How to vape when you're flat-broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
Yep, we all make mistakes and don't want to see others make the same ones! Your avitar is adorable!

The single largest cost savings in vaping comes from having good INFORMATION. I can't begin to tell you how much money I've ...... away trying to find the "perfect" juice, mod, att'y, cart's, etc. Most people here will tell you the truth, at least in terms of products that haven't worked for them. I don't recommend that you make decisions based on one person's opinion, rather look for trends in opinions...

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
I think the DIY mod box and liquids, while definitely cheaper, might possibly be more expensive initially trying to get past the trial and error period.

My advice would be to haunt the classies. There are a lot of good deals. There's also PIF. Vapers give away liquids and other stuff they simply aren't using sometimes. Bluemist has big bottles at cheap prices, and although I haven't tried them, some of my friends vape their liquids regularly. Speaking of big bottles, get cartos and liquids in bulk. Search for a co-op to get a better price. Finally, keep your eye on the Deals and Steals thread so you know about all the good sales.

Best of luck job hunting...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
1. Get a couple of simple 3.7 volt APVs that take either 18650 or 14500 cells, and stick with that format.

2. Stay with the 510 connector system as that saves you money.

3. Find a head type you like, from a vendor that sells products that last. Doesn't matter if it's 510 atties or clearos or whatever. Rebuildable clearos are a win if money is tight. For some people a 510 atty will last them months, so if you're one of them, this route is a good one - the secret is to have several of them and rotate them. If you cane an atty it probably won't last; but if you treat them carefully (no dry burns) and above all rotate them in use, they can easily last 6 months if of good quality in the first place. However if you're one of those for whom atties die fast, then rebuildable clearos may be better. RTA's are a win if you can afford to buy one in the first place, and if you like the vape.

4. The biggest savings of all come with DIY liquid. You'll save more here than anywhere else. If you truly are broke then here is the way to go:
- Buy 100ml (or more) of 100mg PG, and the same in VG.
- Buy 500ml of zero-nic PG and the same in VG, for mixing.
- Buy flavorings you like that are easy to mix and that fit well with other flavors, such as different caramels, vanilla, coffee, tobaccos.
- Get loads of 5ml and 10ml dropper bottles, a couple of pipettes, and some syringes with thick/medium/thin needles. The blunt-end type are best.

Always make a new mix recipe with 2ml at first, until you are sure it's going to work for you. After that do 5ml and write the recipe down. Making 10ml of something is a sure way to throw money away.

These materials will allow you to vape really cheap. If times are hard, you don't need a lot of flavoring in there, just enough to notice. It might also be better for your lungs.

If you see a good offer on bulk unflavored base nic liquid, get it, as long as you think you are OK with that brand. For example a 500ml bottle of high-strength base is normally an excellent deal. Then split it into 100ml glass bottles, double bag them, mark them clearly, and put them in the freezer (maybe in an empty ice cream box, just remember to label the lid) - they can last 5 years in a freezer, and some say a decade.

There is no need to spend a fortune on vaping if you're broke. When the money comes in, you can splash out again. Until then you can vape for pennies a day if you are prepared to plan well and spend a little in advance.

Last edited:

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Being unemployed isn't fun.
Not having money isn't fun.
Vaping is fun, and the #1 cure to stay vaping while out of cash is to stock up when you do have cash.
But what to buy for longevity?
Well, I'm both a cheapskate and unemployed, so I'll tell you, in a series of categories and price ranges to fit your budget... to fit anyone's budget.

1. Power Supplies!

You can't vape without power, that's an obvious thought. What power is best for your buck? I've been at this for a while with different power-sources and I've come to a few good conclusions.

#1. 14500 Batteries

If you've got a cheap mod box, these things come 2 for $5 from any online chinese store. Stock up and keep them charged. They last nearly all day for most people and keep their life for a long time. Make sure if you're used to a 5v vape to pick up some low-resistance equipment that we'll discuss later but for the price, these can't be beat bang for your buck-wise.

#2. A Passthrough

You can get a good cheap passthrough from most websites for around $15 but don't expect them to last, even the good ones. You're almost constantly handling the wiring which means it will eventually short out within a few months to a year, you never really know. While reliable when first used, take care to keep backups on you if they begin to fade out.

#3. Keep a standard socket.

If you have adapters, keep them but stick to the same socket. I tend to stick with 510 everything. This means all of my passthroughs and boxes all universally fit all of my atomizers and cartomizers. You don't want to be caught spending more money on a device that uses something different than the rest.

2. The Vapor-Maker!

Atomizers cost around $8 each when not bought in bulk and you never know when one will short out on you. While they generally do last a long time. I've found a viable solution for the cheapskate vaper.

#1. CE2 Cartomizers being used as Atomizers

$10 for 5 of these puppies will keep you going. They're built just like atomizers and carry the same punch. If you lose one, don't fret, you've got four more left in the box to cycle through. Just pop them open and clip off the wicks and you've got the best cheap atomizers money can be skimped on.

Also, clean your equipment regularly and rotate around 5 cartomizers at a time to keep you going. Clean them all at once with your method of choice to keep them running like new and be careful not to pop them while dry-burning.

3. Juice!

So you want to vape cheaply? There's a few good websites for picking up cheap juice. Madvapes sells Dekang from china for excellent deals all the time. There's also FreedomsmokeUSA and MyFreedomSmokes who also sell at generally lower prices than the competition and FreedomsmokeUSA even sells in, wait for it... 120ML bottles!! Buy in bulk if possible to keep your prices down, and if you don't like it, don't waste your cash and toss it, trade it on the forum! You might find someone willing to pick it up so you can get something else.

---------

Finding a job is tough but getting you through the hard times is all about preparation. Keep back-stock. Keep backups of your hardware going so you don't have to rely on paycheck to paycheck purchases. :2cool:

With juice, my rule is if you don't like it, mix it. Let's say the vanilla you got tastes funky by itself, but with tobacco it works.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
There are the people who swear by flavorless PG/VG nicotine. It doesn't clog the Atties as fast and obviously cheaper than flavored. More PG is better for making Atties a lot longer. There are power cord 5 volts, and vv too from 12.99 - $20.00.. Suppose that last a very long time if not abused. Needs a 2 amp charger Passthrough. I got one for car vaping nly. Then I don't have to think about what to grab to run out for a bit? The cord is built in so not as much "connection" at the plug worries problems and there is no battery involved to make it quit some day

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
If you go through attys because of dark, thick ejuice, vaping style, or just fussy about them being clogged. ---RBAs (rebuildable attys) are cheap to maintain and you don't suffer a drop in quality. Wire and wick are dirt cheap and with very little experience take very little time to whip together a new coil and thread a wick.

You don't have to buy the expensive $150 RBAs. The $10-$30 clone ones work extremely well and while they won't last forever, especially if they are abused at all, you won't cry if you lose one.

With RBAs and DIY, I could vape my usual 5-6ml a day for about 50¢ for 12mg ejuice and 3¢ for a new coil. I do both not only to save money but because I get a superior vapor of a product I can trust..

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
JUICEJUNKY. If you put up a link to the pictorial RBA instructions any newbie can see it better for what it is. It was one of the top five posts that got me doing RBAs and helping make it less mysterious. I searched my posts and couldn't remember the post I found it in. It's like a treasure hunt on ECF sometimes! I know when I found it it was from link in an post on an obscure short thread type thing

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
JUICEJUNKY. If you put up a link to the pictorial RBA instructions any newbie can see it better for what it is. It was one of the top five posts that got me doing RBAs and helping make it less mysterious. I searched my posts and couldn't remember the post I found it in. It's like a treasure hunt on ECF sometimes! I know when I found it it was from link in an post on an obscure short thread type thing

Here you go:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/373841-rba-reomizer-build-photo-tutorial.html

The Reomizer (REO RBA for bottom feeders) is no longer for sale, but I think the general principle crosses most RBAs especially the inexpensive clones. If nothing else it shows a cartomizer/atomizer is really just a coiled wire attached to a battery with a wick.

Last edited:

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Good thread but I live in Tucson and I dont agree that FSUSA juice is good deal for cheap juice.They arent super pricey but much better choices out there for less IMO.Other than that I think OP had some good suggestions :)

I did write this nearly two years ago.

Give a guy some slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread