How will the e-cig developing in near future

Status
Not open for further replies.

atotech-4u

Moved On
Apr 27, 2013
CN
Just curious. how will e-cig developed in the near future.
Will eGo still hot or new revolution in new future.
at the beginning of this industriy, no boby cares about the hardware.
if there is vapor, then vapers accept it.
510 series is a revolution.
later comes eGo.then rules changed.
different atomizers/different clearomizers comes.
then CE4 lead all market worldwide.

now, batteries got VV VW funstion/ clearomizer got changeable system and big content.

How will the next revolution of this industry?
Who knows.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The biggest changes will be involved with improved battery technology and that may be years in coming. The battery is the single most important factor in determining the size of an e-cigarette. The amount of space needed for onboard electronics will shrink at a steady rate. The next big step we will see in the near future will regard regulation of the e-cigarette industry. This will bring the establishment of baseline quality standards for liquids and delivery systems.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
As BT takes over the ecig industry, the small players well fold as they won't be able to meet The deeming regulations bought by BT, then when your present PV's fail and u run out of liquid, you well be forced to quit or fall to the pressure of BT and their line of disposables.

Let's hope NOT
Please join CASAA. And fight.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Here is a thread that all of us should read where Bill Godshaw, a CASAA member, Harm Reduction advocate and one of our great champions, provided information to the FDA on their proposed "deeming" regulations. Bill's report to the FDA provides us all with the information we need when some uninformed person starts spewing mindless BS about vaping:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...on-food-drug-law-institute-conference-dc.html

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
Certainly the political aspects are hugely significant and tremendously important so I don't want this post to be construed as some sort of blaise attitude towards them!

I can only speculate on the technological aspects...

I fully expect VW to appear in many more devices and perhaps replace VV as the standard in basic e-cigs such as the "ego" and "spinners" of tomorrow.

Polycarbonate, the cheap "plastic" used in most clearos, vivis, etc. are slowly being replaced by more juice resilient substances like polypropylene and quartz/pyrex type glass. More metal tank options are becoming available too. (Very nice for the many juices out there that can corrode, crack or even melt other plastics!)

I imagine "wireless charging" will make an appearance, in perhaps an e-roll like battery pack configuration or USB pad for the desktop, ashtray insert for vehicles, etc.

Gel type e-liquids have been tested for awhile now and may also find a popularity base. Look ma, no more leaks! :)

Better battery technologies will continue to appear as they do in any portable device. e-cigs will get smaller, cheaper and last longer.

New wicking materials will start to occupy more market share. We'll start to see clearos with ceramic wicks instead of silica and the first non-RBA to use SS mesh or the like, out of the box.

Of course new form factors and "gee whiz" features will continue to pop up now and then too... Seen the new ss-elips, coming to a vendor near you soon?

7499669_orig.jpg

Last edited:
I see in the future local shops booming across the country with the news guys talking about the increasing number of vapers vs the number of smokers. I can see the headlines: "Vaping, cause for alarm or a health miracle?" There is going to be a lot of politicking going on so everybody put your seatbelts on and brace for impact.

Hopefully the feds will stay out of the vape industry but BT is not going to sit idly by, or the PC nazis. I'm not too concerned about my state as they are usually laissez faire in their regard to nicotine.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    One "change" that we will be seeing in the near future is how we deal with waste disposal. Never seems to get mentioned ... yet ... , but what will we do in the future with the hundreds of thousands of disposable batteries? How about the millions of old cartos/clearos/atties?

Especially as BT takes over the market with their disposables, and prefilled carts/cartos, this is going to become a bigger problem. It will only be a matter of time before the do-gooders have had enough, and want e-cigs banned because they are tired of looking at our trash.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2009
    Next to the ocean, WA
    oktyabr.wordpress.com
    One "change" that we will be seeing in the near future is how we deal with waste disposal. Never seems to get mentioned ... yet ... , but what will we do in the future with the hundreds of thousands of disposable batteries? How about the millions of old cartos/clearos/atties?

Especially as BT takes over the market with their disposables, and prefilled carts/cartos, this is going to become a bigger problem. It will only be a matter of time before the do-gooders have had enough, and want e-cigs banned because they are tired of looking at our trash.

This is a great point and one that hasn't gone completely unnoticed. Personally it's also one of the reasons I decided to learn RDA/RBAs instead of carts. I know there are at least a couple of vendors (and at least one of my local B&Ms) that will exchange used carts as a discount on new ones. Do they actually recycle them in some way or just throw them away for you? I'm not sure. Most places that recycle cell phones, lap top batteries and the like, will do the same with e-cig batts. If your local recycle center doesn't yet please do take a moment to ask.

This is probably something else we will begin seeing in the future... environmentally friendly vendors, even on the internet, who will take old batteries and get them recycled, rather than thrown out... perhaps with a small discount on new juice/hardware as an incentive. Not just good for the environment but the first ones to do it wisely will be able to leverage it as part of their marketing strategy as well, I'm sure.

wv2win

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 10, 2009
    GA by way of WV
    Certainly the political aspects are hugely significant and tremendously important so I don't want this post to be construed as some sort of blaise attitude towards them!

I can only speculate on the technological aspects...

I fully expect VW to appear in many more devices and perhaps replace VV as the standard in basic e-cigs such as the "ego" and "spinners" of tomorrow.

Polycarbonate, the cheap "plastic" used in most clearos, vivis, etc. are slowly being replaced by more juice resilient substances like polypropylene and quartz/pyrex type glass. More metal tank options are becoming available too. (Very nice for the many juices out there that can corrode, crack or even melt other plastics!)

I imagine "wireless charging" will make an appearance, in perhaps an e-roll like battery pack configuration or USB pad for the desktop, ashtray insert for vehicles, etc.

Gel type e-liquids have been tested for awhile now and may also find a popularity base. Look ma, no more leaks! :)

Better battery technologies will continue to appear as they do in any portable device. e-cigs will get smaller, cheaper and last longer.

New wicking materials will start to occupy more market share. We'll start to see clearos with ceramic wicks instead of silica and the first non-RBA to use SS mesh or the like, out of the box.

Of course new form factors and "gee whiz" features will continue to pop up now and then too... Seen the new ss-elips, coming to a vendor near you soon?

7499669_orig.jpg

I agree that VW will be a bigger and bigger part of the APV market due to it's advantages over VV.

That ss-elips is really cool looking Oktrabr. Lets hope it comes with an 1800 mAh (at least) battery and it's variable wattage (VW). And the tank has many different ohm resistence options that are easy to replace/change. And it has a 5 amp switch.

Last edited:

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2009
    Next to the ocean, WA
    oktyabr.wordpress.com
    I agree that VW will be a bigger and bigger part of the APV market due to it's advantages over VV.

That ss-elips is really cool looking Oktrabr. Lets hope it comes with an 1800 mAh (at least) battery and it's variable wattage (VW). And the tank has many different ohm resistence options that are easy to replace/change.

Yeah, something like that could last all day would be a seller, I'm sure. Looking at the display it shows watts... which seems curious to have on a device that wasn't VW?

RickAppling

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2013
    Lincoln' NE
    I do not see the boom continuing for long. I see a repeat of the early days of video. A boom in mom and pop sites and stores. Then the big player's seeing there is money to be made and entering the market. Perhaps backed by BT, food companies, or a Walmart. a few of current vendors may become big players. But most will fade away. There will be good and bad things about this. Decreased competition and perhaps innovation. On the other hand there will be greater exposure and perhaps more money for research.

I also expect the industry to split up. Cig-a-likes becoming the major part of the market. Becoming available every where. But with few options. I think that the middle ground like the eGos and the smaller PVs drying up. The APVs and mods might continue as is for some time. It is a bit more foggy on juice vendors. They might continue on, or maybe wiped out by regulations.

I see in the future local shops booming across the country with the news guys talking about the increasing number of vapers vs the number of smokers. I can see the headlines: "Vaping, cause for alarm or a health miracle?" There is going to be a lot of politicking going on so everybody put your seatbelts on and brace for impact.

Hopefully the feds will stay out of the vape industry but BT is not going to sit idly by, or the PC nazis. I'm not too concerned about my state as they are usually laissez faire in their regard to nicotine.

RickAppling

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2013
    Lincoln' NE
    This is something I have thought of looking into. But diy is taking up my time right now.

My wish and my personal opinion is that the revolution in ecig industry would be a new tech to vaporize the liquids. Maybe something like injection system that wouldn't need any wick or mesh or any material that gets in contact with the juice..

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    The biggest changes will be involved with improved battery technology and that may be years in coming. The battery is the single most important factor in determining the size of an e-cigarette. The amount of space needed for onboard electronics will shrink at a steady rate. The next big step we will see in the near future will regard regulation of the e-cigarette industry. This will bring the establishment of baseline quality standards for liquids and delivery systems.

This. ^^^^

Nano-tech batteries, or other super-battery tech.....1800 mAh in a 3.7 volt super-mini cig-a-like e-cig. Maybe with vv, maybe not.

No pessimism on the industry yet though. Yet.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    Although I am still very new to vaping (2 months now tobacco free), what I would like to see is for it to be far simpler than it is now... Ideally I like to be able to attach a vial of juice to a battery+whatever and vape, and that's it.

And ^^^^^ is absolutely correct. Gotta be easy or only a small % of the market will switch from cigs to e-cigs.

P.S. You CAN do that with pre-filled or you-fill cartos now....and 3.7 volt e-cigs. The battery tech just isn't very good (energy density).

I do not see the boom continuing for long. I see a repeat of the early days of video. A boom in mom and pop sites and stores. Then the big player's seeing there is money to be made and entering the market. Perhaps backed by BT, food companies, or a Walmart. a few of current vendors may become big players. But most will fade away. There will be good and bad things about this. Decreased competition and perhaps innovation. On the other hand there will be greater exposure and perhaps more money for research.

I also expect the industry to split up. Cig-a-likes becoming the major part of the market. Becoming available every where. But with few options. I think that the middle ground like the eGos and the smaller PVs drying up. The APVs and mods might continue as is for some time. It is a bit more foggy on juice vendors. They might continue on, or maybe wiped out by regulations.

In the long run you're right in that the big corps will take over the market share, they'll buy up the companies that are leading in the industry. I think the mom and pop store boom hasn't gotten fully off the ground yet. The local cigarette store shops will probably get big into the vaping business once the consumers demand it. There's a lot of politics and PC that's going to play into this as well. Walmart doesn't want to be seen as pushing and making a lot of profit off of nicotine products. There may be big chains similar to starbucks or best buy that will grow regionally. A sealed off company wouldn't have to worry about the PC cops like walmart.

In the age of the internet, I think the small mom and pop stores have a much better chance than they would have 20 years ago. Also, vapers are very picky and once we are used to a high quality vape, we won't accept cheap one size fits all products. I think Blu makes it because they essentially have a monopoly in large areas of the country. But we vapers are crafty and if we don't get satisfaction out of the product we just dial up another one on the internet. Once many try Blu and understand the concept they look to the internet for better alternatives. Blu is getting the first time buyers, but I'll bet their market share isn't rising nearly as fast as the alternatives.

I think we've come full circle with the internet and mom and pop stores can survive as long as they have a good product at a good price. The word of mouth on this site alone is staggering.

Also, and I never thought I would have said this, but thank God for the Chinese. Like em or not, they got this whole ball rolling and there's loads of innovation coming from over there that even BT is going to have a hard time stamping out.

Jimmy_Noname

Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2013
    Monterey, California
    If BT were to start playing the game, would it be a bad thing? They're involvement would naturally bring along more restrictions, taxes, etc. however, the potential to convert more smokers into vapers would be huge, as they have the brand name and funding to advertise to the masses. But would the likely risk of shutting down the small businesses we know and love be worth it? Would you smoke a Marlboro branded Provari?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread