Status
Not open for further replies.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
The ProVari doesn't reset your voltage like the LT does. Basically, with the ProVari, if you set it for 5V then you get 5V. The LT will adjust it down to protect itself. I run a 3ohm Boge carto at 6V's but it only does 5.2V even with a fresh battery on the LT. With the ProVari, it will stay and supply 6V's.

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
I don't understand the difference between the ProVari and the Lava Tube. I see the difference of volt increase .1 and .2. Is there any other difference other than $120 more for ProVari?
Oh, now you've gone and done it! :laugh:

Can you say "Pandora's Box"?

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
The Provari has an amp limit of 3.2, the LT is 2.5. If you put a carto on and set a voltage that will exceed that amp limit, the LT automatically adjusts your voltage down, while the Provari shuts down with an error message until you lower the voltage.

The Provari holds the voltage as the battery drains. The LT will drop voltage on a low battery. When the battery is 3/4 dead, and you set it for 5V, the Provari will be delivering 5V. The LT may only be delivering 4.5V and you'll have to push the + button to get the same vape you got a couple hours ago when the battery was less drained.

I don't know about this business of delivering 5.2 volts while set on 6V with a fresh charge and a 3ohm carto. At 6V, a 3ohm carto is only drawing 2 amps, so if that's happening, it's news to me. According to the charts done by Pbusardo, the LT was delivering about 5.6V under load when used with a 3ohm carto. In fact, it compared favorably to the Buzz Pro in terms of loaded voltage when the current limit wasn't being invoked. No appreciable dropoff happened until it hit 3.5V. For 1/4 the price, I'll put up with a 0.4V difference.

My LT never even sees 3.5V. I vape it for 8 hours at a time and charge around 3.7 or 3.8 volts. I know the other, non L-Rider versions use PWM, so what they deliver in terms of voltage has nothing to do with what your vape is going to feel like. To compare them to the Provari is comparing apples and oranges.

Yeah, the Provari is built better. It should be. When the newer electronic revisions are available in the same body as the version 1 LT is now, the LT will provide 95% of the functionality and most of the reliability of a Provari for 1/3 the price. For now, in the real world, the Provari is a much better PV, but 3 or 4 times better? That's debatable and depends on how you value money. The people who claim otherwise strike me as the people who don't know the definition of "diminishing returns" and swear by the merits of $5,000 speaker cables. Sometimes the placebo effect has an impact that isn't backed up by the data. Of course, you also get prestige with a Provari that you don't get with a LT, and that's worth something.

here's the graphs: At the recommended 3ohm resistance, the LT compares favorably with the Buzz Pro that costs 2x as much. Taste Your Juice | VZ VV Tube Mod (AKA Lavatube) Full vs. Mini – Vaping Zone

Last edited:

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
I'm new to the variable voltage vaping thing and have only experienced it via my VTube, but what an experience that's turning out to be! I really loved my E-Power 14650 when I got it & it has served me well, but I forgot I had it since this vv PV got here - at least up until today. Now I don't doubt a Provari is a better-built PV, but whether or not it's worth the money depends entirely upon whose money we're talking about. I mean, all things are relative - some of 'em just won't claim me as their kin. :D

Whatever works, just works. Enjoy it today, & Happy Vaping! :vapor:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I'm not a ProVari owner so have no skin in the game, though I do have a Provape 1. A good deal of what you are paying for is service. If something goes wrong with the ProVari it will get fixed in short order. Try doing that with something made in China. It's not going to happen. If (when) the Lava tube breaks down you have a nice paper weight. With a ProVari if something goes wrong you send it in (made in the USA of course) with no cost if under warranty, and a reasonable cost if not.

When ProVari updated to Version 2 you could send it in and get it updated for $25. There is already an updated version of the LT in the works and without a doubt you will not be able to update it from a LT V1

Most of the time you get what you pay for, and with the ProVari that is certainly true. Same goes for the LT.

NGIB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2012
Hinesville, GA
Why do some folks buy a Mercedes and other folks buy a Kia? They will both get you from point A to point B. If you want one and can afford one get a Provari, you'll be happy I'm sure. If not and you can live with the limitations, save $100 and get a VTube. One thing you can't do with a VTube is brag that you have one though...

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
One thing you can't do with a VTube is brag that you have one though...

Bwahahahahaaaa! Of *course* you can! People can brag about literally anything - and some folks are so skilled at it they'll have people listening to their foolishness, rapt with envy! Observing such behavior is a great source of humor for me, and it's all around us, all the time. :D

natgas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2012
Magnolia, TX
I will disagree ONLY about service. I have 2 LT's, both from TW; one of them died on me about 10 days ago; I emailed TW and was told to mail it back to them. Yesterday I received a completely new LT in the mail. They emailed me 3 times during the process to keep me posted on the status.

Who says customer service is dead? TW has my business, especially when it comes to the LT.

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
Only way you could know is try both for a while. Unless you can borrow one of each, there are two thoughts on this:

1) Try the cheaper alternative first, because that makes more sense
2) Try the more expensive alternative first, because so many people say "you will never reget it".

This is why smart posters always include "YMMV". You will never know until afterwards which is the right decision for YOU. Welcome to ECF!

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited
I've had both. LT worked great, but for me the Provari always provides a consistent voltage so "what you set is what you get", always. The LT would drop off as the battery voltage dropped. On the other hand, I could fit a 3100mAh battery in my LT and vape for days (I do miss that). One other plus for me was that I was spending $$$ on trying to find the "perfect vape", I haven't spent a cent on PVs since I bought the Provari (other than consumables: cartos, tanks, juices...) so my balance sheet on spend vs savings has actually shifted me towards the savings side (although this wouldn't be an issue with someone more disciplined I'm sure ;-))

79Silo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Why do some folks buy a Mercedes and other folks buy a Kia? They will both get you from point A to point B. If you want one and can afford one get a Provari, you'll be happy I'm sure. If not and you can live with the limitations, save $100 and get a VTube. One thing you can't do with a VTube is brag that you have one though...

I like this... i totally agree with you NGIB

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
Honestly the question should be LT vs Ego twist because it seems the main argument is about cost. The ego twist is regulated unlike the LT. I got one for about $22. It has a decent amp limit (from my own test) of about 2.5. I also a have a provari and it is second to none. The provari is physically built with precision and durability. Once you get used to regulated voltage (which the lava tube doesnt have) it is hard to go back.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
Honestly the question should be LT vs Ego twist because it seems the main argument is about cost. The ego twist is regulated unlike the LT. I got one for about $22. It has a decent amp limit (from my own test) of about 2.5. I also a have a provari and it is second to none. The provari is physically built with precision and durability. Once you get used to regulated voltage (which the lava tube doesnt have) it is hard to go back.

This is a good point. I vape both a Provari and a Twist every day, as well as a KGO. All are good devices. The Twist gets you a pretty decent VVPV at an extremely low price. It's a good little unit, very portable (at least the 650mah) and delivers solid performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread