• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Andrew's track (1992):

Andrew_1992_track.png

Katrina's track (2005):

Katrina_2005_track.png

Maria's track so far (2017):

1280px-Maria_2017_track.png

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Well, we ordered a Generac generator today.
Shop Generac Guardian 22,000-Watt (LP)/19,500-Watt (NG) Standby Generator at Lowes.com

It will do the whole house. The tank will be buried (250 gal).

There is a waiting list on installing. We are looking at 12 weeks. Could be sooner but more than likely not. The disabled and those in medical need are first in line as they should be.

Financing it through Lowes. It covers everything that needs to be done. From the pad to put it on, to the burying of the tank, to the electrical work and whatever. The only thing not covered in the cost is the first fill. They cannot predict what the cost of propane will be at that time.

Hopefully that means we will never need it ;) If we do, we will be set.

Doesn't much help for the rest of this season but we will figure out something if needed.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I've decided I'm going to give my motorhome to someone in the Keys that needs it. No idea how to do that but, I've reached out to one of the local TV station people that hopefully cam direct me to the right folks. It runs and drives, needs a new refrigerator but, if whoever gets it neex to they can just stick a electric refrig in it. Unfortunately the generator doesn't run but, I'm sure it's repairable. Ran fine when I parked it a few years ago.
That is such a generous thing to do :wub:

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
Shop Generac Guardian 22,000-Watt (LP)/19,500-Watt (NG) Standby Generator at Lowes.com

There is a waiting list on installing. We are looking at 12 weeks. Could be sooner but more than likely not. The disabled and those in medical need are first in line as they should be.

Financing it through Lowes. It covers everything that needs to be done. From the pad to put it on, to the burying of the tank, to the electrical work and whatever. The only thing not covered in the cost is the first fill. They cannot predict what the cost of propane will be at that time.

Doesn't much help for the rest of this season but we will figure out something if needed.
*Very Nice* Robin. DH will sleep like a baby bear.
I normally don't ask stuff like this but...I saw how much it costs at Lowe's.
How much are they going to hit you up for to install it including pad and buried gas tank?
I ask because something as such is on my list... I'm looking to move and want my next home to have impact windows (that I don't have to install...surely you remember me and the windows), accordion shutters, and Generac or similar..But I don't want to get in debt for it so I need to include those in my cash home buying budget.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm looking to move and want my next home to have impact windows (that I don't have to install...surely you remember me and the windows), accordion shutters, and Generac or similar..
Why do you need/want both impact windows and shutters?

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
Why do you need/want both impact windows and shutters?
Paranoia strikes deep.
I've broken an impact resistant window with a hammer. I'm a strong old dude but..If I can break an impact window
and a hurricane can drive a 2by4 through a tree or a block wall it can drive whatever through an impact window

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
*Very Nice* Robin. DH will sleep like a baby bear.
I normally don't ask stuff like this but...I saw how much it cost at Lowe's.
How much are they going to hit you up for to install it including pad and buried gas tank?
I ask because something as such is on my list... I'm looking to move and want my next home to have impact windows (that I don't have to install...surely you remember me and the windows), accordion shutters, and Generac or similar..But I don't want to get in debt for it so I need to include those in my cash home buying budget.

$11,259.49 we did three year financing with no penalty to make higher payments or to pay it off early. 3.9% interest rate. That's through Lowes financing.

That includes the electric panel, transfer switch, electrician... everything but the first fill.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
$11,259.49 we did three year financing with no penalty to make higher payments or to pay it off early. 3.9% interest rate. That's through Lowes financing.
Cool. Forgive me for delving into your finances.. 3.9% is more than fair for Lowe's.
I don't want any more payments though.. 11 grand is doable. Thank you, Robin :)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Cool. Forgive me for delving into your finances.. 3.9% is more than fair for Lowe's.
I don't want any more payments though.. 11 grand is doable. Thank you, Robin :)

No problem! ;)

After spending so much getting this new place up and running, we are just now getting our savings back sorta. LOL

Don't want to drain them and the interest rate was very reasonable.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
No problem! ;)

After spending so much getting this new place up and running, we are just now getting our savings back sorta. LOL

Don't want to drain them and the interest rate was very reasonable.
I understand your position with a newly built spread. That interest rate is more than reasonable

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida

It will be such a relief to have that all set up, won't it?:)

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Speaking of generators...if anyone here has a medical condition that requires medication delivery by electricity (such as COPD or drip pump, etc) you might inquire about deducting it come tax time.

An acquaintance of mine who is elderly and has COPD was able to do that. I don't know if he was able to deduct the entire purchase or only part of it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Paranoia strikes deep.
I've broken an impact resistant window with a hammer. I'm a strong old dude but..If I can break an impact window
and a hurricane can drive a 2by4 through a tree or a block wall it can drive whatever through an impact window
I don't think a hurricane can actually do that. I think that requires a tornado, and yes, hurricanes do spawn tornadoes, but if a tornado hits your house, it's likely done for anyway.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
It will be such a relief to have that all set up, won't it?:)

Absolutely!

@Robino1 : Since you're gonna have an LP tank, now you gotta get yourself a nice gas cooktop too. ;)

I can only think of what a nightmare it would be to run a gas line to the kitchen. Kitchen is on the opposite side of the house. We sit on a slab.

I do prefer gas stoves though...

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I can only think of what a nightmare it would be to run a gas line to the kitchen. Kitchen is on the opposite side of the house. We sit on a slab.
Same deal here. We went up inside the wall on the side of the house where the tank is. Across the ceiling in the trusses. Down the wall on the other side of the house where the kitchen is. Of course the fact that we were remodeling the first floor and had most of the drywall out anyway made this relatively straightforward. :blush:

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
I don't think a hurricane can actually do that. I think that requires a tornado, and yes, hurricanes do spawn tornadoes, but if a tornado hits your house, it's likely done for anyway.
I disagree. If you scroll back you'll see a pic of a 2by4 through a palm. After Andrew I saw several instances of 2 by 4's through trees and even block walls, due to the hurricane not tornadoes.
Even a tornado would have a hard time lifting a concrete poured roof... though I'm not very worried about those. But having been raised in Miama and lived here most of my life I do know what a 'cane can do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread