I am going to build a Puck Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejm

Moved On
Dec 5, 2012
United States
The tutorial is here: The PUCK e-Cig Mod - An e-Cigarette Box Mod You Can Build Cheap and Easy and Uses Standard Rechargable Batteries

Instead of using the RCA jack I ordered two prewired 510 battery connections from a vendor. That will be recessed inside of the box but I will employ a Gripper 510 extension that will be permanently mounted inside the box and then sticking out,

What is unique about the Puckis that it runs on AAA rechargeable batteries and not Lithium ion batteries.

Here are the reasons you might want to use cheap NiMH batteries in a mod:

Why My e-Cig Mods Use NiMH Rechargable Batteries - The PUCK eCig Mod

So I'm going for it. Some of the parts have been ordered, the rest I can buy in town.

mikejm

Moved On
Dec 5, 2012
United States
Ok, I drilled one of the holes and welded the two boxes together.

Photo_00016.jpg

MadmanMacguyver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Dallas Texas
if you use two 4AA or 4AAA boxes you will have room to add a TI PTR08100 regulator which you can get a free sample of thru their samples program...dont try to register for the program w a free Email acct however and dont get greedy...they only let you have one of any item...and to my knowledge nothing worth more than 40 dollars...

you will have to use 6 batts in series but its SOOO worth it...

LukeTheDuke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
midwest Illinois
Instead of 2 plastic AAA or AA boxs, I put my puck type mods into a Altoids box much MUCH stronger and worthy of drops and any abuse you can throw at it, check it out, I believe I was the first to do it in pucks thread, they last forever if you use a good switch, some tips would be , get a reamer from harbour frieght fir like 2$ youll need it to make your holes for your switch and atty connector, PLUS you can use the reamer on plastic or metal! Makes easy and precise holes, also use your black elect tape inside box to deter shorts if your solderd joints contact any metal. Most importantly DONT use hotglue ive had not luck with it and I dont think anyone esle has either, use JBweld, or a epoxy, I use the cheap 2parts epoxy from habourfrieght... Ive made many altoid box mods, my trusty backup mod is an rev2 madvapes altoid 510, lavatubes dont cut it in backups IMO I only say this as the first 2 pucks I made for myself and friends broke from drops the plastic is brittle and unforgiving of abuse plus you can build 2 Altoids pucks from 2 plastic boxs versus only 1 mod from 2plastics, makes sense IMO good luck braa!

LukeTheDuke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
midwest Illinois
if youse decide the way of Altoids get yourself some 2sided foam like tape from HFrieght while your getting your reamer,epoxy,solderiron etc etc
The 2sided tape makes placing and "achouring" down the plastic battery holder a breeze,

If I can find some pics of my past boxs ill post them here if your intested, they maybe in an album Herr on ecf but iam not positive

Go Altoids its a great conversation piece, I once was asked buy the 50 Po Po "what the hell is that", its my ecig made,"you,made an ecig in an Altoids box?" Sure... Opened it, showed off the wires&batts and blew a drag in his face... Lol priceless

Lonnie Lepp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Texas, USA, Earth
I used 2 2XAA battery boxes. glued two back to back and the third I glued its back to the other two sides. I used some fin guage wire as a spacer so that the lids could all close. 4 each AA NIMH baterries and a switch. I recessed the 901 connection and used a 901 to 510 adapter along with a vivi Nova 2.8 ohm tank. More fun than shaking a stick at whatever you want to shake a stick at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread