)

Anyway, once a recipe gets close, I use my usual RTAs and just make notes for the next mixing. It works fairly well for me.

Most accurate flavor for me is an RDA or a simple Squonker. But, a good RTA is easily close enough for me. Engineering can make a lot of difference.

I agree using a vgpg unflavored mix is smart but want to add dedicating one tank, or two identical tanks is important so you maintain that reference point of vape experience and wattage used (or temp). I think having 1 esa is smart for it allows me to just test a few drops at intervals during the oxidation process... very satisfying when everything blooms.

I agree using a vgpg unflavored mix is smart but want to add dedicating one tank, or two identical tanks is important so you maintain that reference point of vape experience and wattage used (or temp). I think having 1 esa is smart for it allows me to just test a few drops at intervals during the oxidation process... very satisfying when everything blooms.
* 1 RDA IS SMART, DAMMMM AAAUUTTIOICOORRREECCTT

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
As alluded to some by others, the gear used effects the flavor to some degree (the fluid dynamics of the atty itself, the coil/power, wick, etc).

While I have probably tried every method in almost 5 years of doing DIY, I prefer 'flavor' RDA's with a 'flavor' wick ran on a regulated mod to quickly check all the boxes.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I actually *taste* them, I have gotten so I can tell quite a bit via my tongue. I mean, it translates differently when I vape, but it will tell me a) if it's time to vape it yet and b) enough that I'm usually fairly certain I will like/not like. If I think I'll like it, I'll vape like a half a tank. If not, I'll try a really minimal amount in a tank and see what I need to change. I have enough flavors going now that I don't have to taste everything all at once....

Anna

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I am a tank person too. When I was still using tanks that had drop-in coil heads, like you, I tried dedicating specific coils to specific flavor profiles... it didn't last very long.

First; I am LAZY!:facepalm: And, because I tended to mix a half dozen (or more) different recipes (I was trying everything when I started), I didn't like having to constantly tear apart my tank with each recipe change.

Second; it's messy. Handling those wet, used, coil heads, over and over, did not work for me.

So, I tried using an RTA. This was much easier (all I had to do was re-wick between flavor changes; but it didn't give me the same flavor perception. Even with the same build, there were just too many variables to get the same experience as my tanks. It was okay for getting a very general idea if I liked a particular flavor/recipe. But, it was pretty useless to dial in best percentages, or recipe tweaks, that were best to my tanks.

My answer was to run some plain PG/VG (no flavor; no nic), mixed at my normal ratio, through my tank between flavor changes. This worked well for all but the strongest flavors (I think I still have a coil head buried in a drawer somewhere; labeled "absinthe!"). For those; a coil head change is about all you can do.

Even though I am using rebuildable tanks now; I still use "plain" to transition flavors.:D

There is nothing saying you can't follow one flavor with another. Some actually like the novelty of the transition of tastes. Some even find inspiration for new recipes this way. The downside, if you are testing new flavors for the first time, is to know what is the influence of the new liquid vs. the previous liquid.

Using the plain unflavored in between helps to return the coil to neutral taste. It even seems to help reset my taste buds. It doesn't often take a lot... maybe a quarter of a mL. (When I am testing a new flavor; I generally start with only ¼ to ½ mL of the flavor. Often it isn't ready/needs add'l time. or, I simply don't care for it.)

You may, like me, even find that you enjoy unflavored. So now I include nicotine, and it currently makes up 80(ish)% of what I vape. :D

I think I’ll give this a try until I decide to get into building.

Thanks!!

Reactions: IDJoel

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I actually *taste* them, I have gotten so I can tell quite a bit via my tongue. I mean, it translates differently when I vape, but it will tell me a) if it's time to vape it yet and b) enough that I'm usually fairly certain I will like/not like. If I think I'll like it, I'll vape like a half a tank. If not, I'll try a really minimal amount in a tank and see what I need to change. I have enough flavors going now that I don't have to taste everything all at once....

Anna

I’ve read of others doing the tastes tests the same way. Seems to be pretty simple.

thanks

sara

Reactions: stols001

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
In the past, before RDA's hit the scene we used old style 510 atomizers, like this. Just drip a few drops to test flavors and vape or blow through with some plain PG/VG to clean it out.

37.jpg

These are actually still available for about $10 plus some cartridges. This may be the easiest to use.

Reactions: stols001

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
What is this?

They are cig-a-like atomizers, the greatest vape on earth 6 years ago. :D They are the precursor to RDA's and where dripping got its start, you could only get about 3 drops each time (a few more for the initial prime). Yes, they are still available, just use a drip tip in place of the cartridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread