I broke it...need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA
Don't make fun of me...but here's my situation...I woke up very early for work one morning and noticed one of my door magnets had come off again, so in my sleepy haze I glued the magnet back into the door, the wrong way. I cannot seem to get it out now. I am hesitant to soak it in some type of solution other than water/soap because it may mess up the paint. Any ideas?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Geeeeez! If I had a nickel for every time I've read this.....I'd have at least a couple dollars by now. It happens. And it's a booger to fix. I've done it twice myself.....and ended up fixing it once, and getting a new door once. No doubt you used Super Glue, right? Acetone (nail polish remover) will soften the super glue, but it's still pretty tedious to get it out again. Then you need to really clean the magnet and the hole in the door, and start over. Others will chime it, but I'm just saying there's no magic fix... Getting a new door is a pretty good option.

If you used a glue gun, the glue is peculiarly easy to dissolve with simple rubbing alcohol (don't get it all over the place, of course).

Super-glue may come off with a razor blade (be VERY careful with that!) or a sharp, very flat-bladed screwdriver. Acetone, as mentioned above, may loosen it (nail polish remover), but it's usually pretty marginal.

Elmer's usually comes off with a twist and will dissolve slowly in plain water.

If you could mention which glue you used, we might be able to suggest a solvent or method.

jkais3r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Mankato, MN, USA
My magnets that got messed up were in the mod itself. I tried boiling it to no avail, didn't have any paint thinner or nail polish so just drilled them out. Mine came missing one, and the other fell out a day or two after. Bought it used. So I go and order some, then attempt to put them in. The first one, went in backwards. I even marked the side that was supposed to go in. That's one of those God d***** moments. Second one didn't set in flush. That just ...... me off even more.

I tried boiling, tried banging it on something while it was still 200 degrees, no luck. Gorilla glue superglue is dang good.

Tried the soldering iron twice. There's no way the magnet wasn't getting hot, don't know if it was cooling down rapidly in the second it took to set the iron down safely or what, but that's how the front of my reo got banged up. And how it got those scratched on the top sides where the door goes. I think I pushed paint in there or something because the door didn't want to slide correctly at the top.

Had to drill them out. The first one kind of just exploded and cleaned itself out. The others broke apart and had to be reamed out with the drill. But what's it really matter, people aren't gonna see that part.

I suppose with a door you have a little less room for error, but the magnet should break before you go through the door. I just used a cordless and something like a 3/32 bit. I spent hours trying to get them out before I broke out the drill though and wish I would've to begin with.

*** Oh this is a beater, so If you dont want it to look like this, then dont. (Had I started with the drill I wouldn't have the paint missing on the door slides and the marks in the front though)
photo (6).jpg

Last edited:

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA
Slide your down so the top of the door hole is at the bottom of the mod . Bend the door slightly pushing down on the left side of the door you will find magnets are not needed . I have a grand with no magnets its never had any magnets the door is snug and has never come off

Maybe I'm just tired, but I am have a difficult time figuring this out. Are you saying put the door on so there is a bit of the door hanging off of the bottom of the mod, then bend the bottom left corner?

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
Bottom left bottom right it doesn't matter but yes just a slight tweak to it and it will hold. I've run without magnets for extended times when they've fallen out. As far as removing you backwards magnets a soldering iron will work. Heat the magnet then tap the door on a hard surface so that the offending magnet can pop out. So don't hit the magnet point on the surface :)

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Maybe I'm just tired, but I am have a difficult time figuring this out. Are you saying put the door on so there is a bit of the door hanging off of the bottom of the mod, then bend the bottom left corner?

Yes puts a little tension on the door to body making it hold tight

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA
I had a magnet fall out the other day. I was bummed I thought when I order my TRA and all the goodies to go with it I'd just add in a few magnets. I pulled the battery to recharge and the magnet was stuck to the bottom of the battery. I stuck the magnet to the body magnet a drop of super glue in the door hole and stick them together slide the door away done deal. This might help keep bad things from happening like they did to the OP. Of course as always YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread